Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Does life after high school rule? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Does life after high school rule?
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I'm 16, and in Grade 11. I move around alot, and as such, don't have many friends right now. [I'm just getting aquainted [sp?] with my surroundings.]

Now, here's the thing. I'm like, a really nice guy. I don't piss anybody off, nor am I into being malicious. I account all of this to my well-defined sense of morality. And due to this integrity, I am not into putting myself in detrimental situtations. I do my schoolwork, and receive better marks than the majority of the rest of the kids, which classifies me as 'not as cool as someone who gets pissed drunk the night before a test.' But, I'm not totally nerdling-ish.

And, I'm not a bad looking guy. Actually, I'm more atrractive than not. Slightly. But, I also have all of those qualities that women say they want in those damn magazines. But they still go for the captain of the football team, and they guys with the Camaros.

So I'm wondering; do nice guys actually finish last? And will the captain's of the football teams always finish first?

[I hope this made sense. I'm so tired, I can't focus on anything.]

------------------
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. Alright, give me the bomb" -Ultra Magnus, Fight or Flee

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I post a link below that answers (in part, at least) your question (read Real Story 4 first. The rest are useful too, to some degree).

http://www.scalzi.com/john/valentine.htm

Yes, Ultra Magnus (hopefully not your real name or I think we've discovered part of the problem ), women know what's good for them, and unfortunately, they avoid men who exhibit these fine qualities in droves. Instead, they are drawn to jerks like (proverbial) moths to a flame. Don't blame them, they can't help themselves. Fortunately, this tendency usually diminishes and, in some cases, disappears when they reach adulthood. Your best hope is to stay away from the ones who haven't recovered their common sense (no matter how good she might look in a string bikini). Don't think you can "rescue" her from her awful lifestyle either. It won't work and if you're lucky she'll only hate you for your trouble.

You don't want to date someone who thinks all men are jerks, but dates them anyway. Don't think for a moment she believes you're the exception. She might, but she will eventually begin to believe it anyway, even if you are Prince Charming. You wouldn't want her to be the mother your children, she'll just mess their heads up, too. If you don't think you'll have children, remember also that no form of birth control is 100% effective, including "the doctor said I was sterile". Trust me. I know.

Pick a potential mate (or date, for that matter), based on her honesty, joy of life, and what your mother and female friends would describe as "a wonderful personality". After a while, she'll start looking pretty good no matter her appearance. She'll become your standard of beauty anyway, as long as she cares about you, and you her. If she already looks good by "conventional" standards, so much the better. If she looks like she ought to be a model and you can't figure out why she would want to go out with you, do some more research before committing your heart. It's worth the extra work.

I was about to climb higher upon the soapbox when I figured this could turn into a senseless rant. I hereby relinquish the soapbox so others may contribute. Hopefully one of the Forum's distaff members will fill in many of the gaping holes in my logic, as well as adding much that I cannot, being "merely" male .

--Baloo

------------------
It is less important that you agree with me than it is for you to to understand what I'm saying.

http://members.tripod.com/~Bob_Baloo/index.htm

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited November 20, 1999).]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're ME, twelve years ago.

Welcome to Hell.

One: Women LIE when they take those tests. Either that, or they forget almost immediately afterwards. I call it the "flexed pecs" syndrome.

Two: It never gets better, except that SOME women wise up, given time. Of course, these ones are rarely the "head cheerleader" type anyway, so if it's that your after, it's better you abandon all hope now.

Three: Keep talking. If your life really IS paralelling mine, I can reccomend some fairly painless forms of self-annihilation. There's no need for anybody ELSE to gave to go through that.

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to take a moment and address the question stated in the topic line.

Life after high school is a trecherous neverending hell. The only highlight is that the girls live on their own. But that is quickly counterbalanced by their date named "Clint". As if. I mean, why even invite me in if that's the punchline to every anecdote? You could at least return my calls.

Uh...I mean, of course, life after high school is great. You'll like it.

------------------
"And if we weren't good to you, Dave, you shouldn't take it all the way to your grave."
--
Will Rigby

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Freedom is counter-balanced by responsibility. Generally in equal parts. Euphoria means having to pay for it.

And damned if the parents are not there to do the laundry any more.

------------------
If you can take advantage of a situation in some way, it's your duty as an American to do it. Why should the race always be to the swift or the jumble to the quick-witted? Should they be allowed to win merely because of the gifts God gave them?
Well, I say cheating is the gift man gives himself!
~C. Montgomery Burns

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Life after High School os MORE.

When it's good, it's better than anything you've experienced.

When it's bad, it's really, REALLY bad.

In between, it's usually better, if only because you get to make your own choices, even if sometimes it's choosing the lesser of 2 (or more) evils.

--Baloo

------------------
It is less important that you agree with me than it is for you to to understand what I'm saying.

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not all girls want popular captain-of-the-football team jerks, but most nice guys who complain about that only notice the girls who do.

------------------
--Then, said Cranly, do you not intend to become a protestant?
--I said that I had lost the faith, Stephen answered, but not that I had lost self-respect. What kind of liberation would that be to forsake an absurdity which is logical and coherent and to embrace one which is illogical and incoherent?

James Joyce, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

Tora: Read the articles. We never really get over the "amazon-in-a-steel-bikini" phase. We do, however, manage to broaden the definitions of "amazon" and "steel bikini" as we age. (By the time I'm 90, I expect they will have broadened to "female" and "alive" .)

------------------

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited November 21, 1999).]

Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Baloo: I'd be lucky if a comatose female noticed me

------------------
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. Alright, give me the bomb" -Ultra Magnus, Fight or Flee

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UM the only advice that I can give you is look beyond what you can see. Look beyond the physical and focus on the person. Take your time and find a person that you have a good time just hanging out with. One thing to remember is that people are drawn to someone like them. People who are together are very much alike. And make sure the person is not a complete nut job. Never jump into a relationship after hanging out with the person for only a few days or even weeks. That is the biggest mistake you can make. Get to know the person well and then take it from there.

------------------
Death before Dishonor!
However Dishonor has
quite a disputed defintion.

Member # 239

Tec: I have no problem with that. I'm more into personality than looks anyway. The problem is, everyone else isn't.

------------------

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice guys don't always finish last. I may not be the captain of the football team at my high school, although I am captain of the Academic Decathelon team. I drive a BMW, not a Camaro. I'm good looking, but I don't dress to impress. Yet everyone knows me because I'm nice, helpful, and have a high GPA. So what if I'm not being chased by the cheerleaders, I'm not interested in girls anyway. High school will always be a challenge, always. If you come out of there after four years sane, physically fit, and with knowledge, then you are ready for another task, college. There will always be something wrong during high school, heck, even in life. But you must adapt, or else you will suffer. How else do you think I've stayed sane and alive so far in high school. I just have two more years left and I take each day at a time. Ultra, you must adapt to the conditions there.

------------------
"All you people, can't you see, can't you see
How your love's affecting our reality
Everytime we're down
You can make it right
And that makes you larger than life"

-Backstreet Boys

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UM: Get a job, buy a sports car. Girls like TZ are few and far between.

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Life after school is great (at least it has for been for me).

I stayed at home when I went to college, but it was already better and my two years from 16-18 just flew by because I enjoyed them so much.

I then moved away from home to come to uni, and I haven't regretted a single day of it. My first two years at uni were the best of my life, and although my working life here in Manchester is not as good as university, I'm still around lots of people my own age (students) and we do go out and have a good time. Only you can decide your next move, but for me personally, life after school has been brilliant. I have one more year at university after this year, and I intend to enjoy every minute of it.

------------------
Do business with us, or we'll ruin you.

HMS White Star
Member # 174

- posted      Profile for HMS White Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Kosh I got a job and sports car, except to afford my sports car I have to work so many hours I can't have a life, not that I had one in the first place, but I digress.

------------------
"Think of all the delightful aspects of the reproductive process: menstruation, pregnancy, labor. And the part we're trying to eliminate is sex?" Cecil Adams the guy who does Straight Dope.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps