Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » My favorite Amendment... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: My favorite Amendment...
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Also happens to be one very few people seem to be familiar with, despite the fact that it is in the Bill of Rights:

Amendment IX

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Basically, it means that just because some rights are spelled out, this does not mean that these are all there is.

Comments?

------------------
When only the police have guns, it's called a police state.
-- Bumper Sticker
http://members.tripod.com/~Bob_Baloo/index.htm

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited December 23, 1999).]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the tenth ammendment better:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

------------------
Mephistopheles's Repossessions and Furnace Works
C/O
Mephistopheles, Cain, Brutus, Medici, Torquemada, Richelieu,
Metternich, Tweed, Rasputin & Daley, Attorneys-at-Law
1 Perdition-on-the-Styx Plaza
Dis, The Nether Regions

"A Hell of a Law Firm"

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now YOU sound like the OLD DT I remember. Very "states' rights."

Funny, that. I'll have to remember to ask about that.

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, then the old DT had some good ideas. Centralized power should be at bare minimum. NASA and the Military are the only national government programs that I can think of that couldn't be better handled at a state, local, or corporate level.

As for the new DT, no comment.

------------------
Mephistopheles's Repossessions and Furnace Works
C/O
Mephistopheles, Cain, Brutus, Medici, Torquemada, Richelieu,
Metternich, Tweed, Rasputin & Daley, Attorneys-at-Law
1 Perdition-on-the-Styx Plaza
Dis, The Nether Regions

"A Hell of a Law Firm"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I think the US military is too large and cumbersome, and having state-level militaries would be more appropriate. Those in the military wouldn't have to go very far from their homes except in the event of a war, and if there were a war, only those states who want to participate would be required to. California's military (or whichever) would think twice about getting involved in conflicts that don't concern it (Vietnam, Serbia, etc.), but in the event of another major World War, most states would be willing to fight.

I also wouldn't mind some independent walled cities. Nothing beats that for self-government.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"My son and I have this wonderful kind of rivalry. Since I've taken over the Mac department in our home, he's seen fit to take over the PC. I have a routine I do for him, walking down the hall, bumping into walls, doing corkscrews and stumbling. I tell him I'm a Windows operating system." - John de Lancie

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[begin sarcasm]

Why don't we just raze Washington, forgo the benefits of living in a society and go back to living in caves? We have lost of guns to defend ourselves against some sort of organized despot like we all know Bill Clinton is.

[end sarcasm]

However I found this to be quite interesting. From the evil ACLU.

And this one as well from a great source, FindLaw.

------------------
Simpson, I am by most measures a successful man. I have wealth and power beyond the dreams of you and your clock-punching ilk. And yet, I've led a solitary life. The fair sex remains a mystery to me. You seem to have a way with women, a certain, how should I put it... Animal magneteasmuh [sic]. Help me Simpson, tell me your secret.
~C. Montgomery Burns

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited December 23, 1999).]

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's the point of having no centralised military/government programs? Isn't that a major reason why it happens to be called the "United States of America"?

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but I'm not so sure the "United" part is working especially well.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"My son and I have this wonderful kind of rivalry. Since I've taken over the Mac department in our home, he's seen fit to take over the PC. I have a routine I do for him, walking down the hall, bumping into walls, doing corkscrews and stumbling. I tell him I'm a Windows operating system." - John de Lancie

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you trolling for a reason, Frank?

------------------
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. Alright, give me the bomb" -Ultra Magnus, Fight or Flee

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Huh? I want to live in an independent city-state. Is that too much to ask?

------------------
Frank's Home Page

Omega
Member # 91

Why don't you move to Litchtenstien, then?

Just what do you think would happen if the federal government disolved? After the manifold wars between former states to see who got to keep the nuclear technology, that is. The individual states wouldn't be able to defend themselves. And before you say that they could form alliances, that's what we're supposed to have now that's spun out of control.

------------------
"Arthur hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realised there was a contradiction there and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife."

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

I want more options, though!

I'm not talking about the elimination of the federal government, I'm just talking about a decentralised military and the removal of some regions from that government.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RE: ACLU link

*Does not remember being taught freedom of privacy!*

Does anyone remember that the Constitution says there shall be no establishment of a religion?

------------------
With 17 hours of class, guess what I'm doing.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not familiar with the American constitution (I'm Canadian) but where exactly does it say that?

------------------
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. Alright, give me the bomb" -Ultra Magnus, Fight or Flee

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Bill of Rights refers to the first 10 amendments of the U.S. Constitution. Here's a link to the National Archives and Records Administration Bill of Rights main page.

--Baloo

------------------
When only the police have guns, it's called a police state.
-- Bumper Sticker
http://members.tripod.com/~Bob_Baloo/index.htm

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps