Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Does life after high school rule? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Does life after high school rule?
DT
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for DT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn, Simon kept me up rappin bout his latest scores down on the corner, so I had to respond to this thread.

That guy is a bloody genius! He's hit the nail on the head. Thanks dude for posting that. It somewhat explains why the girls in the circle that considers me a "punk rock faggot" are more attracted to me than the girls who consider me a "lanky metalhead."

Of course, I'm a freak. I'm far more interested in a girl's ass than in her breasts (not that those aren't important, cause if they weren't, how could I consider myself shallow?). But I think we've already proved that I'm an anomaly, some sort of fuck up in the evolutionary process.

To express some of Ziyal's concerns, well, yes, it is sexist. But it's damned accurate too! Women, for the most part, are like that. And yes, they DO look for that hip ratio. But it's just expressed as "Wow, he's so handsome" as opposed to "He's so dorky looking" and you've probably done the same yourself.

Now, if only we could find a way to make this more useful. I'm always for using science to further, well, gittin some. Cause afterall, isn't that the true meaning of life?

------------------
"Rape me, do it and do it again" - Kurt Cobain
Rape Me, Nirvana

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I HATE MEN!!!!!!! AGH!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to move to the wilderness and become a hermit. A bitter hermit. And I'll be HAPPY that way, too! So there!

~LOA

[DISCLAIMER: This outburst was not cuased in any way by this thread... the outburt was there, ready to happen... this thread just prompted it to come out... please, carry on]

------------------
"The battle is raging inside my weary heart
screaming for me to let it all go...
My body is weak and I can't take the struggle anymore...
the love that was here is filled up by anger and rage..." ~FOM

DT
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for DT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well dude, I figured that FTM meant "Faster Than Monty" as in you're faster in bed than he is. (see, I just insulted three people, my fellow Trent Reznor fan, Monty, and of course Chuck, who claims the title as fastest in bed. thus, Lee should be proud)

Loa: What, that's not aimed at me? Damn, I try to tick off as many people as I can.

------------------
Rape Me, Nirvana

Gepta001
Member # 231

- posted      Profile for Gepta001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FTM doesn't mean anything so creative, just plain old Fizzbin Table Moderator, because I am the Fizzbin Table Moderator. If you don't know what that is, I could put a link in my signature.

-FTM

------------------
funniest TV quote.....

"A small penis is a clean penis"
-Matt Real World Hawaii

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No-one is faster than Monty in getting into bed! The lady says the word, and it's straight down to business!

However once there I wish to make it plain that I take my time. Ohhh yeah.

Am I being offensive enough yet?
Shall I metamorphose into Fat Harry White off Radio 1?

Joking aside, I find women a total enigma. Their capacity for duplicity is remarkable, and their taste in men is, frankly, a cosmic joke. It's a good thing I'm so incredibly arrogant or I might call into question just what an incredibly gorgeous fox I am.

------------------
"I cannot live out that life.
That man is bereft of passion... and imagination!
That is not who I am!"

David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tora, I'll try to respond to your queries as best I can. The exceptions you are thinking of Buss would say are the sexual behaviors of humans that come from non-evolutionary pressures. So, to speak, they are exceptions to the behaviors the theory predicts, but it would be better to say they are behaviors that are not exceptions, but rather results of other behavioral pressures (e.g. culture, past experience, location, interpersonal circumstances). This theory first got started in the early 1980s, so it's had about 20 years of research to support it or reject it. The verdict from psychologists on the cutting egdge is that Buss is definately onto something and his results are definately statistically significant. But they caution that his theory is only one part of many kinds of influences that impact our sexual behaviors. I would venture to say many think he's got it right, but that there are other things going on, so it's up to scientists to figure out how it all fits together.

I'll admit when I first read his theories I thought they were sexist, but after reading the experimental evidence and talking with my professor about it, it must be understood that both his theories can be right and women can live equally meaningful and productive lives as men.

Good question about the subconscious. I'm not sure even Buss knows for sure. It may be a genetically programed behavior to look for certain characteristics in the opposite sex or a conditioned set of biases. Buss conducted an experiment to tease apart these factors and got interesting results. He had a young child (less than a year old, I don't remember exactly how old) put in front of two televisions spaced apart so the child could crawl to each one and look at it without seeing the other television at the same time. On one television there was an attractive member of the opposite sex, on the other a relatively unattractive one. Buss measured to time the child spent gazing at each face and found children looked longer at attractive faces than unattractive faces. This experiment would indicate that there is some genetic programming for looking at attractive individuals over unattractive.

The piece about the breasts I should articulated better. What he meant by well formed breasts are breasts that are not deformed in any way anatomically or by disease (which would most likely be measured by looking at skin blemishes; a big tumor on the breast would not be sexual turn on for a man).

The valuing of intelligence isn't something that necessarily comes later or sooner for either sex. Rather, the timing of when people begin to look for it more probably is a result of their current goals in mating. Men or women who are looking for the simple experience of sexuality with little regard to marriage or extended child-bearing would not look for long-term characteristics in sexual partners. Hence, many people in situations where they have little intent of following up their sexual experience with a long-term relaitonship (e.g. high school, college, vacations) would not look for wealth-earning potential or intelligence as much as sexual potency.

According to one of my professors, men are not necessarily more visually oriented. I think there may be some studies showing that across cultures showing that women in cultures where they are not socialized to be non-visual infomation gatherers show as much arousal to erotica as men. However, I will need to check up on this before I commit to it.

Good point about the content analysis expeperiment! If I can ever get my hands on that experiment, I'll see if he tried in any way to control for the desperation factor (although I cna't think of any way right now; it ould just be an experimental flaw).

The theory is definately not meant to be a predictive tool for every sexual situation. Buss would probably say that the theory sounds so generalized precisely because it is general to all members of the human species; deviation from the predictive behaviors would be a result of cultural factors or other factors mentioned above.

Liam, I forgot to say that I hoped you would chime in too since I'm pretty sure that you would have been exposed to this theory too. Feel free to fill in any gaps in my explanations!

------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War, 6th century B.C.E.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DT: Well, which is more original, playing the euphonium or playing the bass?

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"I'm still amazed at how unintuitive the Windows world is and how it tries to mimic the Mac." - John de Lancie

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I play the Mellophone and French Horn, though I haven't touched either for several years.

Being a band kid did NOT do wonders for my social life. As a shy, naive, funny-looking kind-of-dweeb, but a nice one, I was teased mercilessly by the female of the species.
Oh, I had come-ons tossed my way, but after a couple of ones that were set-ups for further embarassment, I refused to take any of them seriously. This probably didn't help matters, since I was already dense enough I couldn't have picked up on anything less than a blatant aproach -- which was likely to be just another setup. (Vicious Circle, see?)

Anyway, after my Deconversion, Crack-up, and entrance into college, I adopted a Dan Fielding guise(Lechery). This is ALSO a bad idea. Fortunately, I returned to being me in time for grad school, where I was simply tormented by women again.

Then I got a job, and met a girl at the library who was just as screwed up as I, and we've been together over two years now, and although we will never satisfy Buss by producing offspring, we have a lot of fun practicing.

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still think that piccolo is the way to go... but maybe I'm just biased

~LOA

------------------

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prefer piano, personally. Pretty hard to play in a marching band, though...

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My band did not hold piccolo players in high esteem, referring to them as "pick-yer-nose."

However, on the band social scale, they still outranked drummers -- "dumbers" -- and majorettes -- "major regrets."

Hmm. Now that I think about it, NOBODY in our band held anybody else in high esteem.

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, the drummer is truely the less evolved member of the band.

BTW< in previous mentions of band, I wasn't referring to a marching band. And bass wasn't referring to a tuba. It was Bass Guitar. And since I know more people that play tuba than bass guitar, I'd say it was more original.

(It's only 2 BG against 3 Tuba thoug. And one of those plays both. Dang).

Being in a rock/pop/metal/Dingo's ate my babies band is cool. To a degree. To be brutal, being in a marching/wind/clarinet trio/barbershop quartet isn't.

------------------
"Sorry Wendy, I just can't trust something that bleeds for five days and doesn't die."

Mr Garrison

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And David, I would chime in, but I've kinda dropped Psychology. So it's up to you I'm afraid.

------------------
"Sorry Wendy, I just can't trust something that bleeds for five days and doesn't die."

Mr Garrison

DT
Member # 80

Yes, I'm with Liam on this. Anyone in a band is a geek. I'm referring to rock bands. Punk, metal, anything where it is 3-6 guys on stage jamming. Women get excited by that. Don't ask me why.

------------------
Rape Me, Nirvana

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

As someone that hangs out with a lot of bands... I can say that I don't agree that anyone in a band is a geek... but that's just my opinion

~LOA

------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps