Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Taliban near defeat! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Taliban near defeat!
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rob seems bitter. Maybe he thinks people aren't speaking highly enough of the Northern Alliance, or perhaps he agrees that they're a bunch of thugs but doesn't think people are talking about what a good thing the taking of Kabul is.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last I heard, the Taliban now holds only about 20% of Afghanistan.

I was listening to a talk radio show yesterday, and some guy brought up the fact that we haven't been doing much Bin Laden hunting. Rather than finding Bin Laden and delivering his head on a stick to those who were affected by the 9/11 attacks, we're concentrating our efforts toward decimating the Taliban. At this point, how can we be sure Bin Laden is still in Afghanistan? For all we know, he could be hiding out in a unabomber style shack in Montana.

P.S. Did anyone see the latest episode of South Park where Stan, Kyle, Kenny, and Cartman got trapped in a cargo plane and wound up in Afghanistan. LOL The South Park version of Bin Laden was absolutly classic!

[ November 14, 2001: Message edited by: MIB ]

IP: Logged
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice theory, Snay. Fortunately, there's no evidence to back it up. All MY post did was state some easily verifiable facts.

Why would I be bitter? MY president currently has the highest approval ratings in history! Campaign 2004 is already underway! Then, in 2008, it's MY turn!

I saw that South Park episode. The best part was Cartman giving BinLaden the 'Bugs Bunny / Elmer Fudd' treatment. HA!

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

MIB
Ex-Member

Bush Sr. had a very high approval rating too during the gulf war. A few months later he left the oval office with an approval rating that was well below 50%

To be frank, his approval ratings are high because of the boasted sense of patriotism and what not. It isn't necessarily because 80 to 90% of the population actually enjoyed the fact that Bush flushed 10 years worth of projected budget surpluses down the shitter.(I think it's safe to say that given our current economic situation, those budget projections aren't gonna be worth their weight in dog s**t.) If it weren't for 9/11, his approval rating would still be stagnating at around 55% or so.

This is not to say I don't approve of bombing the s**t out of the Taliban.

[ November 14, 2001: Message edited by: MIB ]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MIB makes good points. Even if Bush does win next election (don't get your hopes up, remember his daddy), it'll be hard for Republicans to claim a victory on Bush's domestic agenda, given how he has currently politically capitalized on the tragedies and resulting patriotism following 9/11 (which, just so you don't think I'm biased, would've given anyone a super high approval rating too).

Speaking of which, aren't you and Omega always going on about how inaccurate polls are?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Getting back to the topic at hand... Came across this. Makes the former Yugoslavia look downright homogenous.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Damn. I hope Bush & Co. have a clear idea on how they're planning on handling this, or we're going to give Muslim Fundies a lot more reasons to hate the Western World when Afghanistan and Pakistan disolve into Civil War ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bush 41 didn't get re-elected for two reasons. 1) He raised taxes, causing a recession, which Clinton proceeded to lie about during his campaign. 2) Perot. Without either of those factors, Bush 41 would have won again in '92. Neither applies to Bush 43.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before we go off on this little tangent (which, if I may drop a hint, is going to be completely counterproductive knowing the people around here, and should be avoided in the first place), allow me to fellate my ego and say that I just finished a Comp. Politics. term paper the other day which dealt with Clinton's election in 92 in great detail. And Omega's wrong. But you knew I'd say that. So I'll surprise you a little and say I thought Putting People First was a terribly dry read. Omega's still wrong, though.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Tom (my favorite verb), you can't drop tantalizing bits like that and expect me not to be curious. Details, details! Heck, if you don't want to post it here, e-mail me ... [email protected]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

MIB
Ex-Member

quote:
He raised taxes, causing a recession, which Clinton proceeded to lie about during his campaign.

Clinton lied about the fact that Bush rose taxes and started a recession? If anything, I would think think he would never shut up about it sense he was running against Bush after all.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Since. Haven't we harped on you enough about this? And trim that sig boy!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

MIB
Ex-Member

DAMN IT!!!! I'm always making that mistake!! And what do want me to do with my sig? What's wrong with it? WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME!?!?!?
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Sig is too big. Hey, don't feel bad, I got yelled at about my long sig too. Sol mentioned it as well, I believe.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

MIB
Ex-Member

*sigh* Very well........kill joy.
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps