Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » GOOD Gun Control!

Author Topic: GOOD Gun Control!
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richmond, VA, and several other cities have finally made steps toward getting on the right track. You don't stop crime by punishing the law-abiding citizens.

"Project Exile." in brief, if you're caught with an illegal gun, whether you have used it in a crime or not, it's an AUTOMATIC 5-year federal prison sentence, with NO parole.

And whaddaya know.. criminal shootings there have dropped off dramatically! Crooks admit to being afraid to carry guns!

(Check "Time" magazine this week for more info - it's the issue with the "Blair Witch" cover.)

------------------
"When we turn our back on our principles, we stop being human." -- Janeway, "Equinox"

Chimaera
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like an interesting solution. It's about time the Americans started cracking down like this. Mind you, between what's considered a legal firearm, and how easy it is to legally get weapons in the US, it may not get a significant percentage of the guns off the streets. I saw a spot on 60 minutes recently about the concealed weapons law in Florida, its easier to get a permit for a gun than a drivers licence. So a crackdown like this won't solve the whole problem (if I'm not mistaken, that day trader in Atlanta got his weapon legally), but its a good start.

------------------
"But, it was so artistically done."
-Grand Admiral Thrawn

IP: Logged
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The objective is not to get guns off the street, but to get those who would use guns illegally off the street. If the streets were paved with guns, they would still be safe if the only people on them were not planning on stealing whatever you have at gunpoint.

Project exile lends credence to the theory that deterrence works.

--Baloo

------------------
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

HMS White Star
Member # 174

- posted      Profile for HMS White Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who it's easy to get concealed gun permits in Florida, that's nice however in TN I hear it is hard a hell to get a concealed gun permit.

------------------
HMS White Star (your local friendly agent of Chaos:-) )

Jedi Weyoun
Member # 110

- posted      Profile for Jedi Weyoun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HMS--I think you might be right. I'm in Nashville...allow me to make a slight joke to which i would normally object, though. *L* here, there's not much REASON to carry a concealed weapon. A lot of the people here who HAVE them, just keep then in a rack in their pickup.

hehehehehehehe

------------------
"Fear attracts the fearful"
([[[[[[*]}�������������������������

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps