Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Space is militarized. (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Space is militarized.
The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OnToMars: The main technical problem with creating artificial gravity would, in my opinion, not be the speed at which the asteroid must be spun, but rather to get the asteroid into a symmetric shape.

The standard equation for centripetal acceleration in terms of angular velocity is IIRC:
a = (w^2 )* r
where a is the centripetal acceleration (let's say we want 9.8ms^-2, w is the angular velocity, and r is the radius.
Solving for w gives:
w = sqrt(a/r)
If we take for example a radius of 5km, this means we need an angular velocity of ~4.4e-2rad/s to get standard Earth gravity. This is about 0.5rpm.

As you can see, the gravity (or acceleration, to be pedantic) felt depends on the radius, which is the beauty of it. On an asteroid you could have a range of different gravity values depending on your position in the asteroid, from microgravity near the centre, to high values further away. To me, this would seem to be an ideal environment for space science and engineering to flourish.

As I mentioned, the problem would be to get the asteroid into a symmetric shape(well, not really shape as such, but symmetric in terms of mass) about it's spin axis. This is because (sorry, but my rotational dynamics is a bit rusty, so I can't go into detail) if the asteroid is not symmetric you get a non-diagonal inertia matrix. This probably doesn't mean much to most of you but it just means that the thing's spin will wobble and become unstable. However, I think that by the time we have the technology carry out the (admittedly rather daunting) task of moving an asteroid, getting the asteroid to be symmetric won't be too difficult.

I must also disagree on the point of living in low-gravity environments. Sure, I accept that it's probably fine to live in low g's, you'd probably even live longer, but what if you want to return to Earth? As far as I know there is a certain invisible line beyond which full recovery to normal gravity physiology is impossible. I don't think many people would be prepared to forsake coming back home ever again.

As for the issue of bringing materi�l to the asteroid, well, I'll just have to agree to disagree with you and say that it's necessary to bring a certain amount, initially very high, but decreasing as an infrastructure is built up.

The issue of the day/night cycle is something which I personally would consider to be fairly minor. Of course artificial lighting of some form would be necessary, but there are a lot of possibilities for generating and transmitting power in space, and fusion(high temperature fusion, not the unverified cold fusion) may not be as far away as you think. As far as I know experimental tokamaks have been making steady progress towards productivity, and plans for proper prototype reactors are underway.

Eclipse: I don't know much about that particular phenomenon, but I never heard anything about it being lethal. Have you any articles on it?

[ November 09, 2001: Message edited by: Jernau Morat Gurgeh ]

--------------------
"Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising
I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!"

The Battle of the Pelennor Fields.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure how the flipping of the magnetic poles would disrupt all electronics everywhere.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A really fast flipping of the magnetic field would induce currents in metals, resulting in stray currents destroying electronics. I doubt that the magnetic feild would flip quickly enough to cause this sort of damage. The magnetic north pole shifts position all the time.
Paul

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's what I vaguely remember. That the flipping of the magnetic poles is a process that takes years, at the fastest.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps