Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Can Church Define Public Policy? (Page 9)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Can Church Define Public Policy?
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Because it's murder, which is wrong, under certain circumstances, but not under others.

So ... sometimes murder is wrong, and sometimes it's not? Either you were smoking crack when you typed that, or you've dropped the distinction between a "murder" and a "killing." Have you changed the definition, like you do with so much? Frankly, your statement (like you) makes no sense.

quote:
Proposing existence outside our universe doesn't solve the problem.

See? Here's the big problem with your hypothesis. You postulize (forgive my spelling) a supernatural being -- whether it be God, Allah, Mr. T or Q -- who created the universe.

Well, where'd it come from? The thing you're not understanding (as far as I can tell), is that God/Allah/Mr. T/Q/What The Fuck Ever is, to quote you, "existance outside our universe."

So, where'd this existance outside our universe come from, eh?

Oh, don't tell me. "It's timeless." Which, to quote (or at least, paraphrase) Rob is "a non-answer."

[ August 11, 2001: Message edited by: MeGotBeer ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's going to claim that "Thou shalt not kill" is a mistranslation of a phrase which actually said "Thou shalt not murder," which is likely, since even the Israelites could see the hypocrisy in a God saying "Thou shalt not kill," and then a few pages later saying "Go into this city here and slaughter every living thing."

Likewise, he'll probably say something to the effect of "It ain't murder if God tells ya to do it."

quote:
Proposing existence outside our universe doesn't solve the problem. Where'd THAT universe come from?

Same place your Creative Being came from. Gotcha.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The_Tom -- please delete this post. Danke.

[ August 11, 2001: Message edited by: MeGotBeer ]

(And later on the sixth day, The_Tom said that He is but a minor deity below the great Capps, who doth command that no posts be deleted under any cicrumstance lest the sheep and the sloths and the pastries lie down with the lamb and repeatedly assfuck it. So this post, despite it's general absence of content, shall remain timeless. It is the Alpha but hopefully not the Omega.)

[ August 11, 2001: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thou shall not kill.

According to your own book of fairytales, killing is wrong under ANY circumstance.

Thou shalt not MURDER. You're dealing with a very old mistranslation.

So ... sometimes murder is wrong, and sometimes it's not?

No, I said that killing is murder- which is wrong- sometimes, but not at other times. I thought it was quite clear.

So, where'd this existance outside our universe come from, eh?

I'm postulating existence that's eternal by nature. No assembly required.

He's going to claim that "Thou shalt not kill" is a mistranslation of a phrase which actually said "Thou shalt not murder,"

Very good, Rob. At least SOMEONE's been paying attention.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Killing, murdering... why quibble over semantics? Mistranslations happen during the copying of copies of copies of copies of copies for
2000 years. It comes down to the same thing: taking the life of another human being, which is WRONG!
And if you think otherwise, please stick your beliefs somewhere where the sun doesn't shine very often.

[ August 11, 2001: Message edited by: My Publically Displayed Name ]

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Gut instinct on this one. I suppose it's POSSIBLE that we're not, but it seems far more likely that we're dealing with an intelligent being."

Gut instinct implies original and independent thought on your part, Omega. And I have a gut instinct that there is nothing of the sort there.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gut instinct implies original and independent thought on your part, Stingray. And I have a gut instinct that there is nothing of the sort there.

And if you think otherwise, please stick your beliefs somewhere where the sun doesn't shine very often.

There are those here that would define that statement as intolerance. They would be wrong.

--------------------

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Gut instinct implies original and independent thought on your part, Stingray. And I have a gut instinct that there is nothing of the sort there."

Hey that was original, Omega! You come up with that one all by yourself? I have a gut instinct that you didn't.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Perhaps I should have said that physics AS WE UNDERSTAND IT requires a god.

Huh.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

quote:
No, I said that killing is murder- which is wrong- sometimes, but not at other times. I thought it was quite clear.

So all killings are murders? Therefore, anyone who takes a life, be it in the process of a death sentence or self defense, should be smited by God? Yeeesh, looks like if you succeed in your theocracy, 2nd Ammendment is the first thing to go ... (not that I'd complain)

As I understand it (and as you've argued it), "murder" is an illegal killing, while "killing" is a legal killing. If suddenly you don't see that distinction, you can no longer use the defense, "God didn't say 'thou shalt not kill', he said 'thou shalt not murder.'"

Anyway, you're making less and less sense the more you talk. And you're being even less original then usual, copying whole posts from Stingray just about verbatim. Honestly, if you can't come up with anything new, don't bother.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Omega
Member # 91

So all killings are murders?

No, that is the diametric opposite of what I said. Perhaps you don't understand the punctuation used. I will therefore bring it down another level.

Murder is wrong. Killing is murder under some circumstances, but not others. Therefore, killing is wrong under some circumstances, but not necessarily under others.

Clear?

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

quote:

Punctuation my ass. You clearly were smoking crack. First, you said that killing was murder. See? I've quoted it like twice now. Then you said murder was wrong, sometimes, which can't be true because in countless gun threads you've said that the Commandment was "thou shalt not murder", therefore murders can never by "sometimes" not-wrong. Be more precise the first time you type, because I think The_Tom's reaction to the above was the same as mine: "Then it was most certainly insane." Clearly, you made a boo-boo writing the above, and now, instead of admitting it, you're frothing like a rabid mouse.

Now, stop beating around the bush and respond to the other points. You know, like as Rob said so well, "Same place your Creative Being came from. Gotcha." Because you haven't responded to it at all, which makes one think you can't respond to it. And if you won't respond to it, it makes one wonder why. Like, you realize you can't defend it so you hope if you can avoid answering it, you can still pretend to "win" this thread like you pretend with so much.

[ August 12, 2001: Message edited by: MeGotBeer ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Omega
Member # 91

First, you said that killing was murder. See? I've quoted it like twice now. Then you said murder was wrong, sometimes

I said nothing of the kind. This is where a working knowledge of punctuation comes in handy. Rob, you're the English major. You want to explain it to him?

Because you haven't responded to it at all

I did, as a matter of fact. You're just not paying attention. As usual.

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

quote:
I'm postulating existence that's eternal by nature.

Non-answer. To everything there must be a beginning. Where was it's beginning? Where did it come from? And you're still postulating existance outside of the universe.

Okay, Rob, this --

quote:
Because it's murder, which is wrong, under certain circumstances, but not under others.

-- was Omega's original, confusing, non-sensical statement. Tell me, does it or does it not say that sometimes murder is wrong and sometimes its correct?

I mean, me, myself, and I, think that if Omega had typed "killing under some circumstances is wrong, but not under others," he would be making sense (or at least, as much sense as he ever makes). Since murder by definition means the wrongful taking of life, there is no way by which it can be not-wrong. Yes? Or no?

quote:
This is where a working knowledge of punctuation comes in handy.

This coming from a guy who spells "prove" with two o's.

[ August 12, 2001: Message edited by: MeGotBeer ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Summarizing... :

quote:
[Beer]Why is it okay to kill someone under one set of circumstances but not another?[/Beer]

quote:
[Omega]Because it's murder, which is wrong, under certain circumstances, but not under others.[/Omega]

Murder = Wrong ucc;

quote:
[Beer]So ... sometimes murder is wrong, and sometimes it's not?[/Beer]

quote:
[Me]According to your own book of fairytales, killing is wrong under ANY circumstance.[/Me]

quote:
[Omega]Thou shalt not MURDER. I said that killing is murder -which is wrong- sometimes, but not at other times.[/Omega]

Killing = Murder = Wrong ucc;

quote:
[Omega]There are those here that would define that statement as intolerance. They would be wrong.[/Omega]

First, it's "intolerant". Second, that's exactly how it was meant. I don't tolerate hypocritical religious d*mbf*cks who condone murder (or KILLING, or whatever YOU want to call it).

Back to the summary...

quote:
[Beer]So all killings are murders?[/Beer]

quote:
[Omega]No, that is the diametric opposite of what I said. Murder is wrong. Killing is murder under some circumstances, but not others. Therefore, killing is wrong under some circumstances, but not necessarily under others.
[/Omega]

Murder = Wrong;
Killing = Murder ucc; [Murder = Killing ucc;]
Killing = Wrong ucc;

quote:
[Beer]First, you said that killing was murder. Then you said murder was wrong, sometimes, which can't be true because in countless gun threads you've said that the Commandment was "thou shalt not murder", therefore murders can never by "sometimes" not-wrong.[/Beer]

quote:
[Omega]I said nothing of the kind.[/Omega]

Killing != Murder; [contradiction in Omega's statement;]

*Somebody* has definitely been smoking too much crack.

[ August 12, 2001: Message edited by: My Publically Displayed Name ]

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps