Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Can Church Define Public Policy? (Page 6)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Can Church Define Public Policy?
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, but you don't say you WANT the Code of Hammurabi or English Common Law or any OTHER statutes up there. You're ONLY supporting the 10 Commandments (which, while somewhat historical in terms of lawgiving, are hardly the basis of US Law.)

So the intent behind the idea becomes clear.

Me, I think putting "In God We Trust" on a symbol of Mammon (money) would probably be pretty dicey. Idolatry, maybe?

And then there's all these crucifixs and paintings and such of JC... 'graven images?"

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're ONLY supporting the 10 Commandments

Because they're the only ones under attack. If someone attacked posting the Magna Carta for an equally-stupid reason, I'd defend that, too.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last time I checked, the commandments were part of Christian beliefs, too. Jebus reinterpreted a few of the Mosaic laws, but he never revoked the ten commandments.
Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, the law was part of the old contract between Abraham & co. and God. God would bless all the world through Abraham's decendants, and in return, Abraham would follow God. The contract extended to all of Israel: Israel is a good little child, and God protects and blesses them. That particular aspect of the contract was broken repeatedly, but the main clause remained in effect. When God fulfilled his end of the contract, by sending Christ, the terms of the contract were met on both ends. Then a new one was implemented, with God and Christ as the party of the first part, and the Church as the party of the second part. In this one, we serve God, and get to live eternally in return.

The Old Testament is called that for a reason: it no longer applies.

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That isn't a mainstream Protestant position, as far as I can tell. In my experience, the only parts of the Old Testament tossed out by most churches are the Sabbath commandment, the thou shalt not wear polyester one, and the food rules. Er, and the stoning clauses. Perhaps because good stones are so hard to find these days. The only other real difference is that the Christian view of the law is that it is how God would like you to act, but is not a requirement for salvation.

Of course, as we've seen here today, there are sects on either side of this particular bell curve.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Catholics too also ignore the Sabbath one (I'm not sure what replaces it), but they are suppossed to honour the rest.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
OK, Christian "law" doesn't apply to you? Fine. The alternative would be the law of sin, and the payment for sin is death. You like that better? 'Course, there's always that grace thing, but then you're not interested in that, are you?

I've been dead far many more times than you'd think or could count. As for "sin"...that's a typically controlling concept. And "grace" seems to me to be something steeped in being really needy.

Unless, of course, you mean "Grace," which is a great song & album by Jeff Buckley. I'm listening to "Eternal Life" right now. Funny that, seeing as how he's haunting my friend Kim & now me. Wish he'd go away.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, Christian "law" doesn't apply to you? Fine. The alternative would be the law of sin, and the payment for sin is death. You like that better? 'Course, there's always that grace thing, but then you're not interested in that, are you?

So I decide to abide by Buddhist law. So does that mean that I am a sinner? I'd better hit myself with a painstik about 200 times to ask for forgiveness for my sins. Oh the horror, oh the humanity.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm. Perhaps I should say this before I'm taken the wrong way.

Omega is devoutly & almost fanatically Christian. Marvelous. Bully for him.That's what works for him, then power to him. But it doesn't work for me, or for others. Most Christians I know adopt a laissez-faire policy: be tolerant & discuss, but don't push or judge.

Omega...you're pushing. And you're judging. Please stop. I happen to think--no, I KNOW--that you're a mundane in the eyes of the universe. Do I lord it over you? No. It's not my job or my place. I do not place any faith in Christian dogma. This does not make me a bad person nor does it mean I'm going to be one of the fallen or whatever the term is. It simply means I feel differently. You want to work with sturct & rigid laws & rule interpretations? Spec-fuckin'-TACular. Don't apply those standards to us.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hasn't Omega said on multiple occasions that someone or another is going to go to hell for doing something? Isn't that judgement supposed to be reserved for Yahweh? Isn't there that whole "judge not, lest ye be judged" deal?
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hell must be a fun place, though, with Gandhi and Muhammed and Confucious and the rest of the gang down there.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Omega
Member # 91

In my experience, the only parts of the Old Testament tossed out by most churches are the Sabbath commandment, the thou shalt not wear polyester one, and the food rules. Er, and the stoning clauses.

They follow that which is in the NT. That just happens to overlap some of the OT. I like the analogy of spiritual maturity. The Israelites were two-year-olds. "Don't go near the oven, or Daddy'll spank you!" The NT is more like full-grown adults. "Well, you can go near the oven. You know what you're doing. Use your good judgement."

The OT was a list of do's and don't's. Under the NT, you DECIDE the do's and don't's, based upon the basic philosophy. There ARE a lot of similarities, obviously, because they both come from the same God, but that's a major difference.

As for "sin"...that's a typically controlling concept. And "grace" seems to me to be something steeped in being really needy.

You ARE needy. You need salvation.

So I decide to abide by Buddhist law. So does that mean that I am a sinner?

Have you sinned EVER in your ENTIRE life? Then you're a sinner.

I'd better hit myself with a painstik about 200 times to ask for forgiveness for my sins.

The asking would do just fine.

Omega...you're pushing. And you're judging.

I tell you what I believe. I answer questions. Tell me where I've judged someone.

You want to work with sturct & rigid laws & rule interpretations?

No, I'm NEW Testament, remember?

Hasn't Omega said on multiple occasions that someone or another is going to go to hell for doing something?

I don't believe so, no.

--------------------

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega:

Tell me where I've judged someone.

quote:

You ARE needy. You need salvation.

Judge? You? Never.

quote:

Hasn't Omega said on multiple occasions that someone or another is going to go to hell for doing something?

I don't believe so, no.

quote:
OK, Christian "law" doesn't apply to you? Fine. The alternative would be the law of sin, and the payment for sin is death.

That not explicitly "you're gonna go to hell" for you? Off the top of my head, how about the time you said that Jubes and her eeeevil Wiccan ways would not be saved unless she "followed you."

[ August 08, 2001: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

And I could resist this dig...
quote:
The Old Testament is called that for a reason: it no longer applies.

Good to hear that you've dropped your nonsensical belief in Adam and Eve and seven-day Creation.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

"You need salvation."

No I don't.

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps