Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Sit Back, & Watch The Fireworks (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Sit Back, & Watch The Fireworks
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
How many people would hijack a plane with a knife?

Because they couldn't take guns onto the plane, remeber? [Smile]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's it. I'm never coming to this board again.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How are you ever going to learn anything with an attitude like that? [Smile]

My point is that it wasn't the proliferation of knives, or the proliferation of airliners, that made the September 11th tragedy possible.

It was the proliferation of bad people.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what do you suggest we do? Somehow filter out the fuckwits and prevent 'm from breeding in the first place (hmm... we could be on to something [Big Grin] )? Or should we *maybe* alter the Constitution a tiny little bit and actually start IMPOSING some anti-proliferation measures?

[ December 28, 2001: Message edited by: Cartman ]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Somehow filter out the fuckwits and prevent 'm from breeding in the first place?

Well, I AM in favor of the Death Penalty, aren't I? [Smile]
You'd be better off if you simply enforced more of the 10,000 state and local laws already on the books.

See, the Constitution of the United States only prohibits the US Congress from making such laws. It doesn't prohibit the states. States can take whatever measures they deem appropriate... assuming that they don't violate the State's Constitution. Local governments and Municipalities can do the same, with ordinances.

Project Exile worked wonders, for one.

[ December 28, 2001: Message edited by: First of Two ]

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well, I AM in favor of the Death Penalty, aren't I?

Oh, yeah, that does wonders. Costs more, doesn't deter ... and it's "after" the crime has been committed, so it doesn't accomplish anything. Prevention is the goal.

quote:
You'd be better off if you simply enforced more of the 10,000 state and local laws already on the books.

Maybe if we could get some more cops on the street ... for some reason, either you or Omega usually directs this diatribe at politicians. Curious.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

quote:
Prevention is the goal.

Prevents him from doing it again. Prevents him from siring high-risk offspring. Prevents him from influencing other lesser offenders he may be incarcerated with. But this is off-topic...

Snay, they usually don't even enforce the on-the-books gun laws when they CATCH the guys.

I mean, if you committ a crime with a gun, you committ something like six other crimes just by having the gun with you. If you fire it, that's around seven more. If you hit someone, well.

But they rarely charge anybody with those crimes (like, it's unlawful to discharge a firearm within a so-many-yard radius of any residence), or they allow them to be plea-bargained away.

Do you deny that Project Exile (use a gun in a felony, go to federal jail for 5 years mandatory) cut gun crime significantly?

[ December 28, 2001: Message edited by: First of Two ]

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

quote:
Do you deny that Project Exile (use a gun in a felony, go to federal jail for 5 years mandatory) cut gun crime significantly?

When did I deny that? Do you deny that Project Exile is gun control? Do you deny that gun control is legal and can reduce crime?

quote:
Prevents him from doing it again. Prevents him from siring high-risk offspring.

Ah, so you're *not* from the "nurture" line of thought ... ?

quote:
Snay, they usually don't even enforce the on-the-books gun laws when they CATCH the guys.

Yeah, but how is that the politicians' fault?

quote:
Prevents him from doing it again.

So does a life sentence.

quote:
Prevents him from siring high-risk offspring.

It is possibly to prevent inmates from conjegal visits. Of course, its always possible he's had a kid before he got in jail, but the death penalty doesn't prevent this any better then other options that don't involve killing him (or, in all fairness, her).

quote:
Prevents him from influencing other lesser offenders he may be incarcerated with.

Isolation, or incarceration with others who have life sentences and thus won't be getting out until they're dead.

Besides, it costs more to kill someone then to keep them alive.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

As for the whole "you can't win a battle against superior forces" argument... history points to several examples when that HAS occurred. Especially when the 'inferior' force knows the terrain and all the hiding places (and I do).

And a lot more where it hasn't. Assuming the U.S. does send the army after you, it's a good bet several of those soldiers will be from Pennsylvannia, possibly even from your home town, thereby negating your 'I know the terrain!' arguement.

Keep in mind that the Taliban knew the terrain, and all the hiding places, and had a lot better military forces then you did, and look what happened to them. If the Taliban got steam-rolled, you'd get ... is there even a word? "Hey, what was that I stubbed my foot on?"

(and who says I couldn't manufacture basement equivalents of some of those other "arms" if I needed to? Daddy was a chemist, remember.)

So, your dad trained you to be a chemist ... ? Or he trained you to make bombs? What exactly are you saying here?

Another is that it also does not take into account bad-guy-on-bad-guy murders, and lumps them in with innocent people.

Innocent people don't shoot each other illegally, Rob. Given that only 1% of homicides are legally justifiable, we've still got a lot of people who don't know how and when they can use their precious guns.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

quote:
Ah, so you're *not* from the "nurture" line of thought ... ?

Actually, I'm from the "both" line.
But how often do crooks' kids get good nurture?

quote:
Besides, it costs more to kill someone then to keep them alive.

Only when you do it the current, inefficient way, with endless appeals processes. Sentence the doubtful offenders to life,yes, but the confessors, the 'caught over the body plunging the knife-in-hand' killers, the DNA-proven can be fragged at low cost. We can get them for you wholesale.

quote:
Assuming the U.S. does send the army after you, it's a good bet several of those soldiers will be from Pennsylvannia, possibly even from your home town, thereby negating your 'I know the terrain!' arguement.

Keep in mind that the Taliban knew the terrain, and all the hiding places, and had a lot better military forces then you did, and look what happened to them. If the Taliban got steam-rolled, you'd get ... is there even a word? "Hey, what was that I stubbed my foot on?"

You assume I'd be alone. Likely, anything severe enough to get ME to rebel would cause widespread reactions. Bombing another country is one thing. Whacking an opponent scattered throughout your own country is entirely different.

quote:
So, your dad trained you to be a chemist ... ? Or he trained you to make bombs? What exactly are you saying here?

My dad taught me enough about chemistry that I know what blows up and what doesn't.

More later. I gotta leave work now.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the Flare News Network, I'm Tom Aylward-Nally. I'm here live with Mr. Dead Horse.

Tom:So, tell me, how are you feeling?

Dead Horse:I imagine, Tom, I fall into the proverbial "world full of pain."

Tom:Really?

Dead Horse: Indeed. I think that the last half dozen posts have broken about four or five of my ribs. That's on top of the concussion that Jeff started things out with and the dislocated jaw Rob contributed. I think Omega's been poking around my ass, as well.

Tom: I see. So they've been...

Dead Horse:Flogging me. Beating me. Whatever idiom tickles you, I guess.

Tom:And I'm to understand this isn't the first time?

Dead Horse:Oh, I can't say I've ever had it too well here. For a while they used to kick my teeth in every time religion came up. Silliness about some guy named "Adam" and his girl "Eve," I think. And then they broke three of my legs over Keynesian economic theory. It's a good thing I'm already dead, or else I wouldn't have been able to walk.

Tom:That's terrible.

Dead Horse:But things had been looking up for the last couple of months. Just a few bumps and bruises, but no flogging. I guess I got my hopes up a little too high.

Tom:So what now?

Dead Horse:Well, not a whole lot. I'd cry out in pain, but being dead is something of an obstacle. I'd just really like them to stop, and let this old horse curl up in the hay somewhere and relax.

For the Flare News Network, this is Tom Aylward-Nally.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*edits post*

I guess I should look to see if there are more than one pages on this topic next time...

[ December 28, 2001: Message edited by: Veers ]

--------------------
Meh

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tom is funny.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

quote:
Only when you do it the current, inefficient way, with endless appeals processes.

So, the only thing the government does efficiently is to find people guilty ... ? Curious. One would think a person like you would want to take every available measure to make certain that an innocent person was *not* executed.

quote:
Whacking an opponent scattered throughout your own country is entirely different.

Okay, so a bunch of guys armed with handguns are running around taking pot shots at guys in body armor. I'm sure you'd destroy the Death Star.

Sorry Dead Horse, but, uh, you're dead.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grokca:
In the states you have the right to bear arms, here in Canada you have the right to bare breasts. Where would you rather live?

Maybe somewhere just across the border. I'm all for the right to bear breasts. Perhaps a US constitutional amendment is in order...

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps