Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Space, the colorful frontier (Page 2)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Space, the colorful frontier
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
C'Mon.
The Shadow planet had a creepy yellow one, Mimbar's backdrop was purple...every race got their own color coordinated nebula except Earth and that's only because we KNOW what our space is supposed to look like.

It's also good to know that hyperspace consists of choppy pixels from every deleted 3-D mesh ever made.
Kinda a computer animation afterlife in glowy red.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i thought i saw Starscream's ghost there too

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"If you're in space, with no light polution, aren't you going to see the colourful stuff from extreme distances?"

But, most of the time, they're so far away that they're still just little colored spots mixed in among the stars. They may be easier to see, but they aren't going to fill in your whole background unless you get pretty close to one.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well at least B5 didn't reuse the Mutara Nebula ad nauseum! [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If they had the file....

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
It's also good to know that hyperspace consists of choppy pixels from every deleted 3-D mesh ever made.

Making fun of ten year old CGI done on a low budget?

Tough man.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Making fun of it for the time.

They couldve come up with something better looking for an effect that was shown almost every week....and yes, they could have on their budget.

Even years later, on Crusade, they had to keep using it because it was the standard for what hyperspace was supposed to look like.

They were locked into a bad effect.

By contrast, I dont make fun of Dr. Who's effects because they were actually innovative for their time and on their shoestring budget (except for the ski-mask Cybermen: that was just silly).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. Hyperspace never really looked that bad to me, but horses for courses.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Irony: Didn't Crusade have a different hyperspace effect, leading to much muted gnashing of teeth at rasf.b5.moderated? It had a different jump point effect, to be sure. Maybe the new hyperspace look was introduced in Legends of the Rangers.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I have several of the Crusade episodes on tape and it's the same effect.

I skipped LOTR (bad acronym, that) after I caught the scene where the gunner is "punching and kicking" to fire the ship's weapons.
It looked like a Tae-Bo commercial.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

It is a bad acronym. I just had to review a game called "Lords Of The Realm" for PC Format. And it was shit. Really, really shit. Awfully, truelly, shit.

(This isn't actually relevent, but I wanted to mention that I do actually now have work. Freelance, part-time work, but still work. Woo!)

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I just had to review a game called 'Lords Of The Realm' for PC Format."

!!

And how come you aren't on ICQ right now, anyway?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Because I only wanted to come on for 5 minutes. If I went on ICQ, I'd end up talking, and not going to bed.

Which is pretty much what has happened anyway. Damnit! Why can't I sleep at the same time as normal people.

I'm going to attempt to do so now. Night.

--------------------

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nobody ICQs me ever. So count your luck, you bright shiny stars of sexmachines.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Some people are noticibly not around for ICQing, I note.

Well, often me. But at the moment, others.

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps