Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » "Any damned fool can predict the past." (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: "Any damned fool can predict the past."
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But First, can't you see the tremendous illogic in differentiating between "fairly won" territory and "unfairly won territory?" To play devil's advocate here, realize that the boundaries agreed to in the Nazi-Soviet non-agression pact were to restore the old pre-WWI boundary between then-then Russian and German Empires. As far as Hitler and Stalin were concerned, Poland had been "unfairly" cut out of their repective nations. In their twisted heads, anyway, they were "only justly reclaiming what had been twisted out of them by that twit Woodrow Wilson."

Poland aside, you fail to note that a good 50% of Germany's Pre-WW2 area was occupied by the USSR. (East Prussia and all of West Prussia and Pomerania east of the Oder.)

Bringing this back to the Palestinean situation, you seem reluctant to make distinctions between Palestineans and Syrians and Jordanians and Egyptians labelling them all as "Arabs," and making this a fight between two sets of interests only. Wrong.

The Soviet analogy stands. Israel (that is to say, the portion of the former British mandate of Palestine that was partitioned for Jews in the 49 UN plan) was invaded by the alliance of Arab states that surrounded the ex-mandate territory, crossing in some cases through the UN-administered portion of Palestine set aside for Palestineans. Israel won, thanks to American military support. Israel proceeded to occupy Jerusalem (not set aside for Jews in the 1949 plan) and about half of the Palestinean territories and embarked on a campaign of ethnic cleansing to clear all Arabs out of the conquered territories. What was left of the original Palestine mandate (about 25% of the total area) was occupied by Jordan (the West Bank) and Egypt (the Gaza strip). In subsequent wars in 1967 and 1976, the Israelis conquered the remainder of what had been the Palestine mandate and eventually, in the name of creating buffer space, occupied the Sinai (which had always been Egyptian) and Golan Heights (which had always been Syrian).

The Israelis were at war with the Syrians, Jordanians and Egyptians. They weren't at war with the Palestineans because the Palestineans didn't have a state of their own and had no army. They ended up occupying the entirety of the internationally-designated portion of the Palestine mandate set aside for Palestineans. I think that "fairly won territory" is an oxymoron, but even by your disturbing definition, First, half of all Israeli territory was conquered.

Hell, even the Soviets had the common decency to even allow the Poles and Czechs independent states in name, even though they were run by totalitarian puppet governments. The Israelis just swallowed up the lands of their weaker neighbors and called it Israel, then governed them at the whim of the Jewish citizenry.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
You cannot use HIS speech to attack MY arguments. We're very different. He's a true believer. I'm skeptical. It just so happens that his beliefs and my skepticism overlap in this particular instance.

I think you misunderstood, Rob. Since Omega apparently subscribes to the notion that criticizing decisions of the past is bad, I'm going to have fun jumping on his back whenever he criticizes Clinton or Gore or whomever in coming debates

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, the USSR didn't have a right to control the eastern side of the Iron Curtain because Germany had only obtained those areas during the war, and they therefore didn't actually count as part of Germany?

What if Germany had taken them over twenty years earlier, and they had basically become accepted as being part of Germany? Would it have then been okay for the USSR to do the same stuff they ended up doing in reality?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
{this is an edit
because
sometimes buttons
are pressed
too quickly}

[ October 21, 2001: Message edited by: Sol System ]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh. I hate it when I miss a really witty and isightful Sol System reply just because he worries about offending people and chickens out.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
What if Germany had taken them over twenty years earlier, and they had basically become accepted as being part of Germany? Would it have then been okay for the USSR to do the same stuff they ended up doing in reality?

Only if 'them' had attacked Germany, rather than the other way around.

MAKING war on your neighbors is unacceptable.
However, if you make war on your neighbors, and get spanked, you deserve what you get.

Your problem with my problem is that you seem to be having difficulty telling the moral difference between starting a fight and finishing it.

Kids on a playground. One of the kids is beating up the other, smaller kids and taking their lunch money. This is bad.

But then this kid goes to beat on another small kid, who just happens to be trained in karate. The small kid knocks him to the ground and takes HIS lunch money. This is NOT bad. It's good, just, and fair. Because the little kid didn't start the fight... but he finished it.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Correct me if I'm wrong, Rob ...

The British colonized Palenstine. When they withdrew, they didn't give it to the Palestinians, they gave the land to Jews, many of who started coming over by the bucket load from Europe.

So, what you've got is a European power coming over to the Middle East, essentially taking it over, and then, when they finally leave, not giving it to the people who owned it before, but to another group of people!

Is that moral? I mean, I can understand why the Palenstines were pissed -- especially cause the British broke their promise to give the country back to them, and gave it to someone else.

I guess I don't completely agree with how you see moral. For some reason, I didn't think you thought what happened to the American (as in, the continent) Indians was moral ... ?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The Israelis were at war with the Syrians, Jordanians and Egyptians. They weren't at war with the Palestineans because the Palestineans didn't have a state of their own

Quibble #1: You forgot to include the Iraqis and the Lebanese in the first war, they attacked, too.

Quibble #2: By that time, you mean. They HAD had a state before the first attack. The fact that the U.N. didn't give them ALL of the area was their beef (and where are the UN-supporters here?)
Which begs the question of whether Palestine was any more a state than an idea. It's a name of a region, but not a nation any more than the U.S.'s Appalachia. It didn't exist before the UN partitioning, it ceased to exist one day later in the war, so was it ever 'really' there?

And let me say that the guy who stands by and cheers on the lynch mob is just as much the enemy as the guy who holds the rope. (And if you don't think the Palestinians helped the invaders... naive. In fact, the encyclopedias say that the invaders were there "to help the native Arabs destroy Israel.")

Wasn't the rhetoric of the time about 'pushing the Jews into the sea?' I'd think that meant they intended genocide... pretty much ANY action is justifiable when you're trying to avoid that, including seizing the territory of the guys cheering on the lynch mob.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

quote:
the British broke their promise to give the country back to them

WHAT promise? certainly you're not referring to the Balfour Declaration, which said the exact opposite, and British insistence that the territory that they held "should not be considered in any future boundaries of any Arab state."

See?
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~gov46/uk-promis-arabs-1915.gif

[ October 23, 2001: Message edited by: First of Two ]

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Well certainly they've got a right to defend themselves, and it was their country at that time, after all ...

I, for one, am just trying to show how this issue isn't exactly black and white.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

quote:
I guess I don't completely agree with how you see moral. For some reason, I didn't think you thought what happened to the American (as in, the continent) Indians was moral ... ?

I don't. The Indians were invaded by hostile occupying forces, enslaved, forcibly relocated, etc usually without having attacked or assisted in any attacks, first When they were treated with respect, or left alone, there was generally little conflict. (Always some, but that level of conflict existed long before whites came.) They had to be taught to hate the Europeans, and they (the Euros) did a good job of teaching. So I wouldn't consider most Indian attacks and such as part of a separate conflict, but part of one large one.

[ October 23, 2001: Message edited by: First of Two ]

--------------------

Raw Cadet
Member # 725

- posted      Profile for Raw Cadet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of Two strikes me as one of conservative persuasion (correct me if I am wrong).

Conservatives, at least the current model, are not known for liking the United Nations. Yet, here we have a conservative repeatedly granting that the United Nations had the authority to do something.

Weird. Nothing is the same after 9/11.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Quibble #2: By that time, you mean. They HAD had a state before the first attack.

Incorrect. They had been a subject people under the Ottomans, then a British mandate, and once things went to hell in 1947 the British pulled out and it became a UN protectorate. They had no government nor institutions of their own, and certainly no military.

quote:

The fact that the U.N. didn't give them ALL of the area was their beef (and where are the UN-supporters here?)

Yes. And from where they were standing, they had a legitimate point. It had all been theirs before WW1, albeit dominated by Ottoman overlords. Now they were being told to give away half. It was a rational response to reject the '47 partition plan in referendum, although history has since changed that so now the Israelis say that the '47 partition plan should be dismissed and the Palestineans say it should be binding.

quote:
Which begs the question of whether Palestine was any more a state than an idea. It's a name of a region, but not a nation any more than the U.S.'s Appalachia. It didn't exist before the UN partitioning, it ceased to exist one day later in the war, so was it ever 'really' there?

Well, people a state make, not boundaries or dirt. The Palestineans are a people who can be grouped under the collective term "Arabs" just as the Welsh are a people can be grouped under the collective term "Celts." When the Ottoman Empire fell, the League of Nations carved out the British mandate of Palestine along ethnic lines, drawing a line between Palestineans and Jordanians, Egyptians, Lebanese and Syrians. The mandate system meant that the British would act as their supervisors until they had built up the institutions to become an independent state of their own. Under Wilson's 14 points, they had the right to self-determination. That was denied once Zionists showed up and staked a claim to half of their land.

quote:
And let me say that the guy who stands by and cheers on the lynch mob is just as much the enemy as the guy who holds the rope. (And if you don't think the Palestinians helped the invaders... naive. In fact, the encyclopedias say that the invaders were there "to help the native Arabs destroy Israel.")

Yes. I'm not saying the Palestineans weren't part of the side attacking Israel. But saying that they should be punished for the Pan-Arabism-fueled aggression of extremists in power in Egypt and Syria at the time is ridiculous. They didn't like half (and the better half, I might add) of "their" land suddenly being doled-out to these unrestricted immigrants who just showed up in the hundreds of thousands. They wanted to assert political control over it. Their friendly, albeit bully-like neighbors, were willing to help out.

quote:
Wasn't the rhetoric of the time about 'pushing the Jews into the sea?' I'd think that meant they intended genocide... pretty much ANY action is justifiable when you're trying to avoid that, including seizing the territory of the guys cheering on the lynch mob.

Not quite. The institutions of Israel, certainly. And I'm sure the looney fringes wanted outright ethnic cleansing and/or extermination. But for Joe Average Palestinean, all he wanted was a government in Jerusalem that would rule the entirety of Palestine according to the wishes of the majority, not half of "their" land being handed out to someone else who would found a religiously-based state in a land where that religion had not existed in a substantial form forty years earlier.

As for the Balfour declaration and stuff: Yeah, the British were making promises to both at once. The Balfour declaration, ahem:

quote:
Balfour Declaration, letter prepared in March 1916 and issued in November 1917, during World War I, by the British statesman Arthur James Balfour, then foreign secretary in the cabinet of Prime Minister David Lloyd George. Specifically, the letter expressed the British government's approval of Zionism with "the establishment in Palestine of a national home for the Jewish people." The letter committed the British government to making the "best endeavors to facilitate the achievement of this object, it being clearly understood that nothing shall be done which may prejudice the civil and religious rights of existing non-Jewish communities in Palestine, or the rights and political status enjoyed by Jews in any other country." (from Encarta)
...was indeed a statement of support for the establishment of a Jewish homeland in Palestine, and was a result of the Rothchilds pouring a rather large sum of money into the British treasury during WWI to bail them out when war expenses threatened to bring down the Bank of England. This "donation" was granted on the condition that Britain would do what it could to help the Zionist movement once the Ottomans were expelled.

Meanwhile, that little figure you might have heard of called Lawrence of Arabia was working with the Arabs to clean the Ottomans out of their lands. The Palestineans essentially won the freedom of their own land, which is a lot more than, say, what the Poles or Hungarians managed to do. There were also numerous British foreign policy communiques, most notably that of McMahon, that supported the idea that every national group who fought against the Ottomans would be given the right to self-determination and self-rule of their own submerged states once the war was won. The British and French carried through with this promise first to the Saudis, and then after a mandate period, to the Iraqis, Syrians, Lebanese, Jordanians. But not the Palestineans, because (a)the British and French gave away half of Palestine to the Jews, and (b) didn't take action when Israel, "justly," as you say, occupied the remaining parts of the Palestine mandate, forever preventing the Palestineans from their right to self-determination. They and the Kurds are the only people who didn't get a state of their own after the old empires were dismantled at Paris in 1914.

So yeah, the British made promises to two people and couldn't keep both. Let's burn Liam to death.

On a side note, one of the later, more cynical views of history, is that the UN stood by and let the Jews declare the state of Israel despite the lack of a consensus in Palestine of who owned what because they thought that Israel would be promptly demolished by its angry neighbors and it would all be a moot point anyway. Nobody seriously thought the Israelis could win the 1948 war and thought that if they were stupid enough to intentionally piss of the Arab peoples around them that they deserved to be beaten up. Of course, when they not only won but increased their territory, they were rather quick to back off.

A cynical view of history, and not necessarily mine

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think there is any other way to look at the past. Thank you for nine messy decades of total chaos, Princip...

[ October 24, 2001: Message edited by: Mojo Jojo ]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

quote:
Conservatives, at least the current model, are not known for liking the United Nations.

I am not 'the current model.'

Or to quote another...
'I am unlike any life form you have encountered before.'

[ October 24, 2001: Message edited by: First of Two ]

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps