Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Space is militarized. (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Space is militarized.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Another suggestion for the destruction of our system, which is rather remote, is a roving black hole. There are many black holes in our galaxy and some are not fixed in a path like our sun. They rove the galaxy until one of them latches onto a healthy star and begins to 'snack' on this star."

My science stuff isn't up to much, but I thought that scientists hadn't even seen a black hole yet, just hypothesised their existence based on...stuff. And yet you're saying that they also know about roving black stars? How are they charting these? Through our magical space sensors?

"In the distant future, our lovely planet will be incinerated and blown apart by the sun. If we live on Mars, we will buy additional time to leave the system before this world is, too, destroyed."

Time it'll take us (if we really got our arses into gear) to colonise Mars: Less than 200 years (300 if you want to be generous).

Time it'll take for the sun to explode: A few million.

Again, the evidence points to "what's the hurry?"

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eh, why not?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Er, so if Alpha Centuri exploded, we'd die? How exactly?

Yes, and rather horribly, I'm afraid. A supernova puts out enough radiation to essentially sterilize any inhabited body out to a distance of many tens of lightyears.

Of course, none of the stars in the Centauri system are going to go supernova tomorrow, or ever. And I don't _think_ there are any stars on the verge of exploding that are close enough to worry about.

Still, that's today. We are moving around, after all. Could wind up in a bad neighborhood.

Anyway, I'm actually all in favor of people living on Mars, though my reasons are a bit more abstract. I think, if it's resources we're looking for, asteroids make much more sense.

Oh, and a supernova near enough to kill us will kill us no matter which planet we're on in this system, unless we're in the center of one, and maybe not even then, depending on distance. We're talking about a LOT of radiation.

So to survive such an event, we'd need to spread across a larger region of space than could be irradiated by a single supernova. This is no mean feat.

Of course, to steal from that guy who wrote Survivor, on a long enough timeline, the survival rate of everything in the universe drops to zero. Can't get away from heat death.

Well, probably can't.

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
First, everything is already there. Carbon, Oxygen, Hydrogen (we think). We can make air, fuel, water, grow plants, make bricks and cement, even make plastic using shit already on Mars! Compare that to lifting a 10,000 person habitat into orbit that has to be built from scratch.

For the love of all that is empirical and scientific read "The Case for Mars" and if so inclined, "Entering Space". Debating from ignorance is no debate at all.

You know, OnToMars, perhaps someday you might consider reading the previous posts before you start ranting ("Debating from ignorance", if you will). Read the whole thread. You'll find that we were talking about asteroids, or NEAs.

--------------------
"Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising
I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!"

The Battle of the Pelennor Fields.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"You mean we've only got 30,000 years left to start colonising?"

Well, the last time it happened was a while ago. So we'd have less than 30 000 years (assuming that's the right number). It would be like saying "Well, the lifetime of a star like our sun is nine billion years, so we don't have to worry about it for nine billion years". That would, of course, ignore the fact that we've already used up half that time.

Yes, I know four or five million years is still a long time, but it's just an analogy. If we only have 30 000 years, and it's been, say, 29 999 years since the last occasion, we should get cracking...

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And, eventually, in a very long span of time, our universe will cease to exist. In its place, there will be a new universe. Of course, humanity may very well be extinct when the END comes.

Earlier, a poster asked if black holes are invisible, how can we spot them? Quasars. Extremely strong radiation. These are two examples. The simplest analogy-you may not see the predator that killed the deer, but you can see the evidence of the predator on the deer and around the deer.

[ November 02, 2001: Message edited by: targetemployee ]

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The majority of the scientific community is (despite the lack of conclusive data) certain of the existence of black holes, and that they pose a very real threat - directly and indirectly - to our solar system.

[ November 02, 2001: Message edited by: Mojo Jojo ]

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The simplest analogy-you may not see the predator that killed the deer, but you can see the evidence of the predator on the deer and around the deer.

Oh, Jesus H. Christ, now Target Employee is developing a sense of humor. The world is coming to an end.

Hmmm.

Liam, better get to work on that sleeper ship ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jernau, I'm well aware of the rest of the thread. And Sol was specifically thinking of O'Neil colonies. I neglected to spceifically address your asteroid comments to focus on refuting Sol's claim. However;

quote:
under normal terrestrial conditions i.e. with gravity

On an asteroid? In space? First of all, to get one suitable you'd have to go beyond Mars in the first place, and an operation as complex as changing the orbit of an asteroid WOULD require people - at least at our level of technology anyway. And again, why would you go so far as to build a world from scratch (or with an asteroid, 90% or so from scratch) when there is a world in which you can set up one piece of machinery and create your fuel, air, and water from it. It's called the Sabatier reaction, and is 19th century industrial chemistry.

And how much energy do you think it would take, not only to make an asteroid into some semblance of habitable, but to spin it at such a rate that it produced a 1G environment? A lot. An experiment has been run - as a preliminary to a further experiment - testing the ability of mice to live and reproduce at 25 rpms. This experiment was done to make sure the Coriolis Force wouldn't be an obstacle in the successful execution of the Translife Project, which will test the ability of mice to live and reproduce in an artificial gravity enivronment (and with any luck, I will be a part of). If successful, it will show the validity of artificial gravity as a means of combating the negative effects of zero g in space travel but it will also empirically show (though I haven't heard any scientist dispute the claim yet) that animals and people can live just fine in .38G.

Then there's the day/night cycle. 24 hours and 40 minutes on Mars. How long on your asteroid? Well, I'm sure the massive fusion strip lights that have yet to be invented can be programmed for whatever cycle you want.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hell, I was a member of the Planetary Society when most of the people here were still in diapers.

I have yet to see why Mars would be a better candidate for MINING (which is what I thought we'd started off talking about) than a Near-Earth Asteroid (which, incidentally, you don't have to go beyond Mars to find... there's estimated to be something like 10,000 that approach or cross the Earth's orbit.)

One would think that several aspects of mining would be easier in microG's. Certainly all the activity would help prevent deterioration like it does on the Station -- if we used humans at all. There'd be a much shorter trip down from Earth Orbit ('Roid capture being feasable with mass-driver technology), and no Martian gravity well to lift resources out of.

Now, if we're talking human colonization, then Mars is probably the place to be, followed by Titan and maybe Europa or a terraformed Venus (though I expect that one would be darned hard.)

Still, if you're going to bring in the kind of water a city on Mars would need, (depending on how much water there actually turns out to be there, and how easy it is to reclaimZ), you'll still need 'Roid-grabbing technology, for water ice.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by First of Two:
...you'll still need 'Roid-grabbing technology, for water ice.

A giant tube o' lube & some rubber gloves?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reason I'm not especially bothered is that, astronomically, 100 years is nothing. And look how far our tecnology has come on in 100 years. We have time to perfect this.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem with ELEs (Extinction Level Events) like asteroid collisions, is that we have virtually no early warning systems to alert us. There are millions of city-sized rocks in our solar system alone, each one capable of reducing humanity to a page in history, and we have no 'real' means of tracking them all. Simply put, we wouldn't even know about an impending Deep Impact until it was too late.

[ November 02, 2001: Message edited by: Mojo Jojo ]

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

My head go *spin*!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Eclipse
Member # 472

- posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone appears to have forgotten a very destructive NON-space-origin problem looming at us: the switiching of the magnetic poles.

You know the Earth's magnetic poles flip every few thousand years, right? We're due for that any moment now. Goodbye cosmic ray shielding (i.e. magnetosphere). Goodbye all electronics. Goodbye modern mankind.

And not a nuke or asteroid in sight.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps