Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Something that has touched a nerve with me (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Something that has touched a nerve with me
Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sunspot you are not the only one who must deal with jokes and/or insults for something you can't change. I have an identical twin and have had just about every insult and joke thrown my way. I've learned to deal with it and ignore most of what is said.

------------------
Death before Dishonor!
However Dishonor has
quite a disputed defintion.

Sunspot
Wasting Away
Member # 77

- posted      Profile for Sunspot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im not, nor have I ever,said thatI am the only person out ther that gets made fun of. I just feel that here (the Forums) shouldbe a place where everyone should feel comfortable,etc. If Isaidsomething about a racial/religious group in a similar manner as the thing I posted on Pg1, I would have beenspoken to by CC or someone. Orsome action would have been taken. I just dont think that anything that could be seen asinsultingagroup of humans should be accepted here as a 'joke' *damn laptop spacebar...*

Iam not uncomfortable about my orientation(s) [?] I just feel that someone has to taketheinitive sometime, to try and prevent hurt feelings. I mean, especially here. I cant really explainit, I just feel that way.

BTW - Merry XMas!

------------------
If the government has no knowledge of aliens, then why does Title 14, Section 1211 of the Code of Federal Regulations, implemented on July 16, 1969, make it illegal for U.S. citizens to have any contact with extraterrestrials or their vehicles?

My Stuff!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Poor repressed Frank.

------------------
"The demon was an idea, the demon is awake. Scratch mark left across the surface of your mind. This hour now upon us, the hour has now arrived."
--
Soul Coughing

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see your point Frank.

But there's a lotta people making babies ... There's no real threat of extinction here.. (unless someone let's loost a couple of missles).

But I'll tell ya.. when I have sex.. Not thinkin' of reproduction ...

Thanx again Jubilee. I'm in Ottawa Canada... Far from you I'd imagine

Sunspot: In a sense I agree with you too. There are times when enough is enough!

And Merry Xmas to You all too!! Despite our varied opinions ..We're still family

------------------
- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*looks from Jubes, to Alshrim, to Sunspot*

*wonders if he can add anything but support*

What they said.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alshrim:

"But there's a lotta people making babies ... There's no real threat of extinction here.."

Exactly...homosexuality would seem to be a characteristic of overpopulation, then.

"(unless someone let's loost a couple of missles)."

ANNIHILATE! KILL! KILL! KILL! Er, um.

Sunspot:

"If Isaidsomething about a racial/religious group in a similarmanner as the thing I posted on Pg1, I would have beenspoken to by CC or someone. Orsome action would have been taken."

Actually, not really, especially here in the Flameboard (which is more or less unmoderated in terms of content).

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"My son and I have this wonderful kind of rivalry. Since I've taken over the Mac department in our home, he's seen fit to take over the PC. I have a routine I do for him, walking down the hall, bumping into walls, doing corkscrews and stumbling. I tell him I'm a Windows operating system." - John de Lancie

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What evidence is there to say that Gays are born Gay? If they were born gay, then there'd be some evolutionary feature about homosexuals to allow them to reproduce the same way as normal people do.

Men and women fit together properly. They copulate, and mate, creating babies.

Men and men don't fit together. They can't have babies.
Women and women don't fit together. They can't have babies.

I find it VERY hard to believe that homosexuals are born gay, because the basic purpose of humanity is to reproduce. Gays cannot do so.

As such, I believe that homosexuality is either a chemical deficiency, (as many psychologists and anthropologists are turning toward) or a psyosomatic (sp?) disorder in which the individual has been reared in a manner which lends itself to homosexuality.

------------------
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. Alright, give me the bomb" -Ultra Magnus, Fight or Flee

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless, as I was suggesting above, homosexuality is a population control mechanism.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"My son and I have this wonderful kind of rivalry. Since I've taken over the Mac department in our home, he's seen fit to take over the PC. I have a routine I do for him, walking down the hall, bumping into walls, doing corkscrews and stumbling. I tell him I'm a Windows operating system." - John de Lancie

Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A natural one? I don't really think that's the case. If nature wanted a natural population controller, there'd be a predator higher up on the food chain, not homosexuals. Although, homosexuality does seem to enforce the 'survival of the fittest' theory.

------------------
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. Alright, give me the bomb" -Ultra Magnus, Fight or Flee

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ultra..

When you were 12 or 14 years old, and the hormones in your body started to kick in .. when you went out, saw a girl and thought: "hey she's a hotty!"

Did you make that decision?? Did you actually go out of your way to make a choice... Like..

"Should I go for a man or woman?? Hmmm.. let me see.. let me weigh the pros and cons!"

NO... You just liked the girls.. or the guys.. depending on which way you swing. I don't know how many times I have to say this.. Not a choice..

If your Bi-Sexual.. well.. whole new ball'o'wax.

I think I know where you're going with the Chemical factor in one's brain.. but let's not call it a 'deficiency'. Because this would be to say that Gay people are freaks.. They're not.. they're human like you and I ... Chemially.. they are different... But by the same token.. Chemically.. we are different to them..

------------------
- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If homosexuality was a genetic thing, then homosexuality wouldn't exist any more. The genes would have been bred out of the species long ago, since, as has been pointed out, most homosexuals don't reproduce.

Website I heard about at [www.narth.com]. Havn't looked at it yet, but from what I hear, they've got good evidence that homosexuality is NOT genetic, and have had very good results in, for lack of a better word, converting homosexuals to hetrosexuals.

And yes, you can choose who you're attracted to. It's simply a matter of effort. I happen to find myself attracted to redheads with wavy hair, big brown eyes and freckles, but if I was so inclined, I could simply stop noticing females that fit that discription (all two of them) and start noticing, say, tall, skinny girls with black hair. At first it would take a consious effort, but after a while, it would become simply a habit. Nothing in your psyche is unchangable.

------------------
"Arthur hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realised there was a contradiction there and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife."

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

Yes.. but did you always like girls.. forget about whether they have red hair or not... Did you stop to think whether or not you like girls or guys.. or did you just always like girls..

Me, personally... I've always loved women... there was never a choice in it.. at 8 years old I wanted to cop a feel... guys never even entered my mind.

Did you ever walk down a street and think ..

"Hey that guys is gorgeous.. but you know.. I've chosen to like girls.. not guys.. so I may as well forget it.."
NO.. you didn't .. you've never had to make that choice.. because you were born hetro... That's that!!

And I never said it was genetic.. I don't beleive that either.

------------------
- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax

Member # 239

But then it depends on environment, or chemical imbalance in the brain, doesn't it?

If a child is brought up by a domnieering mother, and submissive father, it is proven that more likely than not, that child will be homosexual.

We just spent three weeks in Psychology class discussing this. Now, if someone could prove to me that Gays are born Gay, than I might reconsider.

But, all of the evidence, reasoning and just plain common sense says that there's no way that they're born gay.

If they were, than they'd either have evolved to accomodate reproduction, or have been 'phased out' by the survival of the fittest.

Why would we, as a species, have them if they didn't do anything to further the race. (I'm talking the basic drive to reproduce.) Why would there be a naturally stagnant group?

If they are natural, and not just confused or such, It doesn't make any sense as to why they haven't accomodated reproduction. None at all. Unless they're not born that way, and choose to be so.

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must agree with Omega. There is some excellent data showing how effective terror and hatred works at forcing homosexuals into a happy, closeted lifestyle.

------------------
"And she stands beneath the mistletoe screaming. For him to stand beneath the mistletoe, screaming."
--
They Might Be Giants

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to compare homosexuality to a disease, but the most relevant example I can think of at the moment is one (bear with me please).

If you are of African descent, there is a chance you carry the gene for sickle cell anemia. If you have one gene for the disease, you will not develope it. However, if you inherit the gene from both parents, you will develop sickle cell anemia.

Doctors did not understand why a gene that could cause a disease would be so prevalent. They figured that after a few generations, the gene would be eliminated. After much research, scientists discovered something interesting. The people most likely to have the gene for sickle cell anemia lived in areas where malaria was a severe health threat. As it turns out, people with one gene for sickle cell anemia are resistant to malaria. People with the gene are less likely to contract the disease than people without it and if they do get the disease, the symptoms are much less severe.

Similarly, gender preference could be governed by a combination of genes that confer a strong survival advantage. After all, we are quite different from our nearest relatives in the animal kingdom with regard to sex. We humans are revved up all the time, at least compared to the rest of the animal kingdom. Since our females don't have an obvious estrus or "heat", it must be necessary to have a number of characteristics that ensure we (collectively, anyhow) mate with the right sex often enough to ensure the reproduction rate outstrips the death rate.

Males lack any highly sensitive sensing ability which could clue us in to which female is "in season". Likewise, females lack the knowledge or instinct of when they are most likely to conceive, and are thus not driven to mate when they are fertile. Perhaps the genes (I'm sure it can't be just one gene) for human sexual behavior are so complex that the combination that wires the brain so it knows what to go "Hubba, Hubba!" for can occasionally wind up telling it's host that the correct mate is the same sex.

Obviously, there are plenty of us around, and I'll bet the ratio of straight to homosexual persons has been relatively constant throughout history. Of course, since I am not a biologist (and a scientist by method only) I can't say that those are the facts, but I've read enough on the subject to know that real scientists (with letters after their names and everything) postulate much the same theory. No-one's sure whether it's correct yet, but it seems to be the way to bet right now.

--Baloo

------------------
When only the police have guns, it's called a police state.
-- Bumper Sticker
http://members.tripod.com/~Bob_Baloo/index.htm

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited December 24, 1999).]

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps