Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Something that has touched a nerve with me (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Something that has touched a nerve with me
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*walks away while shaking head and muttering something about paranoia*

------------------
"Arthur hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realised there was a contradiction there and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife."

DT
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for DT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was that about me?!?!

------------------
"All in all is all we are" - Kurt Cobain
All Apologies, Nirvana

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know we left this a long time ago, but I think I should comment on something.

"Theory and practice, however, as Institutionalized Christianity has often demonstrated, are quite different things."

First, I think you know this, but don't you remember it has always been the governments choosing the religion and not religion choosing the government. Christianity, and I'm sure most other religions, are at there best when they are not supported by or trampled on by a government.

More importantly, unless you are new here, I would think all of us are sick of the subject. We can't even stay focused on it without talking about other things. Take me for example.

------------------
Peace on Earth

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bryce: an example of what?

------------------
CONSERVATIVE, n. A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them with others.
--Ambrose Bierce
<B>Come Hither and Yawn...</B>

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>"First, I think you know this, but don't you remember it has always been the governments choosing the religion and not religion choosing the government."

Really, now?
*RichardDawsonspeak* Survey says...
*bzzt!*
XXX!

The "divine right" of kings.
The Church putting kings on the throne and claiming the exclusive right to crown them.
The Interdict.
The "Holy" Roman Empire.
The Crusades.

throughout MOST of medieval history, the Church was the dominant power in Europe, and EVERYBODY knew it.

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1st of 2: I think you're barking up the same tree, just at a different branch. During that time period, the Church was a form of "uber-government". If the church didn't like the way you ran your kingdom (dutchy, whatever) they'd give special permission for your neighbors to attack you and assure them that they were doing God's work. The Catholic church was more of a government (or racket, to tell the truth) than a religious organization.

--Baloo

------------------
CONSERVATIVE, n. A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them with others.
--Ambrose Bierce
Come Hither and Yawn...[/B]

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited December 30, 1999).]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still is, if you ask me.

The point being, though, was that the church pretty much had the ultimate authority over who should rule and who should not. And nobody BUT the church had any authority over who ran the church.

It's like old 1920's Chicago. If the Mob liked you, you got elected. If they didn't, you got whacked. Hence, a lot of people who got elected were beholden to "the family."

Saying "the government chose the religion" is like saying "the aldermen chose the mob." When the machine is the only game in town, you play the machine.

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They do First; Henry chose to leave the Catholic church and all the the Islamic groups that run Middle Eastern countries choose to make their countries Islamic states. The U.S. chooses not to reconize a religion at all.

------------------
Peace on Earth

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, going by one possible definition of the word, then homosexuality isn't "natural". In that it it's detrimental to the survival of the species, and that the parts don't quite fit.

Well, actually that's a tricky one. Homosexuals could argue I suppose. But first, a serious question. When does a lesbian lose her virginity? At least with male gays there's stuff going in, even if it's up the drain pipe rather than the oven, but women?

------------------
"Obesity. Adiposity. Corpulence. Whatever word you use, it represents one thing: being a big fatass."

Geraldo Rivera

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liam, you really, really need to watch the movie Chasing Amy.

------------------
"20th Century, go to sleep."
--
R.E.M.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the added kick of incest and murder plus those kickass little words "based on a true story", may I recommend Sister, My Sister as a good, well dyke flick?

------------------
"Is this real life? Is this just fantasy?"
-Queen, Bohemian Rhapsody

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've just managed to buy Clerks. One at a time...

------------------
"Obesity. Adiposity. Corpulence. Whatever word you use, it represents one thing: being a big fatass."

Geraldo Rivera

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liam, I only mention it because that exact conversation occurs in the movie.

"...while you hammer away, never noticing the bored look in her eyes."

"Hey, I always notice."

------------------
"20th Century, go to sleep."
--
R.E.M.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Eh, I'm starting to think like Kevin Smith.

Er, did they come up with an answer?

------------------

Geraldo Rivera

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

A gay thread I haven't offended anyone in!? What's wrong with me?

------------------
Peace on Earth

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps