Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Liberal "Code Words" (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Liberal "Code Words"
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
That's funny. We did quite well until the era of big government started during the Great Depression. And the Depression, surprise, surprise, was brought on by government overregulation.

What's even funnier (well, actually not), is that Omega stands firm against FDR's programs which pulled the country out of the disaster, and put food on family's plates. Never let it be said that Omega is for families before businesses.

Of course, Omega's the same guy who thinks America's Conservatives at the time weren't isolationist, and would've stayed out of World War II for as long as possible (sadly, an isolationist trend showing a re-emergence in the Republican Party).

But then, Omega's never been known for rational thought. You know, like his whole theory of the creation of the universe ("There can be no existance outside of the universe! ... Except for God!") But, hey, at least he stopped spelling "prove" with two o's.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First off, this post is from my heart, not my brain:

Conservatives who make pages like these are bastards. They actually deserve their own disease and pollution filled planet of straight white Christian 'master-race' males.

[ August 13, 2001: Message edited by: Wes1701E ]

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
First off, this post is from my heart, not my brain:

Substitute "ass" for "heart" and you pretty much sum up half of the stuff posted here.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't this where someone is supposed to say "play nice." Hmmmm?

[ August 13, 2001: Message edited by: Jay the Obscure ]

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A very good point, Jay. But we're not at "Tom must come down from on high and say play nice" mode yet. There's still a coherent argument. Well, relative to the guidelines of the Flameboard Standards Association. When people's mothers enter the equation it's generally time for Tom to take the high ground and lecture people about how pointless interpersonal flaming is baaaad. (As are drugs.)

Besides, three more punches on my hypocrisy card and I get a free 6 inch sub at Subway.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny. That's how people describe your mum.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by me:
Conservatives who make pages like these are bastards. They actually deserve their own disease and pollution filled planet of straight white Christian 'master-race' males.

seriously though. thats what this guy's version of heaven sounds like.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm trying to decide who's dumber: MIB or Wes. I see potential in MIB, but Wes...

FDR's programs which pulled the country out of the disaster

Um... no? The Depression KEPT GOING, all the way through the "New Deal", right up until WW2.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

Indeed. And when someone has cancer and they undergo a bout of chemotherapy, and that keeps the cancer from undergoing metastisis but doesn't eliminate it altogether, that's proof positive chemotherapy is fundamenally useless. Especially when a few years later doctors are able to completely eliminate the tumour using high dose radiation therapy.

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd call you an idiot, but I think that's a generally wide-held opinion of you held here.

You're right, the Depression did go on. However, you're apparently ignoring the fact that production and consumption maintained steady growth (although they never did regain pre-Crash levels) after FDR took office.

Roosevelt propped up the economy with a series of programs to give people jobs. All Hoover wanted to do was sit in the White House and let people suffer.

Let's take a look at the WPA, one of Roosevelt's "New Deal" programs ... (Works Progress Administration, later the Works Projects Admin)

The WPA was responsible for 10% of new roads in the US, not to mention hospitals, city halls, courthouses and schools. It built the Lincoln Tunnel in NY, the Triborough Bridge system, the East River Drive (now the FDR Drive), the Fort Knox gold depository, and both the Bonneville and Boulder (now Hoover) dams. And guess what? The men who worked for the WPA had ... jobs! And could feed their families!

All Hoover wanted to do was let the economy "sort itself out." Hoover got himself elected on "general prosperity" in 1928, and he got kicked out of office for fucking the country up the ass.

And you keep ignoring, Omega, the basic fact that Conservatives of the day tended to be isolationists. And isolationists didn't want to enter World War II, and probably wouldn't have to the extent that visonaries like FDR (who realized that a Nazi Germany was a threat to freedom) wanted to.

Essentially: you've got a blind hatred for liberals which makes you out to be a rather ignorant fool. And it makes you quite the laughing stock on Flare. It'd be nice if you could actually try and look at things impartially without replacing "Democrat" with "athiest god-hating scum-sucking communist liberal fucker."

Have a nice day. And, er, try and read a history book at some point in your life instead of blindly accepting the indoctrination you're recieving.

Or get a life.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"All Hoover wanted to do was sit in the White House and let people suffer."

As cruel as this sounds, it would have allowed people to sort things out for themselves. FDR's actions, while beneficial in the short-term, place excessive burden on the government to keep afloat what should be a self-sustaining economy.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(OTOH, I think the Depression was definitely caused by obsession with a mostly speculative stock market, not overregulation.)
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But Jeff and Frank, Hoover did do something....er, roughly one thing during his presidency that pressed government into service for its people. The Smoot-Hawley tariff of 1930 to be precise. However, Smoot-Hawley sucked...and didn't do much of anything to alleviate the pains from the growing depression.

Other than that, he followed the same sit on your hands line set by Harding and Coolidge.

And who, I say who, ever said that the downfall of unregulated capitalism began with the Great Depression??

[ August 13, 2001: Message edited by: Jay the Obscure ]

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

And the Smoot-Hawley tariff also contributed to the depression by limiting foreign trade. I'm not saying that Hoover was the model champion of economic freedom, just that his policies during the depression were a valid course of action, especially in keeping with the political standards of the time.
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If Hoover was such a loser, why'd they name a dam after him? i think the original name was much better. can't remember it right now.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps