Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Something that has touched a nerve with me (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Something that has touched a nerve with me
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Homosexuality might be a case of incomplete dominance. People heterozygous for the "gay" gene would be bi, and be able (and likely) to have both straight and gay offspring.

It's also possible that a number of homosexuals copulate simply due to societal pressure, producing more. This would probably have been more widespread in the past, and if gays today are more likely to recognise and be less embarressed about what they genetically have been programmed to do, then the chances of them having children will probably decrease. If this is the case, homosexuality will "unbreed" itself into oblivion; something that was impossible when a chunk of the gay population was having kids.

------------------
"Is this real life? Is this just fantasy?"
-Queen, Bohemian Rhapsody

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"It's also possible that a number of homosexuals copulate simply due to societal pressure, producing more."

*L!*

When I first read that statement I misinterpreted what you meant. It sounded as if you were stating that homosexual couples could reproduce.

[Raps self sharply on the side of head.]

Yeesh! I haven't even mixed up the eggnogg yet. I'd better not drive tonight, that's for SURE!

------------------
When only the police have guns, it's called a police state.
-- Bumper Sticker
http://members.tripod.com/~Bob_Baloo/index.htm

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*grins @ Baloo*

------------------
"Is this real life? Is this just fantasy?"
-Queen, Bohemian Rhapsody

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sol:

Do you always assume that anyone who changes their lifestyle had to be forced to do so? This place I mentioned: people can leave any time they wish.

Alshrim:

My point was that it's not beyond people's control. It's not "Oh, I was born gay, and there's nothing I can do about it." It's more like there's nothing they WANT to do about it. If a homosexual chose to become a hetrosexual, all it would take (well, takes, since it has happened) is a little effort.

------------------
"Arthur hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realised there was a contradiction there and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife."

Sunspot
Wasting Away
Member # 77

- posted      Profile for Sunspot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Homosexuality *has* to be, in some part, genetic. I mean, my childhood was perfect, no stresses or anything that Ive read could cause deviating from the norm.

BUT...a few weeks after i came out to my family, my father confided in me that he was familiar with what I was going through, since he, himself is bisexual. To me, that seems like the gene groups were passed on..

------------------
If the government has no knowledge of aliens, then why does Title 14, Section 1211 of the Code of Federal Regulations, implemented on July 16, 1969, make it illegal for U.S. citizens to have any contact with extraterrestrials or their vehicles?

My Stuff!

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*nods*..

I think it sometimes skips a generation or something.. None of my aunts or uncles (and certainly not my mom) were homosexual or bi-sexual, but I have a couple cousins on my mother's side who are Lesbians, and I'm Bi. Go fig.

------------------
"SHOES!"

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well first of all UM's statement about it being proven that they will be come homosexual if they have a dominerring mother and a submissive father is not quite true. There is a correlation between the two. A correlation is far from a direct link. Plus there are two kinds of homosexuals, genetic and behavioural. In genetic male homosexuals there is a correlation between their orientation and having the XXY chromosome group. There is also the chemical imbalances. Behavioural homosexuals have a correlation to their environments.

------------------
Death before Dishonor!
However Dishonor has
quite a disputed defintion.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Omega, I can only go by what I know. And so I must ask myself, how exactly would I feel about some nice people wanting to help me see the evil of my sexuality, and show me a way out of it? At best, it's silly and downright offensive.

"Now, just look at this picture of Kevin Sorbo. Look how sweaty he is. Doesn't that do anything for you? Just imagine, those big strong hands..."

Needless to say, I would not be amused. At worst, and it seems to me the worst scenerio is the most likely, such an experience would be absolutely horrifying.

"You stupid, stupid idiot! You don't even know where to put your genitalia!"

Thanks, but no thanks. Whether my sexuality was created by nature or nurture, it's still mine, and I am less likely to change it than I am to gain an affinity for drilling holes in my skull.

------------------
"And she stands beneath the mistletoe screaming. For him to stand beneath the mistletoe, screaming."
--
They Might Be Giants

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh.. Yeah, people are "free to leave that place at any time."

Just like anyone who wanted to was "free to leave" the USSR... according to what the Leaders SAID.

Theory and practice, however, as Institutionalized Christianity has often demonstrated, are quite different things.

In my experience, anywhere where they make a point of telling you "you're free to leave at any time," they're really not saying that at all. Oh, they may SAY it, verbally... but you know when you hear it that that's not what's implied.

"you're free to leave... just sign these papers against your country..."
"you're free to leave... just ring the bell, washout."
etc.

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

TerraZ
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's the point of trying to explain it? All you've done for the last dozen posts or so is to try to explain their "problem". Now I know I writing this for nothing since you all have your opinion about homosexuals but I just want to make a point.

People who hate homosexuals do so either because they learned to (probably from their family) or because they just do for no reason at all. I'm not gay but I respect them and I always have and I don't think there's anything wrong with it. People who don't usually try to find all sorts of explainations to justify their hatred, much like racial hatred.

Why, one of my classmate is a pure case of homophobia and a perfect example. I like to confront him with it just for fun and he's really passionate about it. He always have all those theories about how it's not natural, how seeing two men kissing would teach children to be gay and destroy the whole concept of family (a concept that doesn't amount to much these days with all the divorce and the like). Everytime I prove him wrong on one of his reasons he finds something else. It's really deep. Why the other day during a party, one of my friend was talking to him about money scams and said "Mais admettons que tu te fais fourrer..." (it means "Let's say you're being scammed" but "fourrer" also means "fucked") and he really got angry and ordered him to rephrase that, just because the sentence could mean, out of context, that he's being fucked. I tell you the guy's nuts and other homophobiac, even if they're not as extreme, are just as shallow in their reasonnig.

It's really funny to what length people will go to justify their hatred, be it for race, sexual orientation, religious choice, etc. By the way, that guy's also against immigrants, the handicaped and the elderlies (he thinks the latter two should be disposed of but only if they don't bring anything to society anymore) and firmly believe in the necessity of the strong and the weak. He says the strong should take advantage of the weak and the weak have to manage on their own and not get exploited. That's typical thinking for someone who's "Strong". Just think of where we would all be if we killed all the handicaped and elderlies. Stephen Hawkings anyone?

Going back to my comments, I say we should all be tolerant toward others. No matter their differences, if we don't like it, we should at least respect them. But I'm pretty sure nobody here will even see my point. Not anyone who needs it at least.

------------------
-If you ask me, I think continuity is highly overrated...
*Brannon Braga*

-Where were you when the brains were handed out?
*Sonic the Hedgehog*

IP: Logged
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It might not be an "in-every-case" kind of thing, but I have read that virulently homophobic people are quite often latently homosexual themselves. They do not consciously recognize this, because their whole self-concept hinges on not being homosexual (for whatever reason). They hate homosexuals and homosexuality because they fear it. Homosexuality threatens their sense of self.

[I'm tired and just "hit the wall". If I had anything intelligent to say after the above, I've forgotten what it is. Good night.]

--Baloo

------------------
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge... others just gargle.
--MoosieGirl (From the SDMB)

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that some homophobics could be suppressed homoexuals or display latent homosexual qualities, and their security is threatened.

For instance, there was this one kid in my class who was vehemently homophobic. One time during algebra, he was talking to his friend, and was caught by the teacher, who said something along the lines of: "I know you like each other alot, but try to pay attention." Upon which, the student in question, retaliated verbally, and was kicked out of class spewing obsenities at the teacher.

After awhile though, I started noticing that at patries and such, he'd never hang around with girls. And, he's somewhat attractive so he gets asked out sometimes, but he's always "busy", or has "other plans".

I'm not saying he's gay, but he may be demonstrating this theory.

[I'm tired, and doped out on candy canes (They have a depressive affect on me), so sorry if this makes little or no sense.]

------------------
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. Alright, give me the bomb" -Ultra Magnus, Fight or Flee

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

Candy canes... Why do you think they're shaped like hooks?

------------------
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge... others just gargle.
--MoosieGirl (From the SDMB)

DT
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for DT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Goodness! I am not going to get into this whole long "how do you decide if you wanna do men or women?" thread, because, really, I don't care. Anyone's sexual preference doesn't matter to me. And I'll personally penetrate almost any woman that has a pulse, but I'd only do Gavin Rossdale, so really, I'm pretty sure as to which side I swing.

But I have to defend myself, as to the comments in regards to my supposedly vicious comments, the ones that sparked this.

Get a bleedin clue! How completely oversensitive, ignorant and bleedin stupid do you have to be to find that offensive?! The major debate going on was evolution vs creation, and its being taught in schools. Thus, I mocked your comment endorsing creation with a humourously satirical comment regarding the superiority of evolution. If you can get offended by that, then don't even bother reading anything with my initials prefacing it, cause I ain't going to watch people's feelings. Crap, no wonder Lee won't come back.

Anyway, I've had a chance of heart, lemme try to make a completely offensiveless post.

BEGIN POST

END POST

There we go, that worked! Although I'm sure the mute would think I'm mocking them. DAMMIT! I need to go listen to some NIN and hate you all.

------------------
"Sell the kids for food" - Kurt Cobain
In Bloom, Nirvana

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I felt the love in that post.. thank you for enlightening us all !!!

------------------
I feel more like I do now, then when I first got here!! :)

- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax;

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps