Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » This is Stupid (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: This is Stupid
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is getting too funny man.....
Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
A knife has no other use but to cut things with.

You can butter things with one.
I guess they don't let you use knives too often.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, yes, but you have to cut the stick of butter first...

a lead filled people

Didn't ancient Rome have this problem?

One is intentionally good, but can be used for evil. One is intentionally evil but can be used for good. Fundamentially different.

An inanimate object can neither be good or evil, regardless of the intended purpose when it was designed. We've been over this.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well, yes, but you have to cut the stick of butter first...
No you don't you can scrape the butter off the stick.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Much like skinning an animal, which a human is...

Damn, you are a barbarian....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What argument? My argument?

I'm really not following your logic. But when you are arguing with someone who has apparently convinced himself that the primary purpose behind most gun designs is NOT to kill things, then I don't see what point there is in anything.

And ignoring knives (which are either primarily weapons or eating devices, or half way), and baseball bats (which have been used as weapons by many), I'm still not sure how you're equating a gun with a camera. I have yet to hear of any large scale riots where people were battered to death with Kodaks.

(Stupid forgetting word fingers...)

[ May 26, 2002, 18:25: Message edited by: PsyLiam ]

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a jumble of random thoughts here, not really directed at anybody in particular:

And yet cameras and the pictures they have taken have created situations that have nearly started WW3 on several occasions.

Used in particular ways, it's clear that a camera can destroy lives just as effectively as a bullet. It just does so in a different manner.

Take for example the aftermath of the Rodney King beating a decade ago. A camera had nothing to do with that, right?

The problem with the camera metaphor is that the Major Purpose of a gun is to kill or wound people. The Major Purpose of a camera is to take pictures. That's the inconsistancy giving the analogy a greasy taste to some of you.

Side-stepping this by saying things like "But you could use a gun as a paperweight so your Hustler collection won't blow away" is just silly, because it's obvious that while you could use it for that, that is not what it was made for at the slave factory. It's a kind of semantic obfuscation, and I think it's dishonest.

(edited for hideous spelling. Twice.)

[ May 26, 2002, 00:12: Message edited by: thoughtcriminal84 ]

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to point out that there's no way one can successfully utilize the term "semantic obfuscation" without it sounding all naughty-like.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
An inanimate object can neither be good or evil, regardless of the intended purpose when it was designed.
*Sigh*

"Intended purpose" is what this argument is all about.

quote:
And yet cameras and the pictures they have taken have created situations that have nearly started WW3 on several occasions.
Ironically enough, those cameras are the property of the U.S. military.

quote:
The problem with the camera metaphor is
that the Major Purpose of a gun is to kill or wound people.

That is, unless you are fortunate enough to live in Omega's or First of Two's little world.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They use their guns to masturbate. Except Omega doesn't own one, so he uses his father's.

Guns ARE built to kill. Pretending otherwise is stupid. No one says they AREN'T around to kill. They're built to kill and to do so very effectively with the assorted varieties of ammunition. What the gun is used for -- mowing down innocents in a resteraunt, or shooting down intruders -- makes people like or dislike it, not what it is built to do.

Shooting some guy who cuts you off in the middle of traffic isn't an appropriate use of a gun. Some guy kicks in your door and points a shotgun at you, that's a different story. It's all about how and for what you use a gun for. If guns themselves were evil, we'd be disarming the police & the military ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although there IS something to be said for going back to the gladius & the pilum...

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

The Defiant
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now what was this thread about at first? Something about cheese, or chalupas, or cameroni?
But who cares?

IP: Logged
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeeeezus! Nothing worse then newbies who think they're funny ...

[Roll Eyes]

If you don't know what the thread was about, its not hard to figure it out. It'll take you about ten minutes to read through all the posts.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'd like to point out that there's no way one can successfully utilize the term "semantic obfuscation" without it sounding all naughty-like.

Yep. I was watching "Where the Boys Aren't 13" at the time. But the context is good, I think.

Damn fine background noise when you're discussing such weighty matters as gun control.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff, are you ever going to get off of this boat called ALLNEWBIESMUSTDIE? It's not making anyone think you have a bigger penis (and nor is this sudden urge to kill deer with a gun, rather than a vehicle).

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps