Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Space, the colorful frontier (Page 7)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Space, the colorful frontier
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dont make me start a thread on the timeline of Jean Grey/Phionex.

My ears bleed from the very thought.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those ain't the only body parts that are gonna bleed if you do that.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
In the animated series, Dick does become Nightwing and Tim gets the cool new Robin costume and the extending metal staff.

Actually, Dick's costume in the Animated Series was much closer to the revised comic design that Cartoon-Tim's. Dick's matched the colour scheme of the new design, whereas Tim's went away from it (with the black sleeves, and so forth). Robin's costume in Teen Titans is closer to the revised comic design (and the animated Dick's design).

quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
Three Robins? Why couldn't they get their own names/costumes?

It's part of Batman's quirky character. Although the man has basically abandoned any attempts at a normal life in order to make sure that what happened to him doesn't happen to anyone else, there's also a recurring idea of him creating a "new" family, to replace the one he lost. That's why he keeps getting these kids to be his sidekicks, despite all the "I work alone" protestations.

So, when the first Robin (Dick Grayson) became sick of being Batman's sidekick and left to become his own hero (Nightwing), a void was created. One which Batman filled by getting a new Robin (Jason Todd) to replace the old. His reason for wearing the old costume, I'm not sure about, but it could have been respect, or just some sort of idea at continuity (ie, Batman's partner was always called Robin) Todd was a bit kerazy and on the edge though. And he died. Batman started to go insane with guilt. He got all dark. So...along comes Robin #3...

Tim is the most balanced of the three. Dick had Bruce's obsessive edge, but can also be laid back and have fun with it. Tim is like that, but even more so. He is rational about everything, and acknowledges that "he probably won't be doing this forever". Whereas if Bruce died, there's a fair chance that Dick would take over the mantle of Batman (and, indeed, has before).

I'm not sure whether Tim demanded that the costume be modified. Good thing he did though, since it actually made the rather silly original costume look half-way decent.

I never read Teen Titans, but the animated series reminds me a lot of Young Justice. Even the portrayal of Robin in it reminds me a fair bit of Tim's Robin from that series (although Tim was always a bit more "dark n moody" in Young Justice than he was in his own comic).

Tim is also only 5' 1" tall. He is a tiny man.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking at it, Robin really did have the worst "iconic" superhero costume of all time. Look at it:
 -
And you can't even blame it on "they designed it way back in the 40s, since it was still in use right up until the end of the 80s. Dick was in his twenties when he wore it! He had no shame.

So, when Tim took over, it was replaced with this:
 -
Much nicer, eh? He's finally covered up his legs (although this image is missing the split toe boots, which shows the slightly Asian influence this costume has). Also, making the cape's outside black actually makes it look better. Black and yellow: good. Yellow only: Bad.

And don't think that Dick never had costume problems when he became Nightwing. Look at this. Seriously, look.
 -
I suppose you can't expect them to be incredible martial artists with uncanny detective powers, AND also have good costume design skills. Worse yet, he eventually grew a mullet. An honest to god mullet.

Thankfully, along came the 90s, and the "make everything black" phase. So we get the rather better looking:
 -
And that concludes the story. Hopefully, we have all learnt that hanging around with a man who dresses like a bat will fuck up your own sense of fashion. Mark my words. Tim may be fastidious about his hair gel now, but give it a few years and he'll have added a suit jacket to his costume. With rolled up sleaves.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the only thing really wrong with that Nightwing costume is the ginormous '70s collar. Lose that (including the exposed chest), and it wouldn't be so bad.
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a middle Nightwing costume where the bodysuit is blue and a yellow band is where the blue is on the new one. Also, it is not all shaped all spikey, also, it was in use during Knightfall, also, comic books are like, for the nerds.

TERRIBLES!!

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seriously doubt that after having left Bruce over their personality clashes Dick would have become Batman when Bruce retired.

Looking at Batman Beyond, it's my understanding that Dick was killed somehow, but even still. Had he lived, he probably would have [at most] incorporated the technology of the new Batman suit into his Nightwing persona. Dick seemed to be barely willing to rejoin Bruce and co. [at the time Batgirl and Tim] in the animated series.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe Liam said that Tim would take over the Batman mantle.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Nightwing is still alive in Batman: Beyond, I think. At the very least, he's mentioned as being alive in the "Return of the Joker" movie.

And no, I said that Tim would never take over the Batman mantle. He acknowledges that he "won't be doing this sort of thing forever". Whereas Dick has largely made up with Bruce. Although he has largely stepped out of Bruce's shadow and become his own man (in the comics, at least. I don't think that Nightwing has a huge amount of real-world penetration), I can still see him becoming Batman at a future point. Especially if Bruce died.

I forgot the Nightfall costume. It wasn't bad. I just like the blue shoulder strips on the current one. Especially how they carry on down to the gloves. True, it's the typical "BLACK IS COOL!" thing, but the blue makes it interesting. And the double stick weapons are quite cool.

Thank god I've done that dissertation.

--------------------

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The current black-with-blue-mantle design was used when nightwing appeared in Teen Titans too... and in "Batman and Robin" , the Robin costume was a red-and-black variant of it, so the Nightwing retroactively influenced a Robin getup, in a way

BTW, in the Kingdom Come future scenario (which is pretty accurate to where many of the series evolve towards).. the fortyish Dick Grayson wouldnt take on the mantle of Batman either, he stopped being Nightwing, though.. after Tim bought the farm and the Robin name was open again, he snatched it back up and became and older, seasoned crimefighter Robin.. he had a yellow chest insignia, a stylized bird head rather than the 'R', black cape & leggings, a black cowl that covered his head and face (like Batman's) and a red chestpiece

much more respectable than the fortyish Dick Grayson that was Robin in the pre-Crisis Earth-2 stories, he had a costume that was a streamlined version of the original (without the belt and stuff).. Seeing a fortyish guy in that much red yellow and puke green must do numbers on alternate Earth villians.

in other alt futures, there was Carrie Kelly, the cute girl Robin from Frank Miller's Dark Knight.. the original costume is much more suited for a girl, she added cyberpunk goggles and looked cool as i recall

oh, and in the Kingdom Come future, Nightwing and Starfire's daughter is named Nightstar i believe. heh.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh oh! Tim's tenure as Robin is over soon! (For however long it is until he is reinstated in comicbookcontinuitypreservationfortheheartstrengthofthefatsoponytailed) and a girl is about to take over.

I hear tell on the websites. So they say.

The newest Robin comic has his dad come in and discover what he's been up to, aside from the precocious masturbation, and threaten Bruce Wayne with a handgun loaded with handgun bullets.

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HANDGUN BULLETSNO!!1! !

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

capped
Member # 709

quote:
Ass-facedly Double posted by MirrorCaptainMike:
QUOTEREPLY!!1! !

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Out of all superheroes, my hairstyle is more like Tim Drake's than any other. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

--------------------

Member # 239

More like THE RAWHID KID (Courtesy of Marvel), I would say!
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps