Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Can Church Define Public Policy? (Page 10)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Can Church Define Public Policy?
OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega, I have an idea. Why don't you just write down in a post what your basic fundamental beliefs are? Don't argue any points, quote anybody, or make any counterpoints. Just write down your code of ethics and why you follow them and then we can figure out where we disagree?

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Don't argue any points, quote anybody, or make any counterpoints.

Good luck with that. We've been trying to get him to do that forever.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see Jeff isn't the only one here who needs lessons in punctuation.

Killing = Murder = Wrong ucc

This is not what I said. I said (killing = murder ucc && murder = wrong).

Good luck with that. We've been trying to get him to do that forever.

Exactly as I've been trying to get you to make points forever, and to string them together into a coherant argument.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Technically, Omega's punctuation makes his sentences mean what he says. However, he needs to work on his word order if he wants people to understand...
The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I've gathered, compensating for grammatical mistakes, this is Omega's opinion on killing, murder, etc.( Just trying to clarify, you can correct me if I'm wrong, Omega).

Killing a person is the physical act of terminating a person, where no ethical connotations are intended. Murder is a subset of Killing, where ethical connotations are intended. Murder is always wrong, as per Omega's version of the Ten Commandments, "Thou shalt not murder", and by definition as the wrongful taking of another's life. Killing, being a superset of Murder, therefore, need not always be wrong, just when the Killing is classified as a Murder.

So what it boils down to is this: Killing is not always wrong. Murder is always wrong.

This is just what Omega's beliefs appear, to me , to be. I'll just point out that the whole issue of distinguishing between Killing and Murder is, unfortunately, rather subjective.

--------------------
"Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising
I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!"

The Battle of the Pelennor Fields.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That looks acceptable. I reserve the right to modify it if necessary, though I would give full explaination.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's always been my interpretation of Omega's beliefs on the subject are. Of course, it would be nice if he could write it like that instead of requiring ten English majors to diagram a sentence which makes no grammatical sense.

And I notice Rob never came to your defense on this one.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rob's been dealing with a potential change in job and the fact that his gf had two 'mystery seizures.' I have a life that can take me away from the puter for days at a time, believe it or not...
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well -- ?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
killing being a superset to murder sounds good to me. you here people say the had to KILL in self defense. no one says he MURDERED in self defense. that just sounds contradictory. jeez. i love it when people get into huge discusions on morality and ethics.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Murder is most definitely a subset of killing, and certainly not the only one.

Murder is unnecessary killing. The problem then becomes defining what is 'necessary' and what is not.

The death of a human being is not in and of itself an 'evil' act... or have we now declared sharks and tigers (and hurricanes and fires and other natural disasters) to be thinking beings capable of evil?

Killing in self-defense or defense of others' lives is generally considered justifiable, in more or less extreme circumstances depending upon the viewpoint of the person asked.

Killing in defense of property is sometimes considered justifiable, depending upon local politics. Some see it as an extension of the defense of self. Some would just see it as weeding. I find it so, but others may not.

Killing for a political or religious purpose is generally not considered justifiable, except by those doing the killing. War is an enrirely different matter.

And there are other circumstances. Remember that episode where the only way for Troi to pass the final bridge command test was to order holoGeordi to his probable death? That's because to save more lives, something like that might be necessary.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one."

*wipes hands*

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

First:

Yes, I understand all of that. That's not what Omega wants your ruling on.

quote:
Because it's murder, which is wrong, under certain circumstances, but not under others.

Does that paragraph make any sense? As I see it, Omega is saying that murder is wrong unless it's not. If he'd said, "killing is wrong, under certain circumstances, but not under others", he'd be okay. However, since murder is by definition illegal, how can it be okay?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

*puts on English B.A. Hat*

I'd have to say that the sentence is totally fragged. (Yo, dude! Your participle's dangling out!)

*removes B.A. Hat*

The rest stands.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Believe it or not, but we've spent two pages arguing about the grammatical sense that sentence makes. Omega lost.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps