Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » A blast from the past... (Page 5)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: A blast from the past...
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"That cartoon that Danish guy made has been stirring up a lot of trouble lately."

There were twelve cartoons. By different people.

"Sadly, the Iranian (idiot) president is calling for the state newspapers to have a 'Challenge the Holocaust' run of comics 'to see if the west can really practice freedom of speach then'."

"Speech". And I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that, if they do it, the grand total of Iranian embassies that get burned down over it will be less than one.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surely not?! YOu mean that the Jews wont got fucking insane over a cartoon?

Even a completely false or degrading one (like the ones that already run every day in arab newspapers)?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what exactly happened?
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jyllands-Posten_Muhammad_cartoons

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe I've just been called Jesus -- or Jeebus -- often enough that I've gone flash-blind to that sort of "insult", but it seems to my Psych 101 learnin' to be a very insecure response on the part of Iran/Muslims. I mean... it's almost like reading an account of some ghetto kid getting shot over a pair of shoes. They have no real sense of self-worth, so they ascribe so much worth or importance to arbitrary things outside the self that they have to defend something that others who are more secure in themselves would deem silly.

I'm proud of being Scottish (among other things), but it doesn't really matter beyond the realm of personal beliefs, so if someone points and laughs at the guy wearing the skirt, I don't feel like I have to kill him in a gory public spectacle to prove myself.

What are they protecting? Muhammed won't care! He's been dead for fifteen centuries! If those people offended by these cartoons were truly secure in themselves, they'd see them and feel pity for the poor Europeans who obviously don't understand Islam and its Prophet, and so fear it and feel the need to denegrate it. And then go on with their lives of quiet piety.

Wouldn't THAT be a fucking wonderful change of pace for the planet?

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

tricky
Member # 1402

- posted      Profile for tricky         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well considering between Israel and Iran is Jordan, Syria and Iraq, I doubt an air or land attack is possible, so they're not going to start declaring war on each other.

--------------------
Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DaBang wrote:
quote:
I dunno. Who? I don't read a lot of news surrounding the Iraq war/Middle Eastern politics anymore.
Sweden, that is my country, did. Just because we are their neighbors. Also, norwegian flags have been burnt because they look similar (red-white-blue to Denmark's red-white). And I think some swiss ones, also red-white and the name is sometimes mixed up with Sweden's.
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
What are they protecting? Muhammed won't care!
There's one thing that's a sure-fire argument against killing to defend the honor of your God: if your God was actually offended, and actually wanted someone to die because of it, do you REALLY think he'd need YOU to take care of it for him?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tricky:
Well considering between Israel and Iran is Jordan, Syria and Iraq, I doubt an air or land attack is possible, so they're not going to start declaring war on each other.

That was Iraq's reasoning back before Israel blew up it's nuclear reactor/refinery waaay back.

Israel wont (cant, really) allow anyone declaring they "want to kill all the Jews" to develop a nuke. They dont need to decalare a war- only launch an airstrike or three on select targets.
They'll suffer an increase in suicide bombers, but compared with a nuke, it's minor.

While the notion of a pre-emptive war seems an oxymoron, it's a grim reality there.

What's senseless is that Iran's president seems intent on provoking Israel as much as possible- not making anything easier on muslims anywhere and even drawing fire from Egypt and Saudi Arabia for it.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It makes me wonder when Jews, Muslims, and Christians can't get along. I mean, they worship the same fucking God... Sure the scriptures and teachings are different. But it's still the same God they're all worshiping...

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depends on how you mean the term. My conception of God as a Christian is different from a Jew's conception of God in some ways, and a Muslim's concept of God is far more different. They may all attribute the same historical events to God, but their understanding of his nature is different. So it's the same being, sure, but that doesn't make any difference if one or all groups have a mistaken understanding of how He operates.
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Economic Left/Right: -4.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.18

And I thought I was still in the economic centre of the compass. WTF?

Well, actually, after some thinking and a review of the questions, my sudden shift to the left may be due to the fact that I have lost a lot of faith in the corporate world, mostly in light of the business scandals that are going on these days, and the exploitation that takes place within such corporations..... But that alone should not be a deciding factor on my shift to the left. For starters, I would have considered voting Conservative in the last Canadian election, in which I would have favoured the tax benefits towards myself. Unfortunately, the conservative party had certain policies that would have been on the upper side of the Authoritarian/Libertarian scale. That and the fact that Stephen Harper would most likely be a patsy of George W. Bush.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Economic Left/Right: -5.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.31

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Daryus has helped to expand that creepy little cluster forming around the middle of the lower left quadrant. Much more support, and I fear they'll start forming an army...
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

So...me, Topher and Boh are all in the same mental place?

Hmmmm....

I wonder how this translates into the Trek galaxy quadrant map: Zephram is our only far-right Borg.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps