Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Is Omega Partisan? Discuss. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Is Omega Partisan? Discuss.
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
North Vietnam overran South Vietnam because they had the (not very covert) support of both the Chinese and the Russians, and for the US, taking the tactical steps necessary to win the war (or even provide a stalemate) would have escalated the war to the point where the use of nuclear weapons would have been a probability.

Since we didn't have SDI yet, this was an unacceptable risk. (that was a joke. So was the Cats and Dogs thing.)

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was actually sarcasm.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anybody read the reports that the diplomats got when they started visiting Vietnam again, just before the first searches started for the remains of the troops, that had the statements made by the big-wigs there? The ones that said they were glad the US started pulling out when they did, because we were kicking there asses? It was in Newsweek, or something similer, from the mid to late 80s.

If it hadn't been for Jane Fonda and her ilk people would be viewing Vietnam with different eyes. After all, what was the difference between the Middle East and Far East Asia???

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vietnam isn't a member of OPEC. We can do just fine without rattan loveseats, but gods above & around us help us if we have to go one day without our cars.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
After all, what was the difference between the Middle East and Far East Asia???

Uh...the cuisine?

MIB: Instructions: Go make yourself a sandwich. No, bigger. That's good. Now go outside. Yes, all the way. Look up. Watch the clouds. Eat your sandwich.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ideas can be harmful, if implemented.

I take it that you are talking about Liberal Ideas? How about Conservative ones?

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uhm... hate to come in here with facts, but....

LBJ, towards the end of his presidency, got his advisors together and researched whether the USA actually needed to be involved in vietnam.

The report said they didn't.

Nixon discovered this report, and you know what he did? KEPT THEM THERE ANYWAY.

So... uhm... I think Nixon is a dick. And from everything that i've learned about LBJ (American Politics class was very fun last semester), He was a dick too. All politicians are dicks.

It has nothing to do with conservative/liberal.

And for the record... Yes, I think Omega is Partisan. But I'm probably more partisan than I realize, as well. We all probably are.

--------------------
'Your spirit will always be the light that guides me... that guides me forever...' - Whispers

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega partisan? Not at all. He looks at every issue on its own merits based on his values and interpritations of what is correct.

The fact that those views happen to totally coencide with the Right-wing-christian-nutcase-republicans on every issue is mere coincidence. Nothing more.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
EXACTLY!

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, Omega endorses the term "Right-wing-christian-nutcase-republicans"? EXCELLENT!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't believe that one got by him . Oh well.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, as long as Omega knows he's a nutcase, what else can we do ... ?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or perhaps I chose not to argue about semantics.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Or, more likely, you didn't even notice it said "nut" in it.

Hah-hah! You agree that you're a nut! Hah-hah!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oi

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps