Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Something that has touched a nerve with me (Page 6)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Something that has touched a nerve with me
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bryce: You'll notice that many, if not most, of the revolutions that have happened in Islamic countries recently have been those run by Islamic Fundamentalists: Re: Iran, Afghanistan, Algeria, The Sudan, and Egypt (the terrorist attacks, in any case).

These would be clear attempts by the religion to choose the government, would it not? Democracy is the anomaly, not the status quo.

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed. Religion like anything else is a tool. Which has been misused. If the concept of God had not occured to humanity, there would have been another vehicle to propel the same people to power.

------------------
"That is the metaphorical equivalent of flopping your wedding tackle into a lions mouth and then flicking his love spuds with a wet towel".
- Rimmer

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are looking at this from two different angles, that's all.

My orginal meaning (a few days back) was that the Roman Empire made Christianity its religion. Christianity did not choose the Empire. The same thing happens today when a general takes an island and announces everyone has to worship whoever he wants.

I understand your view; you see the religion as using the general to take the island. I see it as the rulers want the people to worship who they want.

------------------
Peace on Earth

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The difference is in the rulers de jure (legally) versus the rulers de facto (in reality).

For instance, the rulers of the US, de jure, are the people, through the government.

The rulers de facto, however, are large corporations and political action committees. Most people know this, but very few want to believe it.

The rulers de jure in the middle ages were the kings and nobles. The rulers de facto, however, were the priest class and the Church.

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but that is after the fact.

History clearly shows the the Roman Emperor chose Christianity as the state religion after his conversion. Most people will tell you that the Roman state corrupted Christianity, and there are examples that support this.
1) The Pope was given lands from the emporer to govern. 2) Pope Leo X is considered to have been an aetheist. He supported the Ren. heavily (and if I remember right) published "The Prince", the political science work (it does not come from a Christian pt. of view).

------------------
Peace on Earth

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm hoping to be mistaken here in thinking that "Ren." is meant to stand for the Renaissance.

------------------
"20th Century, go to sleep."
--
R.E.M.

Mythril
Member # 286

- posted      Profile for Mythril     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every one is isulted or bullied, one time or another. Just get over it.

Humanity is composed mainly of idiots, and the lucky few who are able think for our selves must endure them. Eventualy they will just de-evolve to primates, while the rest of us will asccend into a state of pure thought.

------------------
I am not responsible for the stupidity of other people.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

have you been hanging out at anti-social.com, or what?

------------------

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

No your right, I just didn't want to spell it all.

------------------
Peace on Earth

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See, I was afraid of that. Are you implying then that the Renaissance was a horrible, wicked, and sinful affair, then? "Oh my God, they've invented perspective! To the rack with them!"

------------------
"20th Century, go to sleep."
--
R.E.M.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps