Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Does life after high school rule? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Does life after high school rule?
DT
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for DT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Frank, that's good advice... if you wish to be a geek! When the goal has anything to do with women not involving repulsing them, those instruments don't work much :-)

I bet TMBG combined don't get as much tail in a year as Sean Kinney does in a month :-)

And Ultra, it doesn't help to look like a musician. Women only like guys in bands, not guys who just wear flannel and Alice In Chains t-shirts.

------------------
"Look on the bright side is suicide" - Kurt Cobain
Milk It, Nirvana

David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure if anyone would still be interested in another reply to this topic, bit saw a documentary pretty much summarizing evolutionary psychology by its founder, David Buss, whose articles I can say make you think very differently about the way you relate to the opposite sex.

The frustration you are feeling toward women that you are around right now is due to their refusal to engage in long term mating: rather, I suspect, they are only in their current trysts for short term sexual satisfaction. Buss said that in the short term, heterosexual women look for men with hip/waist ratios of 0.8, adequate social competency and hierarchy rank, and exagerated features of masculinity (which at their extreme psychologists call supranormal stimuli), such as deep-set eyes, broad chests and shoulders, tall height, and large chins (Jay Leno? ).

Buss would predict your success is going to increase in a year or two when women begin using long term mating strategies, which include all of the above, but add wealth-earning potential and intelligence to their criteria, usually moving them up the priority list above the previous attributes. At that point you will start pulling out ahead and netting the real catches who are going to make the best child-rearing mothers that really make men happy for the rest of their lives (not the hyper-masculine entities that piss you off so.)

So hang in there! I am living proof of Buss's theory and I can tell you the view sucks while you're climbing, but once you get to the summit, it becomes a very worthwhile journey.

PS: It's good to see everyone again!

------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War, 6th century B.C.E.

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the woman I've had strongest feelings towards happens to be 25, and has presumably, (although the thought is a sickening one), been around the block a few times, if you know what I mean.

That said, she's engaged to a 35 yr old. A lesser fox would despise this man on sight due to raging jealousy, but not I. .....

I despise him because he's a git.

------------------
"I cannot live out that life.
That man is bereft of passion... and imagination!
That is not who I am!"

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David: Say what?

------------------
--Then, said Cranly, do you not intend to become a protestant?
--I said that I had lost the faith, Stephen answered, but not that I had lost self-respect. What kind of liberation would that be to forsake an absurdity which is logical and coherent and to embrace one which is illogical and incoherent?

James Joyce, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.

David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, Tora, without recounting about a month of a semester-long personality psychology course, I'll try to summarize the reasoning of David Buss as best I can.

An assumption of evolutionary psychology is that we have not progressed much beyond our hunter/gatherer days that comprise over 95% of human existence.

That said, men and women both are looking for certain characteristics in their mates that will facilitate the passing on of his or her own genes into as many reproductions of one's self as possible.

Men, who expend comparitively few resources in reproductive machinery (the penis, testicles, and several milliliters of semen made in a few hours), are looking to mate with as many women as possible who will safely bear children into the world and then be able to rear them into self-sufficient adults. Therefore, men (ideally) look to have sex with as many women as they can (so it may be said that men can be pigs ). Men look for a waist/hip ratio of 0.66 indicating the woman's ability to carry a child. They look for well formed breasts that can produce sufficient amounts of milk. Men look for women who show no outward signs of disease (blotchy skin, physical deformities, clear eyes, especially the whites, etc.) and are athleticly fit but with enough body fat that childbearing will not pose a health risk (i.e. not heavy-built or muscular, but curvy). They also look for women who are faithful and will not mate with other men behind their back.

However, since women over the long run require monogamy, men look for the most ideal women when they can not mate with multiple women. Therefore, to maximize their children's capacity for survival, they look for the most intelligent women that can impart the most techniques for later use.

Women expend comparatively large amounts of resources in reproduction (a large reproductive system and nine months of childbearing) and therfore look for the best candidates for children so they can get it right the first time and not expend resources on children who have little chance of survival. Women look for men who are physically fit and do not display outward signs of genetic deformity, again, clear skin, muscular build, and low occurrence of disease. They also look for men who have more exaggerrated masculine features indicating earlier onset of puberty and fertility (the reverse goes for men too). Women, who spend much more time in the hunting gathering group while men are off hunting, look for social protection from group rivals. Therefore they look for men who have competence in appropriating resources from the group in large enough quantities to support children.

Over the long term, women, like men, understand that intelligence is correlated with survival and choose mates with higher intelligence then other group members and who use it toward garnering more resources.

Buss's conclusions are that men's emphasis on women's physical attractiveness is a deep seeded instinct to maximise the survival of the species. A woman who most men consider attractive is also the one who is likely to produce the most offspring. Buss also states that the women's emphasis on a man's fidelity and wallet are evolutionary strategies to ensuring the survival of the species too. Buss conducted his major study on many different cultures to see if these characterisitics are shared by members of each sex in different areas of the world (37 different cultures I think).

Some have criticisized his research saying that women are in disadvantaged positions all over the world. to counter this criticism, Buss did a content analysis of lovers' ads in the paper of rich women to find what they were looking for. To skip to the chase, he found that rich older women were not looking for a young stud, but still looked for a rich older man who would provide for them, should they have any children.

Buss's work has shown very strong evidence that many of the sexual and reproductive behavior we engage in are consistent across time and location, and that knowing how they work can lend insight into many of the frustrations we experience as sexual beings.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to post them. I've probably left out stuff that people would like to know more about, but I can't think of much more to say in a first draft summary of a huge and encompassing theory that is still in its growth.

------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War, 6th century B.C.E.

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Ulta, I'm very much like you(although I'm one year ahead of you in Grd. 12 at Canada).

So what we're "a little bit" nerdy and who actually care for our marks(which of course, have a great impact for our future). We may not be like the so-call "cool" people(heavy drinking, wild parties, etc. you name it, oh, by the way no offence if any), in which there are not that many, we can definiately still have a fun and not to mention a lot more PRODUCTIVE life! I personally have tons of friends who share the same thought.

For the "magazine statistics", I will probably reconsider the reliability, and "high school romance" are seldmon serious(most of them don't even last for two months for God's sakes!)

In the mean time, I say that we kick back, enjoy our "teenage innocence"(if any), and leave the "relations" stuffs for the older dude(again, no offense if any).

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See? Monty's right. There was a bunch of Asian guys on my floor. I didn't hate them because they were Asian. I hated them because they were shits who treated everyone else like left-over crap.

If you're gonna hate people, find a personality reason. And NO-ONE thinks that the Euphonium is a cool instrument, NO-ONE.

------------------
"Sorry Wendy, I jsu can't trust something that bleeds for five days and doesn't die."

Mr Garrison

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Uh, this is taking into consideration that there are exceptions to every case, right?
2. When was this thing written? It sounds rather sexist.
3. This is all supposedly going on in our subconscious, right? I doubt guys worry about furthering their genetic line when they check out girls, and I don't remember when was the last time I liked a guy according to his waist/hip ratio.

"Therefore, men (ideally) look to have sex with as many women as they can (so it may be said that men can be pigs)."

Can't argue with that.

"They look for well formed breasts that can produce sufficient amounts of milk."

Is there actually a scientific correlation between large breasts and milk? It seems unlikely because many Asians have small breasts, but their population isn't any smaller. Or it could just be some unfounded assumption on males' part.

"Over the long term, women, like men, understand that intelligence is correlated with survival and choose mates with higher intelligence then other group members and who use it toward garnering more resources."

I hope he's not implying that women value intelligence later than men. Maybe it's just the way you worded it.

"Buss's conclusions are that men's emphasis on women's physical attractiveness is a deep seeded instinct to maximise the survival of the species. "

I always thought it was because men are more visually oriented. A higher ratio of men are artists, for example.

"Buss did a content analysis of lovers' ads in the paper of rich women to find what they were looking for."

Like, duh. A woman who would post ads for a companion probably desperately wants the security to begin with.

I can't help thinking that this whole thing is too much of a generalization. Humans sound rather like lab mice. Perhaps you should mention more evidence for this theory.

------------------
--Then, said Cranly, do you not intend to become a protestant?
--I said that I had lost the faith, Stephen answered, but not that I had lost self-respect. What kind of liberation would that be to forsake an absurdity which is logical and coherent and to embrace one which is illogical and incoherent?

James Joyce, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the euphonium is a cool instrument.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"I'm still amazed at how unintuitive the Windows world is and how it tries to mimic the Mac." - John de Lancie

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not as cool as the Piccolo though......

------------------
"The battle is raging inside my weary heart
screaming for me to let it all go...
My body is weak and I can't take the struggle anymore...
the love that was here is filled up by anger and rage..." ~FOM

Gepta001
Member # 231

- posted      Profile for Gepta001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
life does get somewhat better. Alot of women mature, they get tired of being beet, or abused mentally, women appreciate respect, sometimes it takes em a while to notice. My advice, dating in high school is a joke, sorority girls in general are stupid. Mabey try the whole internet dating thing?

-FTM

------------------
funniest TV quote.....

"A small penis is a clean penis"
-Matt Real World Hawaii

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yup. Nothing cooler than a man playing a flute with a growth problem.

And I'm still upset than no-one's got annoyed at my .sig yet. In Lee's absence, I'm trying to be offensive.

All that stuff about furthering the genetic line has largely been observed in nature too.

------------------
"Sorry Wendy, I just can't trust something that bleeds for five days and doesn't die."

Mr Garrison

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Looks @ Liam*. Good Lord. I didn't notice that! I hope that twit Germane Greer doesn't read that.

------------------
Samaritan: "A good hot curry will help heal your wounds. That is, unless your religion forbids it".

Man: (Eyes growing wide) "No religion forbids a good hot curry".

-From some movie.

DT
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for DT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank: You're a dork, though.

Liam: I know, I'm trying my hardest too. See the above portion of my post. As for your siggy, I don't get it :-)

I'll respond to the sex stuff in the morning (afternoon) cause I don't like to think about women before I sleep. It makes me depressed. I prefer to be upbeat when I sleep. Oooh, that reminds me, I got to put on some NIN

------------------
"Here is another word that rhymes with shame" - Kurt Cobain
Blew, Nirvana

Gepta001
Member # 231

- posted      Profile for Gepta001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DT: I too listen to NIN sometimes before I sleep, they are one of my favorite bands. Trent Reznor is definatly the man.

PsyLiam: I love the Southpark reference, I had actually been thinking about using the same signature.

To everyone else: I'm suprised I havent gotten any comments on my signature.

-FTM

P.S. or why hasn't anyone asked what FTM stands for?

------------------
funniest TV quote.....

"A small penis is a clean penis"
-Matt Real World Hawaii

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps