Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » New Trek » PIC 2x02 "Penance" ($$$)

Author Topic: PIC 2x02 "Penance" ($$$)
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so I'll leave the plot summaries to others, but there was a LOT of ref dropping here, & not so subtly:

• "Yesterday's Enterprise"!
• "Through A Mirror, Darkly"!
• Dukat!
• Martok!
• Sisko!
• Sarek!

Speaking of the last, the Vulcan ships being blown away by Rios' squad are the same ones used by DiscoSarek in that show's S1 & 2.

The First Contact Borg music cues when Picard & the Queen meet were a nice touch. Repurposing a very identifiable modern Hong Kong as alt-future Okinawa was not.

Elnor is the biggest fucking himbo around.

Where is Soji? Will that have to do with Adam Soong in the past? Interesting casting note: alt-Seven's hubby, the Magistrate of Earth (weird-as title) is played by Jon Jon Briones—the brother of Isa Briones.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Soji hooks up with Adam, creating the mother of modern humanity, because all this has happ . . . wait, wrong franchise.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
the Magistrate of Earth (weird-as title) is played by Jon Jon Briones—the brother of Isa Briones.
Well, that's creepy since he's also her father.

Not that I put much thought into it, but I always figured Ferengi ears were mostly cartilage.

General Ben Sisko? Or General Jake Sisko?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was it her dad? I thought...never mind.

Geberal Joe Sisko!

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me, I loved the cat voiced by Patton Oswalt. I was like, "Is that fucking Patton Oswalt in Star Trek?!"

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Shik
Member # 343

{Wayne} Was it realleh? {/Wayne}

--------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think he’s been in just about everything genre or pop-culturally significant but a Star War at this point. And Doctor Who. He clocks up those, he’s basically eclipsed W. Morgan Shepherd. Probably already has if anyone cares to run the numbers.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I get it... I just never thought I'd see or hear Oswalt in Trek. Maybe that's just me. Also the fact the hologram animated cat was named Spot - 73 after the E-D's unofficial mascot cat.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even with his holograms, it was weird that Rios didn't have a crew on La Sirena in this episode.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was weird that an obvious freighter was being used as a fighter, TBH. There are some very odd decisions being made all round, so far; but I’ll reserve judgement (and accounting) until later in the season, in case they turn out to have reasons for being so.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also loved the shoutouts, both to in-universe characters and even the meta episode titles (cheesy though they were). There were apparently a few other shoutouts in the president’s intelligence briefing according to Twitter:

Field officer for the Andorian rebellion: Lt. Colonel Tasha Yar
Field officer for the Dominion Alliance war: General Miles O’Brien
Vulcan leader: Fleet Commander Tuvok

I also wondered what the heck a fleet of freighters was doing in a dogfight. I could see the design maybe adapted as troop and equipment transports for orbital assault and landing. But regardless, it made no sense for Rios to be flying the ship alone and empty.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So the Kaplan F17 freighers are patrol frigates in the Confederation timeline:

CSS Cetus NCC-93130
CSS La Sirena NCC-93131
CSS Hydra NCC-93135
CSS Charybis NCC-93137
CSS Makara NCC-93142
CSS Selkie NCC-93147

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
https://www.instagram.com/p/CbGMCZvvicx/?utm_medium=share_sheet

The scull collection in detail:
Gul Dukat (Cardassian)
Director Sarek (Vulcan)
Grand Nagus Zek (Ferengi)
Chieftain M'Talas (Lihn Zhee)
General Martok (Klingon)
Commodore Y'Shi (Saurian)
One of Two (Borg Sentinel)

I like the green tint of the Vulcan scull, but strongly dislike the Disco Klingon for Martok.

Also 4 additional Kaplan frigates:

CSS Cetus NCC-93130
CSS La Sirena NCC-93131
CSS Hydra NCC-93135
CSS Charybis NCC-93137
CSS Makara NCC-93142
CSS Selkie NCC-93147
CSS Kappa NCC-93154
CSS Ahuizotl NCC-93159
CSS Zin Kibaru NCC-93161
CSS Scylla NCC-93165

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps