Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » stop dubbing now!

Author Topic: stop dubbing now!
RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Imagine this - I turn on my TV, I come across a scene from a well known movie, I decide to watch it for a moment, then the main character (say, Sam Jackson, Nic Cage or someone else) comes in view and.. starts talking. In German.

AAH! :]

Disgusted, I turn to a Dutch channel, with subtitling.

I sigh in relief.

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*lol* When I went to Taiwan, nearly all their foreign tv shows, American or Japanese, were dubbed. I could go crazy watching one of them because the dubbing is SO bad! You can completely tell that adults are playing the roles of children (as in cartoons), and they all sound contrived and artificial. If you were lucky, you can find a show that allows different languages, which then you can switch it back to the original langauge (All shows except live ones are subtitled in Chinese).

------------------
"I have come to the conclusion that one man is called a disgrace, that two are called a law firm, and that three on the law become a congress! And by God I have had this Congress!"
--John Adams, "1776"

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On occasion, I watch Speed Racer on the cartoon network. It was originally in Japanese and dubbed in English. It's kinda funny that no matter how somber the scene, the voices are flying at 100 miles an hour.

------------------
"Some people call me the Space Cowboy. Yeah! Some call me the Gangster of Love. Some people call me Maurice. Whoo hoo! 'Cause I speak of the Pompatus of Love!" - Steve Miller Band's The Joker

Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone seen "Mad Max?"

Filmed in English with Australian accents, it was dubbed/looped in English for the American audience...with very forced, hokey American accents.

Just awful.

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I prefer the dubbed version if it's an ordinary police or action movie. I wonder if Americans are aware that their every day language is so much different from what is taught at school and written in books. No offense, but most Americans have a lazy and mumbling pronounciation, as if they wouldn't want to be understood, most actors included. That's the way it is, and I don't postulate that they try to speak more in a more pronounced way, just to be better understood in foreign countries. This is what dubbing is really necessary for, otherwise I wouldn't always get the point and miss many of the jokes, and I guess this applies to about 95% of the people in Germany. Maybe the people in the Netherlands have more English language practice.

Star Trek, however, is the bright exception. It is possible to understand every word without rewinding the tape. This might be due to the fact technobabble is universal, but mostly it's the clear pronounciation. I like the original version much more, and I'm always disappointed when I watch the dubbed episode about a year later.

------------------
Early bird catches the gagh. (The Doctor to B'Elanna at 06:00, "Drone")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Hm. I use the CC for the simpsons on the BBC, and I used it when I still watched the X-files on the same channel. David Duchovny is a chronic mumbler..

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...while his German voice is quite clear. I know you agree that the least pleasant Star Trek voice is that of Kate "Duck" Mulgrew.
Dani
Naboo Handmaiden
Ex-Part-Time Admin
Member # 57

- posted      Profile for Dani     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*grins*

Someone say DUCKS?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking? God, we moved beyond primitive vocal communication ages ago. Direct neural linkups. You continental boys really are behind, aren't you?

------------------
"I'm sick, like Nixon was sick, my defeated heart keeps beating on. I won't die, like Chucky won't die."
--
They Might Be Giants

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That explains it.

------------------
"I have come to the conclusion that one man is called a disgrace, that two are called a law firm, and that three on the law become a congress! And by God I have had this Congress!"
--John Adams, "1776"

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

Continental speak:

------------------
I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer. (McCoy in "Devil in the Dark")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1011!!!!!

HAHAHAHA! Sorry, perhaps a bit rude for a family audience

------------------
"I AM THE SPIDER!!!!"
- Vic Reeves

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps