Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » WMD Search In Iraq Ends (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: WMD Search In Iraq Ends
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wish we'd pull out. I don't give a damn about politics. Elected officials get voted into office to worry about policy. The military is the instrument of that policy. I say that because while in San Diego there were quite a few anti-war demostrations at my base. As if that would make a difference. All I know is I hate seeing the casuality reports growing longer everyday with the names of people my own age fighting a war based on questionable reasons.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I often wish Bush Sr. had pulled out.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or had pulled in just a little deeper.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I meant "pulled out" as a sexual metaphor.

But if we'd invaded Iraq back then, life would be much easier now (for us and them).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But if we were to pull out now (nevermind Jason's clever historical fantasy), wouldn't that just leave a leadership vacuum in Iraq? Or at least leave a shadow government without sufficient manpower or strength to effectively enforce their rule? Wouldn't the country immediately fall prey to the startlingly resourceful and resilient insurgency? I mean we'd just be opening the door to a state-sponsored-terrorism wet dream, wouldn't we? Which erradication, if I'm not mistaken, was one of the primary goals of the exercise. I mean, not to mention we'd be abandoning the Iraqi people to whatever fate such a regime might impose. Goshen, if only someone might have considered these consequences before the invasion.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While reading today's newspaper I happened upon a short piece from journalist Thomas L Friedman, posting his rules when reporting from the Middle East.

quote:
Never lead your story out of Lebanon, Gaza or Iraq with a cease-fire; it will always be over by the time the next morning's paper is out.
The Israelis will always win, and the Palestinians will always make sure that they never enjoy it. Everything else is just commentary.
In the Middle East, if you can't explain something with a conspiracy theory, then don't try to explain it at all.
In the Middle East, the extremists go all the way, and the moderates tend to just go away - unless the coast is completely clear.
When one side is weak, it will tell you, "How can I compromise?" And the minute it becomes strong, it will tell you, "Why should I compromise?"
What people tell you in private is irrelevant.
All that matters is what they will defend in public in Arabic, in Hebrew or in any other local language. Anything said in english doesn't count.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Well, that explains why we only hear what really happened in ant situation about eight months later.

Nothing like a guidebook to sensationalism.

Baalam, you seriously think we did not buy ourselves the current anti-american attitude in Iraq by leaving Saddam in power at the end of the first gulf war?
You should check out Frontline's report on the matter....scary how badly GW1's administration blew the chance to make the region safer.
Saddam's own advisors (long since defected and on the record) stated that he was near-suicidal with depression from his belief that the US would take Bagdhad.

Aincent history, unfortunately.
All that matters now is (somehow) reducing the US occupying presence and making certain (yes, with UN oversight) the elections results are upheld.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way, what's the latest on Saddam? Has he been sent back to Iraq yet? Or is he still held in an "undisclosed location"?
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't believe he ever left Iraq.

For instance:
quote:
Saddam Hussein, who is being held in a camp near Baghdad airport, did not vote in the election, the US military asserted.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that's the airport that used to be named Saddam Hussein International Airport, right?

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Nim
Member # 205

I hear they serve a good corned beef sammich at Bagdad Airport. Maybe they could send one down to Saddam. After it's gone through security, of course.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I think Saddam's going for the whole "muslim Charles Manson" look just now.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or the angry, yelling, Fox News pundit, as we saw in his court appearance in July.

--------------------
Meh

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I thought that was Geraldo.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
Member # 205

And maybe he can wash it down with some Diet...
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps