Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » New Trek » SNW 3x03 "Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow" ($$$) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: SNW 3x03 "Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow" ($$$)
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry I never got around to last week's episode, folks. You do know you start one yourselves, right? Right?

Anyway, I really enjoyed this episode. I'm always up for some good temporal hijinks. [Big Grin]

We start with following La'an around on what is presumed to be a typical day. Is that another new uniform variant on Chief Jay?

After a flash in one of the hallways, La'an runs into someone who has been shot with bullets. Before dying, he explains that there's been an attack in the past and that La'an has to stop it. He hands her some sort of temporal doodad (complete with TCARS display!) before another flash happens and he disappears.

La'an heads to the bridge only to find things have changed. Kirk is now captain of the Enterprise, which is now an Earth ship rather than a Federation ship. Spock is now captain of a Vulcan ship under attack by the Romulans, asking for aid which Kirk declines due to Earth's own problems with the Romulans. La'an no longer exists, at least not on the Enterprise.

La'an and Kirk squabble over the doodad, which they accidentally activate, sending them back to 21st Century Toronto. Comically, Kirk initially believes them to be in New York City despite being surrounded by rather obvious evidence to the contrary.

The duo first go about getting a change of clothes, and they wind up picking out nearly identical outfits. Then Kirk does some chess hustling to make enough money for food and someplace to stay. We find out that Earth is not in good shape these day's in Kirk's timeline.

The next day, the two investigate a bridge blown up in a terrorist attack. They meet a photographer, Sera, who shows them her photos, one of which is of a Romulan Bird-of-Prey. They tail
the wreckage in a stolen car until pulled over by the police, but are saved by Sera who claims they are famous civil rights activists. Sera seems to be a nutcase claiming to be an alien abductee.

Somehow, La'an and Kirk determine the next target will be a secret cold fusion reactor under Toronto, but have no way to know exactly where it is. They track down the 21st Century version of Pelia for engineering help, only to find that she hasn't learned any engineering yet. However, she does give them an old watch that should glow in the presence of fusion by-products.

They head back to Toronto and track down the fusion reactor... which is located at the Noonien-Singh Institute. Sera shows up and holds the two at gunpoint, demanding access to the facility. Turns out Sera is a Romulan temporal operative. La'an refuses, and Sera shoots and kills Kirk. La'an uses her hand on the scanner and is granted access.

La'an tries to talk Sera out of blowing up the reactor, but Sera says the reactor was Plan B. She's going to carry out Plan A... assassinate KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

And here's where we get to possibly one of the most hilarious meta jokes of all time. Sera time travelled back to 1992 (the year given in TOS for the Eugenics Wars), expecting to find the Eugenics Wars in full swing. Except... nothing. No Eugenics Wars. No Khan. All the temporal meddlings throughout the timeline have shifted the Eugenics Wars into the 21st Century now. So Sera's been stuck on Earth for decades waiting around for Khan to show up. No wonder she's so pissed off. [Razz]

La'an and Sera fight outside of the room Khan is inside, and Sera manages to force La'an to open the door. La'an eventually gets the upper hand and shoots Sera (complete with green blood), and Sera self-disintegrates (maybe?) to avoid capture.

La'an goes into the room to find Khan as a young boy. La'an reassures him that he's safe before she uses the temporal doodad to go back home.

Everything is back to normal, and La'an goes to her quarters. Waiting for her there is Agent Ymalay of the DTI. Whereas Dulmer and Lucsly were comically serious, Ymalay seems like she's pissed off. La'an is clearly having a rough go processing everything that happened, especially Kirk's death. Ymalay's response is "You can't tell anyone what happened. And give me my doodad back."

The episode ends with La'an contacting this timeline's Kirk under the pretense of updating Sam's security file to see him one more time.

Like I said, pretty good episode. I think my only problem is why Sera, a Romulan agent, would keep a picture of a BoP on her camera. But we get to see a lot of La'an's softer side as she and Kirk start falling for each other.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So La'an guessed Sera was Romulan, based on knowing there was a Romulan ship in the mix. But she doesn't know what Romulans really look like, because the one she meets is disguised as a human! It's quite a clever way of subverting yet preserving the "Humans don't know Romulans are basically Vulcans" trope.

I'm unclear at what point Sera figured out who they were. Was she just acting crazy throughout (only not really acting, given 30 years stuck in a timeline altered from what she expected has obviously taken its toll)? I think we have to assume so, and her meeting them in the facility was a happy (for her) accident; she had no way of knowing La'an was a Noonien Singh, even if she only belatedly recognised Kirk.

Given Dulmer's (or is it Dulmur?) and Lucsly's names originated as anagrams of Mulder & Scully, bit disappointed that the new TBI agent didn't have an anagrammatic name. Something based on Skinner, Doggett, Reyes, Krycek, Spender, Covarrubias, Byers/Langley/Frohike... and we get Ymalay? put some effort in!

And, it would have potentially been a nice touch if Adam Soong had turned up at the end to check on Khan, bringing it full circle. Though who wants to really be reminded of PIC s2? I doubt Brent Spiner does, now he's "back" as Data - or has given his 'proper' character a proper sign-off, anyway.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I think my only problem is why Sera, a Romulan agent, would keep a picture of a BoP on her camera.
Because she's quite adept at noticing even slight human reactions to things, so while people from the 21st century are unlikely to react, time travelers likely will.
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Khan wasn't his fucking name, it was a self-granted title. His name was Noonien Singh, first & last, not a hyphenated family name.

Well, at least they're finally fucking admitting this is all AU.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Zipacna
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for Zipacna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can forgive them pushing the Eugenics Wars up a few decades, as it feels odd for them to have been in the 1990s in the first place. I mean why would Khan (a genetically enhanced super human with presumably Indian ancestry, even though he was played by a Mexican actor) use the Gregorian Calendar? Much prefer the idea that was floated on SCN back in the day that he was giving a date in the Indian Civil Calendar, for which 1996 equates to somewhere in "our" 2070s...and presumably Kirk & crew were too stupid to realise, which I can believe if they've also completely forgotten that they've met a descendant of Noon. That said, if they were going to do an origin story for Khan (which lets be honest, given the regular references to Augments across all versions of NuTrek is probably what they're building too) I'd rather they just adapted Greg Cox's novels and avoided the entire argument about canon and timelines.

Got to ask, but how does Spock exist in the alternate timeline? Or have they forgotten he's half human, and with an entirely different set of life experiences it is fairly unlikely that Sarek would marry a human named Amanda Grayson. Not to mention that it's unlikely humans would have developed the same way technologically without the combined influences of hundreds of Federation members on scientific advancement and starship design...so NCC-1701 probably shouldn't look exactly the same either.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I mean why would Khan use the Gregorian Calendar?
He never did. All 1990s references were made by Spock and Kirk.

Overall a very touching episode. But as Janeway once stated it's better not to overthink the time travel aspects. Like how an Earth at war with the Romulans since the 21st century and more or less a wasteland managed to build a Constitution class.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
Khan wasn't his fucking name, it was a self-granted title. His name was Noonien Singh, first & last, not a hyphenated family name.

Citation needed?

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jesus, I been knew that since the mid-80s. I know I read it somewhere...probably in some long-lost article interview. In any event, the name hs never been hyphenated, & even were I to stipulate to Khan being his given name, we all known why Noonien was used (twice).

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
Jesus, I been knew that since the mid-80s. I know I read it somewhere...probably in some long-lost article interview. In any event, the name hs never been hyphenated, & even were I to stipulate to Khan being his given name, we all known why Noonien was used (twice).

Oh, I'm with you on the hyphenation thing. I don't know why that suddenly started being a thing in SNW. But I've never heard of Khan not being his given name.

--------------------

Zipacna
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for Zipacna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:
I mean why would Khan use the Gregorian Calendar?
He never did. All 1990s references were made by Spock and Kirk.
I hate to be that guy, but...ackchyually in Khan's third line in TWoK he states that Botany Bay was launched in 1996.

quote:
Captain! Captain! Save your strength. These people have sworn to live and die at my command two hundred years before you were born. Do you mean he never told you the tale? To amuse your Captain? No? Never told you how the Enterprise picked up the Botany Bay, lost in space in the year 1996, myself and the ship's company in cryogenic freeze?
[Wink]

That said TWoK also says it's been 15-years since "Space Seed" (set in 2267), has a bottle of "old" Romulan Ale from 2283, and is usually given as set in 2285...so clearly the timeline in that movie has a few issues. [Razz]

[ June 30, 2023, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: Zipacna ]

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh. Never noticed (or forgot) that he does actually say 1996. But you can’t die on the hill of his saying so while hand-waving away that he repeatedly refers to those events as “two hundred years ago” when it’s closer to approximately 285 years and well into “nearly three hundred years ago” rounding up.

And, yeah, citation still needed on the Khan name thing…

--------------------

Shik
Member # 343

I wish I could remember where I read it. It was basically saying that his name was Noonien Singh, & that he took the title Khan as his due when he took over South Asia. It makes sense regardless, because we don't refer to such people by their first names, only their last or their titles. No one talks about Adolf or Vladimir or Zedong or Jong-Il or...well, okay, Fidel & Ché & Saddam, but you get my drift.

--------------------

Lee
Member # 393

Yeah but there’s nothing canon, right? He’s introduced as Khan Noonien Singh, and referred to ever after as Khan. And not by people who’re minded to respectfully refer to him by his title - if that what it is, which I doubt. Like, Kirk.

--------------------

Zipacna
Member # 1881

About the only reference to Khan's title/name I can find is from the Greg Cox's novels, where Khan adopts the epithet "Khan" only after he decides to do what we do every night, Pinky...try to take over the world. Until then he's Noonien Singh, or just Noon to his mother and Gary Seven. That's about as good a citation I can find, albeit one that isn't canon.

"Space Seed" isn't much help either, as he's technically introduced as just Khan and referred to as "Mr. Khan" at one point. It's only after Kirk works out who he is that Khan's full name is mentioned.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And not by people who’re minded to respectfully refer to him by his title
On one hand it seems rather rude to call him by his first name, but on the other hand they should say "The Khan" when talking about him.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps