Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Damn you Guinness! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Damn you Guinness!
DT
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for DT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will take First's solution.

And for those of you who didn't get the subtle irony, I'm using this to say that "Hey, we can get tanked but we can't get high?" and point out that contradiction in the law.

------------------
"Here is another word that rhymes with shame" - Kurt Cobain
Blew, Nirvana

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personal experience:

When I went to basic training, I had been "indulging" in the nasty illegal herb for over a year. Not continuously, but frequently.

[Side note:] I told the folks at the induction center, not to get out of enlisting, but because if you tell them about it first, it won't be an issue if it comes out later (like being investigated for a security clearance). They sent me to the psychiatrist, who asked me, alternately:

1. "Do you need marijuana to get to sleep at night?"

Me: "No."

2. "Do you think you can follow orders?"

Me: "Yes."

He asked those two questions several times, rephrasing them each time. I'm not sure what the point of the exercise was, unless it was to see if I'd get confused and answer differently than before. He wrote something very illegible onto a form and told me to take it to the next station. They let me enlist. (I have since seen that very document and examined it carefully. It is completely illegible. For all I know he may have written down "This guy is a nut-case! Don't even THINK about letting him enlist!"

[Back to the subject:] I had been in basic training for over two weeks when something amazing happened. I was standing guard duty, studying my little "How to Be an Airman" manual (not the real title) when I suddenly realized: My memory had come back!

This was doubly amazing since, up till then, I hadn't noticed it's absence!

My guess is that, if marijuana were legalized, anyone who uses the stuff should be restricted from certain jobs (care to drive or operate heavy machinery?) until they have been off the stuff for some period of time? How long? I don't know if my case is typical. I look back and figure I was a heavy user, but I also realize that I knew some folks who, while not burned out as I was, seemed to recover their faculties much more quickly than I.

With Alcohol, there is a large body of knowledge regarding how much is too much, and how long one must wait for your body to metabolize the alcohol, prior to doing anything requiring all your wits and coordination. Pilots have a saying: "12 hours between the bottle and the throttle." While inaccurate, it is not completely so. With Marijuana, I would suspect that the amount of time between indulgence and full unimpairment would be significantly longer. I do not plan to resume using the leafy stuff when I am fully retired from the AF, mainly because I missed so much during my burnout days. I had fun, but I can't clearly remember what it was that was so much fun.

Legalize? If you must, but carefully!

--Baloo

------------------
"Politicians and diapers should be changed regularly, for the same reason."
--(Unknown)[B]
Come Hither and Yawn...

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited January 07, 2000).]

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a non sequitur. Banning guinness makes as much sence as blaming Omega for the rise of Hitler. See. Oi.

------------------
Smithers, do you realize if I had died, there would be no one to carry on my legacy. Due to my hectic schedule and lethargic sperm, I never fathered an heir. Now I have no one to leave my enormous fortune to. No one.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GUINNESS

THE PERFECT PINT!!

'Nuff Said!!!

You have my opinion on this.

------------------
I feel more like I do now, then when I first got here!!

- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax

[This message has been edited by Alshrim Dax (edited January 07, 2000).]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bah, you all fell for this. DT's got Irish blood in him. Him not drinking Guinness would be like, er, an Irishman who doesn't drink Guinness.

------------------
"Obesity. Adiposity. Corpulence. Whatever word you use, it represents one thing: being a big fatass."

Geraldo Rivera

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And what would you call me ...

A Frenchman who loves Guinness???!!

A .. umm.... Guinn-enchman !!

------------------
I feel more like I do now, then when I first got here!! :)

- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax;

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have Irish blood in me and I'm not a big fan of the stuff.

------------------
Death before Dishonor!
However Dishonor has
quite a disputed defintion.

DT
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for DT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then you're not REAL Irish :-)

And if we got rid of Guinness, the Gallagher Brothers would never come to America.

Baloo: Yes, I agree, we need more research into the effects of marijuanika (damn, I can't get that Sandler song out of my head!) so we can proceed with legalizing it.

Many of my friends do pot. I've been around guys while they're blazed, and they're probably more lucid than I am. I wouldn't want them driving, but that's about it.

------------------
"Here is another word that rhymes with shame" - Kurt Cobain
Blew, Nirvana

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And most people at uni over here do it. Well, the interesting ones at any rate. Of course, we've got less of a problem with the cars and guns while under the influence thing, mainy because:

1/ No student can afford to run a car.

2/ No-one owns a gun.

See? Easy.

------------------
"Obesity. Adiposity. Corpulence. Whatever word you use, it represents one thing: being a big fatass."

Geraldo Rivera

Justin_Timberland
Member # 236

- posted      Profile for Justin_Timberland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let me count how many things of the top of my head that are illegal in the Los Angeles area that people still do anyway...

Drink and drive
smoke pot and do drugs
speed on residential streets
running over pedestrians
selling drugs
smoke
sex in cars
sex in public places
sex in the clubs

The last three only applies to the West Hollywood area

------------------
Sometimes I run
Sometimes I hide
Sometimes I'm scared of you
But all I really want is to hold you tight
Treat you right, be with you day and night
Baby all I need is time

-Britney Spears

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, smoking in buildings is rather on the outs in LA. Now that I have quit, it doesn't bother me as much as it used to. But in general it still isn't outlawed.
------------------
Smithers, do you realize if I had died, there would be no one to carry on my legacy. Due to my hectic schedule and lethargic sperm, I never fathered an heir. Now I have no one to leave my enormous fortune to. No one.
~C. Montgomery Burns

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited January 08, 2000).]

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Running Over Pedestrians?

Like a criminal would choose that over, say robbing a 7-11?

"Look, Pa, there's them daggone street walkers, 'gain. Step on it!"

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember playing streetball with some guys who were totally smacked. I've gotta say, basketball doesn't come much better than that.

------------------
"That is the metaphorical equivalent of flopping your wedding tackle into a lions mouth and then flicking his love spuds with a wet towel".
- Rimmer

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if you run over pedestrians, you get "points" of some sort. Er, Jubes will explain further.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"I'm still amazed at how unintuitive the Windows world is and how it tries to mimic the Mac." - John de Lancie

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

Paraplegic Injured in Hit-Run Accident
Oxnard : A paraplegic man crossing Wooley Road in his wheelchair was struck by a truck whose driver fled the scene, authorities said Saturday.

Jerry Law, 29, of Oxnard was in critical but stable condition Saturday night at Ventura County Medical Center in Ventura, a nursing supervisor said.

Authorities believe Law was crossing Wooley Road at Mercantile Street about 11:50 p.m. Friday when the wheels of his wheelchair became stuck in railroad tracks. A truck traveling west on Wooley Road struck Law.

The truck was described as a late 1980s or early 1990s white Nissan pickup. Anyone with information should call traffic investigators at 385-7749.

See, in LA, we'll run over just about anyone. And it's a real shame too.

------------------
~C. Montgomery Burns

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited January 09, 2000).]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps