Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Repeal the 2nd Ammendment (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Repeal the 2nd Ammendment
Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Violence is on the rise.

Young people are getting guns from their parents houses and killing people with them.

This can't be stopped, because we are given the right in the Constitution to bear arms.

Solution: Repeal the second ammendment, which would then permit the states and/or the federal government to severely restrict or even totally ban guns.

Not like it will ever happen.

------------------
"Okay, so I'm not "SANE" so to speak, but uh... I'm the lovable kind of psycho"
http://solareclipse.net/

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You think after 200+ years of our right to bear arms, that they'd repeal it? Didn't think so either. I highly doubt it'll change. One point being, there are too many guns already out there...plus, most of the nation wouldn't stand for it either.

------------------
Jeff Raven - Having more fun than any human being should be allowed to have

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First-Amendment Bug Removed From Bill Of Rights 2.0

------------------
"I'm sick, like Nixon was sick, my defeated heart keeps beating on. I won't die, like Chucky won't die."
--
They Might Be Giants

LB4747
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
While I personally would not be opposed to repealing the 2nd Amendment, that simply is not going to stop violence in schools, or anywhere else. Criminals will always find other ways to hurt and kill people.

I mean, these students in Denver didn't just have guns, they had explosives too -- bombs.

And stabbings in schools happen even more often than shootouts -- but unless someone dies, you usually don't hear about it on the evening news.

Sadly, even if guns were to be banned tomorrow, a teenager or an adult intent on committing violence is going to find a way to do it.

And as you said, a repeal isn't going to happen. That's why we need to concentrate on finding a realistic solution to all of this -- assuming there is a solution, which I'm not convinced there is. Sorry for being cynical.

------------------
Lawrence Boucher
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.
The important thing is not to stop questioning."
--Albert Einstein

[This message was edited by LB4747 on April 21, 1999.]

IP: Logged
Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We cannot stop the fact that violence exists. We cannot stop the fact that guns exist. We cannot change the way these things happen.

We can't take the guns away from the murders. The only thing we can do is try to stop the intent behind it.

When there is peace in this world, such things will not be needed. When there is no hatred, there will be no reason to fire a gun at anyone. Where there is love, and respect, and tolerance, there is no room for these things.

We can only kill it with kindness. It's the only power we have.

And isn't it funny .... that it's the strongest?

------------------
There are people who one loves immediatly and forever. Just to know that you exist in the same world together is sufficient. Till I loved, I never lived - enough.

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of crimes are poverty driven. You should start to focus on how to alleviate poverty. Which would atuomatically bring down the crime rates.

------------------
I drink therefore I am.

-Descartes

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought we'd already had this argument.
I guess recent events have made it resutrface.

------------------
"I AM THE SPIDER!!!!"
- Vic Reeves

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

NUKE THE U.S.!

(kidding!)

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Re: Second amendment- The second amendment was put in place because the US did not have an army at the time, and needed volunteers to stand up to defend the country. Now that they do, this amendment is not only outdated, it is DANGEROUS.

Re: Poverty driven crimes- This one does not seem to be the case. Columbine High appears to be an affluent High School, tennis courts, baseball diamond, etc. May I remind you that a great deal of crimes are also driven by hatred. Last week, in Ottawa, a former transit employee walked into a transit garage, and murdered 4 employees. He apparently was angry about people teasing him about his stuttering.

As of now, the newspaper says that the police have not established a motive for this. As well, these wackos were so vengeful that they were laughing while they killed people, and even killed those who were begging for their lives.

Bottom line: you can't massacre people with a knife.

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

[This message was edited by Tahna Los on April 21, 1999.]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can do it with bombs, though, which ARE illegal. And yet they had them. Curious.

------------------
"I'm sick, like Nixon was sick, my defeated heart keeps beating on. I won't die, like Chucky won't die."
--
They Might Be Giants

Chimaera
Ex-Member

As I understand it, changing the American constitution is even harder than changing the Canadian one, which makes it almost impossible. Especially when you consider how wealthy and powerful the gun lobby is in the US. Repealing the second amendment is, in my opinion, a very sensible thing to do, but it won't be done because the American government isn't interested in doing sensible things a lot of the time, only popular things.

Tahna Los: that's interesting about the origin of the second amendment, kind of makes sense, especially when you consider that back then it was damned impossible to get Americans to volunteer anything (a tendency which brought on the war for independence by the way, but that's kind of a long, off topic, piece of history). Of course, now the US does have an army....

------------------
"Sometimes you get the bear, and sometimes the bear gets you."
-Commander Riker, USS Enterprise

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its so much easier to criticize other governments when one doesn't have to live by them.

I personally support everything in the Bill of Rights. Its worked for more than 200+ years, and we're the number one nation in the world, and as others have stated, its people that kill, not guns. We made a provision that everyone had the right to own a gun, whether it be for hunting or protection, and mistake or not, we live with it.

Outlaw guns, and then only outlaws will have them.

------------------
Jeff Raven - Having more fun than any human being should be allowed to have

Chimaera
Ex-Member

Some reading courtesy of CNN, pertaining to the tragedy in Colorado:

quote:
In Hong Kong and New Delhi, the rampage that left at least 13 people dead was the top world news story. It was front-page news in major Japanese and Taiwanese newspapers for their evening editions.

South Korean TV stations carried it as urgent news. "The worst school shooting accident; The American continent jolted!" said an inside-page headline of the mass circulation Chosun Ilbo newspaper. Other papers carried analytical pieces blaming the tragedy on widespread gun ownership in the United States. In South Korea, gun possession is illegal.

"How sick is the gun society of America?" asked an article in the Yomiuri daily in Japan under the headline "Atrocity in an American high school."

"If we don't watch out, the same tragedy could happen in Japan," said education expert Itaru Arizono. "The No. 1 problem is that guns are so easy to get in the United States, even by youngsters."

It seems that the US is quickly becoming an example of what NOT to do with regards to gun policy. And people wonder why Americans are stereotyped as a violent, trigger happy society. The reason is that there's a grain of truth in the stereotype.

------------------
"Sometimes you get the bear, and sometimes the bear gets you."
-Commander Riker, USS Enterprise

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Guns don't kill people. People kill guns.)

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Quintesson: "You are the Autobot named Kup. You are Cybertron's chief of security."
Kup: "Nah, my name's Teaspoon, and I'm Cybertron's chief dishwasher."

The Excalibur
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for The Excalibur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guns are not the problem here. The thing is that parents don't talk to their kids. I can not imagine something like this happening a few years ago, and I came from a racialy balanced school. From what I've seen in the paper, the kids were after blacks and athletes. I don't think there is an answer to racisum. That comes mostly from the way you were raised. I was lucky, I didn't pick up my fathers hatered of non whites, but a lot of kids do.
In school, I was a member of the non conforming low life outcast wannabe's. Smoked, Drank, took drugs. Even some of my more radical friends never came up with anything liked what happened yesterday, and we had guns or accses to guns. There were fights, but not that many. This kind of thing I just don't understand. Banning guns now would just mean 500million unregistered guns.

------------------
Down for Upgrade

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps