Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Bush's daughter busted for trying to obtain alcohol illegaly.....again. :-) (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Bush's daughter busted for trying to obtain alcohol illegaly.....again. :-)
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm... I think the difference between legal and illegal does not come down to one's personal opinion. If that were true, no-one could ever commit a crime, because they'd be of the opinion that it was legal...

"But if we take away the US's right to be self-rightious about drinking (it's bad)..."

I've been meaning to ask... Where do you come up w/ this stuff? You think people in the US don't drink? I'd guess about 99% of the population would prove you wrong on that one...

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One solution.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course Americans drink. They just don't drink correctly. Someone here once pointed out that the majority of people in the US do their drinking with a bottle of bud, in front of the TV, often alone; whereas the majority of the people in the UK do their drinking with pints, in social situations.

I actually didn't say that Americans don't drink. I said that they view it as bad. They are made to feel guilty for drinking.

And if it's not viewed as "wrong", why did they make such a big deal about Bush's daughter?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because she was committing a crime. Not by drinking, but by doing it underage. Americans don't think driving a car is "wrong", but they'd make a big deal if the president's fourteen-year-old kid went for a joy-ride...
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Because she was committing a crime. Not by drinking, but by doing it underage. Americans don't think driving a car is "wrong", but they'd make a big deal if the president's fourteen-year-old kid went for a joy-ride..."

Would they make a big deal out of it if their 14 year old daughter watched an R-rated film (if that is equivelent of a "15" certificate. I'm not sure).

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TSN, on your reply to a matter of opinion & law. You'll note that if a person thinks a law is bullshit, they'll ignore it.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the vast majority of Americans have had drinks under the age of 21. The vast majority aren't willing to throw stones at the Bush girls for something they've also done. The reason people are making a big deal about the drinking ISN'T that they think it's wrong ...

It's that Daddy Dubya made a huge deal about bringing "ethics" and "morality" back to the White House. And ... guess what? Maybe he needs to go and bring "ethics" and "morality" to his own family before he starts preaching about what everybody else should be doing.

And, I don't mean to say that underage drinking is immoral ... just that Dubya thinks it is. Actually, because of a bill he passed in Texas when he was Govn'r, if Jenna gets caught drinkin' again, she's going to do some jail time. Assuming Daddy dearest doesn't bail her out.

Which, by the way, Daddy Dearest dare not do. Simply because, he and his supporters would have absolutely no way to defend his obviously hippocritical actions.

But that's beside the point. Essentially, Jenna and Barbara are being punished for being the daughters of the President of the United States of America. Fair? Absolutely not. But, hey, they asked George not to run for office. And if George didn't know that being POTUS would put his family in the public eye, he's stupider then I thought (and that's pretty damn stupid).

[ June 12, 2001: Message edited by: Jeff Kardde ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

"Would they make a big deal out of it if their 14 year old daughter watched an R-rated film (if that is equivelent of a '15' certificate. I'm not sure)."

Actually, the age for R movies is 17. And I think someone under seventeen can see it if someone over 17 is w/ them. And, of course, that only applies to theaters. If they watch it on video at home, who's to care?

So, basically, the only problem would be if they snuck into a theater to see it. And, honestly, I'm not sure whether that's illegal, or just against theater rules.

"TSN, on your reply to a matter of opinion & law. You'll note that if a person thinks a law is bullshit, they'll ignore it."

And they'll get arrested for it. You can have an opinion on whether or not something should be illegal, but, if it's illegal, it's illegal, no matter what you think.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

"TSN, on your reply to a matter of opinion & law. You'll note that if a person thinks a law is bullshit, they'll ignore it."

"And they'll get arrested for it."

Oh yes. People get arrested for every law they break.

I don't think that anyone has actually been arrested for jaywalking in the UK in about, ooh, a billion years. Most people don't even know what it is.

"Actually, the age for R movies is 17. And I think someone under seventeen can see it if someone over 17 is w/ them. And, of course, that only applies to theaters. If they watch it on video at home, who's to care?"

There parents? If the film is deemed unsuitable for under 17 year olds, then there parents might take the radical view that it's unsuitable for 17 year olds.

Okay, imagine that the law was the same as in this country. Over here, it's illegal for someone under 18 to watch an 18-certificate film, at home or in the cinema. Likewist under-15 for 15-certificates, and under-12s for 12 certificate.

Now, if you found out that, say, your 11 year old son had watched Batman, or First Contact (12s), or your 14 year old daughter had watched The Wrath of Kahn (bizairly, a 15), would you care? Would you do anything about it? Would you report them? Or punish them?

--------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your little kid watched a movie you find objectionable, it's YOUR STUPID FAULT for RENTING IT!!!

Or for being dumb enough to give him your membership card unsupervised.

GOD, people, GROW UP AND BE PARENTS!!!

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

It's illegal for someone to watch a movie if they're under the age some arbitrary group assigned to it? Wow... And I thought the US was hung up on censorship...!
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Nah, the UK's far worse than the US in some areas of censorship. The Simpsons used to be quite badly censored when it went out at 7 (never consistently though. And Sky and the BBC would often censor it differently. Hell, Sky would censor different episodes differently. Sometimes "ass" and "crap" would be cut out, sometimes not.). Strangely though, about a year ago, repeats were no longer cut. I think that Sky must have gotten a new load of master tapes, and deceided that we can now stand hearing the word "half-assed" at 7 o clock.

It's illegal, but I think it still works the same as the US system. No-ones going to arrest you for allowing a 14 year old to watch the South Park movie (15-certificate). It does stop annoying little shits from getting into the cimema though. Sometimes. And it does force the parents into buying the tape for their kids themselves, so they can check it out better.

Or the kid can borrow it from a mate. Ho hum.

As a rule, the UK is more sensitive to violence than the US, and less sensitive about swearing, especially the lighter swear-words (despite the Simpsons example above, which is pretty much the exception, crap, damn and bitch are thrown around faily easily). I myself, when watching Dragon Ball Z with my 5 year old nephew, occassionally wince, thinking that this might be a bit much for him. He hasn't tried to kill anyone at his school with a Kamehamaha energy blast though, so I think he'll turn out okay.

I did wonder what was going through his mind though, when we were watching the Powerpuff Girls Best Rainy Day Adventure Ever, and Blossom pretended to be Ms Bellum. What did he think she was doing with those stuffed toys? Tsk. In my day, cartoon women barely had parts.

--------------------

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't read the whole thread (much too long), but this Bush fake ID thing is clearly hereditary: http://www.time.com/time/personal/article/0,9171,1101010702-152647,00.html

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting article.

Isn't it amazing how a guy who drives drunk and gives fake I.D.s to all his buddies passes a law making underage drinking punishable by jail time? Gee, George, try not to be TOO much of a hipocrite.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found the article interesting, too. Not for the potentially hypocritical aspect, though. I found it interesting that the best nickname that GW Bush could come up with is "Tweeds." I mean, come on already! The nicknames that my tormentor hurled at me in junior high school were better than that! Tweeds? Sheesh!
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps