Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Yee haw!!! One of the local churches at my location is gonna have a book burnin'!!! (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Yee haw!!! One of the local churches at my location is gonna have a book burnin'!!!
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Followers of the teachings of Jesus Christ have NEVER commited an attrocity in the history of mankind, by the nature of said teachings.

Controversial aside - George W. Bush is therefore not a Christian. See: Sermon on the mount.

BTW, if you really think the above statement is true, then Communists never committed atrocities, either. Marx certainly wasn't too big on the "let's murder/kill/enslave everyone who bugs us" idea.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, the "These people weren't Christians, by definition!" pretty much makes the arguments in Northern Ireland mute...

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, for anyone who missed it, I managed to prove that, by his own definition, Omega is not a Christian.

I'm curious to see how he tries to get out of this one...

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ROTFLMFAOSMIPIMP!!!!

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tahna Los:
ROTFLMFAOSMIPIMP!!!!

I only understand what it means upto here: ROTFLMFAO but the rest...

--------------------
Me- Hi Jen! What's up!
Jen- You again??!?! Listen kid, I'm not interested in you. Stop bothering me, I'm a lot older than you and I have a boyfriend. How did you find my ICQ number anyways?
Me- Oh, so just cuz you're a movie star now, and you're new album made millions, you think you're too good for me?
Jen- Yes!!! Get it thorough your head! I am a person, I am not Jennifer Lopez the hottest woman on earth that everyone wants to sleep with, I'm a person, leave me alone!!!
Me- Fine! Be that way!
Me- Jen.... Where'd you go.... I love you... please come back.... please....

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wild guess says that the "SMIPIMP" is "So Much I Pissed In My Pants". But I just made that up, so I don't know if that's what he meant, or not.
Saltah'na
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bingo.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My god (lower case).

Book burning in the 21st century.

Well, I think Mel Brooks was right. The only way to fight such an evil is to ridicule it. (Springtime for Hitler).

Someone needs to start a campaign on the public webwaves to make these people appear as foolish to the general public as we see them now.

1) Giant publicity campaign. Every free-thinker in the world mails a copy of the Bible to Greenland, where they are entombed in permafrost. We call it the "hell freezes over" policy. The exact opposite of book burning.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW: Omaga

I come from a small town in BC called Abbotsford. I attended a Christian high school, and can therefore state (quite categorically), that I've been pretty much immersed in Christianity, the church, and its dogma.

However, during my 15th year, I came to a sudden discovery.

The majority of Christians aren't what you would consider true Christians. ie: They don't make the grade either because of ulterior motives (attend church for social/economic reasons), or for other reasons do not exist in a state of grace.

But they are still Christians. You can't just arbitrarily kick them out of your little group because you don't approve of their actions. Actually, by my count, they outnumber the ones you espouse to by 2:1. You have to include them, because we objective observers do. And therefore, as a general rule, Christianity has a pretty poor track record.

Myself, at the age of 15 I decided that someone with a high IQ, who professed to follow the scientific method, had no business believing in things he could not see evidence of. Yes, it's lonelier. But it is also intellectually honest.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can't just arbitrarily kick them out of your little group because you don't approve of their actions.

Hardly arbitrary.

You have to include them, because we objective observers do.

Says who?

Christianity has a very specific, very thorough definition. You can't just change it because you don't like it.

[ July 16, 2001: Message edited by: Omega ]

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Treknophyle: Abbotsford a small town? Bah. 100k people ain't small from where I'm standing

But Abbotsford is most certainly in the heart of BC's mini bible-belt. It's like the road dips 20 degrees southward in latitude as one heads out to Hope and then returns to a more comfortable clime of Canadian reason.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of Two of Three... dammit.

[ July 17, 2001: Message edited by: The_Evil_Lord ]

Cartman
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Second of Two of Three... dammit.

[ July 17, 2001: Message edited by: The_Evil_Lord ]

Cartman
Member # 256

quote:
Christianity has a very specific, very thorough definition.

Tell us then, oh ultra-rightwinged conservative One, what IS the exact definition of christianity?

Saltah'na
Member # 33

Do they include those of Presbyterian, Protestant, Catholic, and Greek Orthodox denominations?

What about all that infighting among Protestants and Catholics in Ireland? They follow the teachings of Christ, yet they get into fights almost every single year. Do you have the guts to tell all of them that they are not Christians because they don't follow YOUR idea of what Christians are?

Ask any Christian the same question, and ask them if members of these various denominations are Christian. Everything does not come down to a very narrow point of view that is yours, Omega. It's called "having an open mind".

--------------------

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps