Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Something that has touched a nerve with me (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Something that has touched a nerve with me
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Elim: I think people are homophobic because they think that, deep down, they might be gay themselves. And that scares them...

------------------
New sig coming soon!

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To tell the truth, I wondered about the "gayesque" tag. I didn't know if it was a reference to homosexuality or (yet another) famous person (last name: Gay) I have never heard of.

What is the politically correct term for the "campy gay voice"? I've seen it used without insulting anyone except perhaps the folks who find anything remotely related to homosexuality deeply offensive.

--Baloo

------------------
I once lost my corkscrew and had to live on food and water for several days
-W.C. Fields
http://members.tripod.com/~Bob_Baloo/index.htm

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to blow up a lot of balloons with my comments.

I don't like the concept of homosexuality. I think it is VERY immoral and kinda ruins the definition of a family.

But I'm not homophobic. I have a couple of homosexual friends, one I've known since High school. I get along with them both well, and I converse with them in the same manner before I found out that they were homosexual.

I know a co-worker who is homosexual. We get along just fine. We talk about current events often. We crack jokes at each other.

The key word here is Tolerance. Tolerance allows you to get along with a person and ignoring his outer characteristics. Tolerance allows you to know a person and not a stereotype.

Anyone wants to take a rocket launcher and blow my head off?

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

[This message has been edited by Tahna Los (edited December 22, 1999).]

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok.. Here comes another one of Alshrim's Common Sense posts... for some of you, you know what I'm like!!

I don't think you can choose your sexuality. If you're gay.. you're gay.. You don't learn to like the same sex.. it's not like a decision you make -

"oh.. I think I'm gonna start looking at men today to see if that gives me kicks !!"

That doesn't happen.. and for those of you who think that... get a helmet, before you fall down and hurt yourself. One can't choose their sexual-orientation like they choose their car or underwear. (sorry.. the sarcasm is just flowing outta me today)

At the same time .. (here comes the devil's advocate) people of the gay community (and that's what some of the gay people out there call themselve; which by very nature seperates themselves into distinct society) get way... way too sensitive about their own sexual-orientation. Quit looking at it as something special or different.. IT'S NOT There are millions of people just like you. My god, there are more blonde jokes out there then gay jokes.

Being Canadian, do you know how many time I have to listen to Americans slam the fact that we say "Eh" at the end of a sentence. Like that's most unusual thing we say.. How 'bout when Americans say .. "I'd like to AXEDT you a question. " What's that.. ??? but you don't see us whine about it.

I have a friend, one I deeply respect, who just recently told me he was gay. I've known him for about a year, and had always suspected he was gay. I am a bit of a joker .. like to laugh, and sometimes like to say things that some people may be afraid to say in public! Well, I used to talk to this guy, jokingly, in a "gayesque" style voice and manner. And he'd talk back to me the same way.. We'd actually flirt just to be funny... AND I'M NOT GAY.. but nor am I homophobic. When he came out, I told him, I wouldn't insult him by ever stopping the way I was with him. And he laughed at me ... Thanked me .. shook my hand .. and hugged me.. The guy is one of the greatest friends I have.

But he never complained .. or whined about how some people perseved his sexual orientation. HE was COMFORTABLE WITH THE FACT THAT HE WAS GAY.

I feel for you, man.. really I do. I can only imagine that it can difficult having a sexual-orientation that some people just aren't comfortable with. Don't get me wrong. But when I see this friend of mine facing life as happily as he is .. head held high with pride and comfortable with who is ... I shake my head when people sharing his orientation have to make a statement by telling everyone how pissed they are.

If someone is not comfortable with they way you are, man.. big freakin' deal. Make it their loss that they can't get to know who you really are. But by making a big fuss over nothing like this.. people won't care about what their missing.

------------------
- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax

DT
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for DT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ED stands for Erectile Dysfunction, which is the medical term for impotence, which is my nice way of saying Simon can't get it up (see, that's a joke, I was able to make the comment that my friend can't have an erection and you didn't see him going nutso over that, didja?)

------------------
"Sell the kids for food" - Kurt Cobain
In Bloom, Nirvana

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and DT, I suppose saying something like this:

quote:
And get a clue! You weren't created that way! You evolved that way! What messed up school did you go to?

Makes you so much more tolerant than the rest of us, eh? If you want to diffuse the subject, I suggest NOT making comments like that, lest you find someone's foot lodged permanently up your ass (IF a foot can FIT in there with your head).

I WILL NOT tolerate comments like that here. Yes, some teasing about being gay is fine. I really don't care if people make fun of the gay camp voice, or make dyke jokes (even _I_ make dyke jokes, and I'm half dyke!), or whatever. But there ARE limits to what ANYONE should say, including you, and you've just stepped your ass over the line.

That quote not only totally insults gay people for being gay, but insults them by saying that they are undereducated or being perverse. Now I don't care if you think we ARE perverse, but keep it in your own head.

And I totally Agree with Alshrim. *claps for Alshrim*

------------------
"SHOES!"

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This according to my father, who, having taught both chemistry and human behaviour and development for the last 33 years, can be considered fairly knowledgeable on the subjects:

"Current thinking among developmental psychologists is that homosexuality is NOT a 'lifestyle choice,' but rather an inherent condition within the person.
The fact is, homosexual and heterosexual brains are structured differently, both physically and chemically. It is currently believed that the structure differentiates as early as the first trimester, and that the change can be caused by the pregnant mother undergoing certain stresses during that time."

So. You're BORN gay, and your RELIGION is your 'lifestyle choice.'

So if the Fundies really want to do something about homosexuality, they should be seeing to it that no pregnant women undergo stress. (yeah, THAT'S likely. Fundie ideals only thrive under stress.)

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*bows graciously to Jubilee* Thanks for the Cudos!

------------------
- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry, but if heterosexuality was the minority, would you really feel the same way? Just because something may be a minority doesn't make it right to condemn it.

Fine, I can't say it like Alshrim and Jubes, but that's my main feeling on the subject.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The issue with heterosexuality vs. homosexuality is that homosexuality defeats the whole purpose of sex.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"My son and I have this wonderful kind of rivalry. Since I've taken over the Mac department in our home, he's seen fit to take over the PC. I have a routine I do for him, walking down the hall, bumping into walls, doing corkscrews and stumbling. I tell him I'm a Windows operating system." - John de Lancie

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RE The Minority thing. It's unfortunate, but if you deconsturct humour, you will often find that it onvolces putting people into groups, at that the laughter comes at the expense of one group. Even the worst joke in the world:

"What's brown and sticky?"

"A stick"

could be claimed to come from putting the reciever into one group (a group clever enough to undertand what you were suppossed to think, and the subversion when it becomes something else) and everyone else into another group (people who didn't get the joke).
Everyone is in a minority. So you don't see people going around cracking "straight jokes" (although I'm sure someone can supply a few), there are still Black jokes, white jokes, chinese jokes, japanese jokes, male jokes, femlae jokes, redhead jokes, blonde jokes, old people jokes, American jokes, English jokes, Scottish jokes, sheep-shagging jokes, and so on.

You eliminate them all, this place will threaten to become even more repressed and anal that it already is.

------------------
"Obesity. Adiposity. Corpulence. Whatever word you use, it represents one thing: being a big fatass."

Geraldo Rivera

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...And then the anal people will start sniping at the repressed people (and vice-versa)!

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

Frank Said: homosexuality defeats the whole purpose of sex.

Where I respect your opinion Frank, I'd have to disagree..

One of the biggest fantasies for MOST males is to see two women having sex while they either participate or watch ... Where's the defeat in that?

See.. when faced with that visual, the thought of same-sex couples having sex doesn't seems so bad now does it?

It's still homosexuality.. it's just more socially acceptable to have two women engaging in a sexual act then it is to have two men participating in it. Men feel uncomfortable touching another man unless it's a firm handshake, or a 'manly' hug to say... "You da man! .. good touchdown, or great goal, or .. whatever sports oriented celebration you would choose to add" Because it sometimes threatens our sense of manlyhood to think that we too may have this cuddly soft interior, that some homosexuals have no trouble whatsoever in sharing with the world, where we straight men tend to hide it in the face of being Mr. Macho.

I'm not saying anyone here is like that.. But it is a fact!!!

They don't call it sexual-orientation for nothing.. homosexuals DO have sex.. it's just not the kind you would have!

------------------
- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax

[This message has been edited by Alshrim Dax (edited December 23, 1999).]

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once again, I clap for you Alshrim. I think we need to get to know eachother outside the forums, you seem to share my point of view on a great many things.... ;-)

------------------
"SHOES!"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the purpose of sex, I was referring to reproduction. But you wouldn't know that these days.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"My son and I have this wonderful kind of rivalry. Since I've taken over the Mac department in our home, he's seen fit to take over the PC. I have a routine I do for him, walking down the hall, bumping into walls, doing corkscrews and stumbling. I tell him I'm a Windows operating system." - John de Lancie

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps