Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Nemesis - A Second Viewing ($$$) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Nemesis - A Second Viewing ($$$)
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And the soundtrack IMHO was one of the best in any Trek movie

Hang on. This movie had a soundtrack? I must have missed it.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps you should check your hearing!!

Everyone I have talked to loved the soundtrack. Hang on, I think I know what's going on. Possibly TPTB released a crappy version of Nemesis for the U.S. audiences: without soundtrack, plot, motive, etc.
I suppose THAT'S the REAL reason why Nemesis started so much later here - they had to re-insert all the positive elements for us over here who go to a movie open-minded!!

(Sorry for my sarcasm, but I just feel really angry when reading stupid comments like the one from the last post!)

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Powers:
What about the connection to Nemesis? It had a plot, motives and character. I just fail to see the point you're trying to make.

It seems like the writers were like Billy Crystal as the movie exec in "The Critic"--"Plot. What a funny word. PLOT. Plotplotplotplotplotplotplotplot. Nope, never heard of it." Motive? Please. "I'm angry that humnaity never rescued me! They didn't know I existed, but they still should've saved me! Boohoo!" Character? I'm sorry, but if something has turned Picard from being a paragon of composure to one of the two yahoos down at Kill 'N' Spill doing donuts with their F150s in the middle of the rival high school football field, then dammit, that should be addressed. None of this magic shit.

No. This movie was a framing member, that's all. The supposedly "logical jumps" were in fact leaps of faith & fancy bordering on Indy at the lion's head.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know why everyone seems to be bashing the writing. Writing is not the reason it didn't do so well here in the US. It was the editing which took out the background info for the movie in favor for the action sequences. A bad release date also factored in seeing as The Two Towers opened up half a week later and took over the box office. If it had been released on the original date of around Thanksgiving, it would have done a little better. I think Logan did a wonderful job as a writer. Baird also did well as a director, but did a poor job at editing (along with the other regular editors). I'm just glad the actors themselves enjoyed the movie and the work that went behind in creating it. I enjoyed the movie for it's entertainment value.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Magnus:
Shithead.

THANK YOU FOR CONTRIBUTING TO THE THREAD, PLEASE MAKE MORE WITTY COMMENTS, YOU ARE SO FUNNY AND POPULAR! OMG!
Wes
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sorry, double post.

[ January 19, 2003, 21:45: Message edited by: Proteus ]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Proteus: Stop. Now.
Wes
Member # 212

quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
Proteus: Stop. Now.

He's the one that says "shithead" and you tell me to stop? Okay.
Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Proteus: How dare you get mad at him calling you a shithead! I think you'd better ban 'im TSN.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"He's the one that says 'shithead' and you tell me to stop? Okay."

Well, you just said "shithead", too. And now, so did I. You, however, are the one who's being a shithead, and therefore, yes, I tell you to stop.

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back to the topic.

@Dat: Thanks. At least one sensible and open-minded cinemagoer.

And if anyone critisizes Picard's behavior in Nemesis as being atypical - well what about First Contact? That movie was received oh so well, but where is the difference between FC and Nemesis?

Picard shooting Reman thugs is atypical behavior!
Picard shooting Borg the same way is typical behavior?? WTF?

Come on, if you are biased against Nemesis for no real reason then at least be honest enough to admit to it!

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a slight difference. Picard had a personal vendetta with the Borg, which was strong enough to drive even our beloved paragon of composure to hateful action sequences. That was part of the PLOT. It was his MOTIVATION. See? Integral to the story = much better film.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Dat in that, yes, the editing left large chunks of gappiness. This is why directors, writers, & editors always need to work together.

A friend of mine is working ona 45-minute screenplay for class & she's having a hard time with it. I told her to go see "Nemesis" even though she's not a Trek fan at all. She did. She said it was awful. Upon that statement, I mentioned that the original filmed script was 3 hours long & that there was nothing that could be edited out that wouldn't leave the movie in shredded tatters. From what I understand, Logan wrote a tight-assed (in the good sense) script, buggy chase not withstanding. But the problem was that it was SO tight that any editing made us go "HUH?"

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, I haven't been any more impressed with the scenes I've heard about which were cut than the ones left in.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps