Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Damn you Guinness! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Damn you Guinness!
DT
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for DT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say we ban alcohol!

Who's with me?!

Now, this probably isn't a problem in the UK, but for us Yanks, I say we ban it.

------------------
"Here is another word that rhymes with shame" - Kurt Cobain
Blew, Nirvana

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been there, done that, got the T-shirt (Thanks and a tip-o-the-hat to 1st of 2 for that phrase) and it didn't work! When you ban a substance as easily manufactured at home, with as great a demand for (and so little social prejudice against) it as alcohol, you are really doing nothing more than turning law-abiding citizens into civilly disobedient criminals.

Heck, I have all the ingredients necessary to manufacture home-brew in my kitchen! I use it to make bread.

So what's the problem with Guinness? Try serving it at a warmer temperature than just-out-of-the-fridge ice cold. And eat something before you indulge.

Sheesh!

--Baloo

------------------
"Politicians and diapers should be changed regularly, for the same reason."
--(Unknown)
Come Hither and Yawn...[/B]

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited January 06, 2000).]

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Leave the blessed and holy potations alone. They're damn good most of the time, and it's the idiots who over-indulge that are the problem... NOT the alcohol itself.

------------------
"SHOES!"

DT
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for DT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But we can't have pot? That's odd

------------------
"Here is another word that rhymes with shame" - Kurt Cobain
Blew, Nirvana

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, _I'm_ not the one who said Pot should be illegal. *LOL*

------------------
"SHOES!"

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, tell you what. You can have booze, and you can have pot, but we catch you doing either and driving, (thereby putting others' lives in danger, rather than just pickling your own brain cells at home) we shoot you. Sound fair?

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't we just shoot him, anyway?

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fine, you go put the blindfold on him, and I'll stand here and take aim... whoops. Sorry.

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DT, I don't know what experiences you've had with alcohol in the past, but there are many ways it can be used in a positive way.
Take a dinner party. You sit there, there are twenty people that just came from work , they feel stressed, not social. then they get an apetizer, or in my country sometimes a snaps, and suddenly everyone knows everyone.

We've been down this road before, guys. I don't drink very often, even though I'm old enough to purchase the strongest stuff there is, and I for one don't feel comfortable with going to a bar everyday after work. And many people do that.
I also have parents that HAVE had problems with alcohol because they felt miserable.
But I still feel the good outweighs the bad, if you have control of it. And my country have had very big problems with alcohol in our history, believe you me. In the 1920's a farmhand was entitled to one snaps in the morning to get up, one before lunch, one during, one on the afternoon, one to dinner, and one before bed. About two litres every day.
I share your hopes DT, there are many accidents and tragedies that would dissapear if alcohol was cancelled, but it is a part of our history. Every culture that existed have found ways to produce it.
The best solution, as always, is to know when to stop.
It all comes down to responsibility, discipline and common sense.
The biggest problem as I see it is stopping kids from drinking. When I was in seventh grade there were kids having parties and drinking and smoking themselves silly. That's one of the roots of the problem.

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Banning doesn't work. Just discourage, as long as you don't discourage it in church.

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

And I meant disencourage excessive drinking, not drinking as such.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn Guinness eh? That's like blaming Omega for the rise of Hitler.

Besides, without Guinness there can be no black and tans! I say bah! Leave my Guinness alone!!

------------------
Smithers, do you realize if I had died, there would be no one to carry on my legacy. Due to my hectic schedule and lethargic sperm, I never fathered an heir. Now I have no one to leave my enormous fortune to. No one.
~C. Montgomery Burns

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited January 06, 2000).]

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega caused the rise of Hitler?!

I must let the world know!!

*rushes out*

------------------
"I suppose you thought I was dead? No such thing. Don't flatter yourselves that I haven't got my eye upon you. I am wide awake, and you give plenty to look at."
Household Words, Aug. 24, 1850
From the Raven in the Happy Family

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jay: Could you clarify that? Is Omega german or did you hint on Sir Guiness role in "Hitler: The Last Ten Days". I am so sarcastic nowadays that I can't tell anymore!

(CC glancing down on the thread from his little fluffy cloud "*sigh* The desperation they turn to in the hope of keeping the thread alive. *sigh*" *points his finger and fires lightning bolt* "ZAAP"

------------------
-You are crazy.
-I thought I was pisces.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nimrod:

Don't worry. I'm not sure I get it myself.

My paternal great-grandmother was German, actually, but she came here in the early twentieth century. Not that Jay knew that, mind you. I just thought it was an odd coincidence.

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps