Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Holy Flightsuits, Batman... (minor $-Drive) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Holy Flightsuits, Batman... (minor $-Drive)
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
startrek.com has just given us a few shots from the ep, and it would appear that the ever-expanding Starfleet closet has some kind of racing suit. Dandy. Just dandy.

How long before we see a "Starfleet-issue beach operations uniform?" There's no reason a commbadge can't stick to Lycra

(as an aside, Cyia Batten, an ex-Ziyal, will be guesting in this ep, too. There's a pick here.)

------------------
"...I was just up in Canada, Toronto actually. You know, they really hate you guys [Americans] up there? The funny thing is, they think you hate them back, when in fact, you just couldn't be bothered to care. Now in Ireland, it's a different story. At least we had the common decency to wait until the English invaded before we started hating them. I guess the Canadians are hating you in advance..."
-Irish Comic Ed Byrne on Canada-US relations

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They could have been custom made by Parris. He sure seems to like stuff like that. And I think you'd be surprised how many uniforms the modern day military has. And how many times it's changed over the last 10 years.

------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a USN officer I have 7 at least slightly different uniforms I could/do wear over the course of a year. 4 more variations I don't wear because I'm in Hawaii and thus don't wear winter uniforms. Some aren't very different, short vs. long sleeves, different fabrics etc. - just the sort of thing we'd nitpick with SF....

That's not even counting the at least 4 different jackets, plus a sweater - don't even get me started about the number of shoes and boots I have to buy.

The enlisted folks have about the same number of options.

In the last few years they have switched fabrics, redone the enlisted work uniform, replaced a jacket....

TK

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tell me about it. It's not as bad for me as a pilot in the Air Force since I just have 5 basic combinations. And the different jackets that go with them. And the different shoes. In fact, I'm surprised that Starfleet doesn't have a utility uniform that they wear on away missions. The ones in TWOK were pretty cool. But after that, nothing. And no camouflage! You can see red and yellow pretty well in a field of green grass.

------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Repeat after me--"Starfleet is not a military organization" -JLP, "Peak Performance"

I can't name one example where camoflage would really have been much use. Considering a hell of a lot of planetary activity seems to take place in caves then the black uniforms seem to be fine. Indeed, we did see special ops blacksuits in "Chain of Command I"

And considering the widespread use of tricorders, would camo be much use anyway? I imagine active sensor scramblers would be used in combat situations, and aside from that, who cares what color uniforms are.

My point is that all through modern trek, we've seen characters using the same uniforms for years on end for all purposes, be it away missions or off-duty farting around. It's reasonable to believe, and a lot of dialogue has supported this, that the uniforms are indeed made of superfabric that makes them comfy, practical and useful in a huge variety of situations. With the exception of dress uniforms, captain's jackets/vests, cadet unis and the black
ground combat jackets, one style-does-all has seemed to work. It's just odd to see flight suits all of a sudden. The "designed by Tommy 'Hilfiger' Paris" concept strikes me as the most reasonable, but I'd put money on the idea that they'll just show up without explanation and then disappear again.

------------------
"...I was just up in Canada, Toronto actually. You know, they really hate you guys [Americans] up there? The funny thing is, they think you hate them back, when in fact, you just couldn't be bothered to care. Now in Ireland, it's a different story. At least we had the common decency to wait until the English invaded before we started hating them. I guess the Canadians are hating you in advance..."
-Irish Comic Ed Byrne on Canada-US relations

Fructose
Member # 309

Well, I can see your arguement on the camo thing. But just as a side note, today we have all sorts of IR sensors taht can 'see' people quite clearly. But the fabric in combat fatigues are also made of IR blocking material. I would imagine that they use some sort of equivilant fabric in the future. And it's people aiming hand phasers, not sensors. If you can't see your target, you can't aim at him.

------------------

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Despite UFP propaganda to the contrary SF does seem to be a military organization by our current definition of the word. They obviously want to try to stay as far away from claiming they are as possible - but that makes sense:

Contrary to some opinions even the modern (US is my reference, but others too) military�s sole job is NOT to just fight and win wars � a huge, and perhaps larger, role is to prevent the war from happening in the first place. Military organizations have been moving more and more that direction ever since the A-bomb made a full scale war pretty much an end-of-life-as-we-know-it thing. As a sideline an increasing role has been aid missions, civil engineering missions, and even exploration (NASA astronauts). All with the ulterior motive of promoting the economic, diplomatic and physical security of the military�s �host� nation.

If this change were to be extended forward one might envision that the last thing the UFP wants SF to do is actually fight wars or battles. The entire �Mission Statement� would become centered around the idea that peace is maintained by going out in big powerful ships and telling everyone �hey we�re just dropping by and seeing if you want to be friends�. And, an important point they�d be drilling into the heads of their officers and crew is �when someone asks you if you are in the military � Say no�. UFP doesn�t want to admit that they have a �military� because that equals �wants to fight a war� in their mindset.

All IMHO�.

TK

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regardless of their properness, I think they look pretty keen.

(Don't forget their "cave explorer" uniforms which showed up in a single episode.)

I agree with Tom, by the way. It isn't that I have a problem with multiple uniform designs. It's having them pop up out of nowhere and then return to the depths from which they came that bothers me.

------------------
love's function is to fabricate unknownnness
--
E. E. Cummings
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! And party everyday.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One explanation for the multiple uniforms can simply be explained by them being more comfortable for the actors. I mean, do you think Avery Brooks and Nicole deBoer would want to wear those 3-piece uniforms out in the desert in that ep with the funky white desert-gear?

------------------
"Incest! A game the whole family can play!"
-Jonah Rapp

Pro. Portside
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 

With the replicators any want to be tailor could come up with a new uniform (ie tom p.) but maybe this one serves the same function of a flight suit of some kind?

------------------
Tribbles and warp cores dont mix

IP: Logged
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The white shoulder area is an obvious reference to the white (fire-resistant?) hoods worn by present-day drivers, but it's not on the classic color pallette of TNG/DS9 style uniforms. Nor is that blue-grey, really. This sort of uniform would jibe with the current ST:FC style which features white and blue-grey in abundance, though...

Then again, perhaps this is the uniform dictated by the race managers, and the commbadges are the only type of "personalization" allowed? After all, the people we see are supposedly from two competing teams, not from one monobloc "Voyager stable". I'd expect differences in uniforms between teams if they were allowed to manufacture their own costumes.

Timo Saloniemi

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

quote:
This sort of uniform would jibe with the current ST:FC style which features white and blue-grey in abundance

I don't recall much, if any, white or blue/grey in FC. Unless you count the EVA suits.

Well, I guess the Grey shoulders are sort of Blue/Grey.

------------------
"...Well, we're about to witness All-in Wrestling, brought to you tonight, ladies and gentlemen, by the makers of Scum�, the world's first combined hair oil, foot ointment, and salad dressing; and by the makers of Titan�, the novelty nuclear missile. You never know when it'll go off!"
- Monty Python, Live at the Hollywood Bowl.
*ahem*

[This message has been edited by Ultra Magnus (edited October 16, 2000).]

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OhmygodTimoerred!!!

I think he was referring to the ST:Insurrection dress uniforms that reappeared in Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges.

Phew.

------------------
Remember December '59
The howling wind and the driving rain,
Remember the gallant men who drowned
On the lifeboat, Mona was her name.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That suits looks remarkably like the TMP dress uniform!
Anyway, I think Torres looks good in it..

------------------
"Human race in tha house!" KoRn & Kittie, This Town
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oops, it seems somebody erred into thinking that *I* could err!

You see, I normally refer to uniforms as "families", according to the medium where they were first introduced. "Late TNG uniforms" is what covers TNG season 3 duty "A", dress and flag uniforms, DS9 and Voyager duty "B" uniforms and spacesuits, and other chronologically associated stuff. "ST2 uniforms" is what covers all the stuff in the TOS movies after TMP.
And "FC uniforms" is the duty and flag uniforms introduced in FC, plus the dress uniform of "Insurrection", plus any designs possibly introduced back on Earth in the final Voyager episodes, or in future TNG movies, etc. until we get a whole new family of uniforms (say, in the fifth TV spinoff).

So there!

Timo Saloniemi

(No, frankly, this *is* what I meant. Just check my earlier "uniform" posts to confirm the terminology. :-P)

(And yes, those do look like the TMP flag dress design. )

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps