Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Ships of the Line Wall Calendar, Take II (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Ships of the Line Wall Calendar, Take II
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since the first post kind of changed topic to the TMP Special edition, and that it's now six pages long, I decided to create a new topic.

Anyway, I bought the calendar last night, & wanted to report on some goodies I don't think anyone else found. So...

-The NCC-1000, obviously. The ship (and the space station) doesn't look as bad as people have been saying. It's actually quite neat. Too bad that the artist didn't see fit to actually name the thing.

-In August's entry, the war scene above Organia contains the Enterprise, the Lexington, and three Klingon ships. The surprise here? One of the ships is actually the unused Klingon Battlecruiser design from "Unexpected" (remember, they used a K'T'Inga because Bonchune didn't have the real ship ready in time?) It's on the right-hand side of the pic, and unfurtunately a bit of the starboard side is cut off, but it's mostly viewable as a top-view. A D-6, anyone?

-Finally, in October's entry, we see the TOS Ent being converted into the TMP Ent. Right above the ship, we see another vessel tugging one of the Ent's new nacelles. It's sort of a four-nacelled version of the Oberth, only where the underslung pod would be, is the Ent's nacelle.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scans...?

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there even a CGI version of the Oberth? I wonder if we will ever see a Sphinx version of the Workbee.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The NCC-1000, obviously. The ship (and the space station) doesn't look as bad as people have been saying. It's actually quite neat. Too bad that the artist didn't see fit to actually name the thing.
She doesn't have to - we all know this is the Horizon anyway...

The four-nacelled Oberth sounds as if somebody's paying homage (at the very least) to the Todega tug of, was it Jackill's?

Gotta see that Klingon ship close up. D6? D4? D8?

Timo Saloniemi

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although I have a scanner (but it's not hooked up), I figured I'd be nice & take a few pics with my digital camera in the meantime. They're not the greatest shots, as a scan would do much better, but I know how impatient us Flare-ites are.

Sorry about the crease with the NCC-1000.

http://flareupload.pleh.net/uploads/341/NCC-1000a.jpg

http://flareupload.pleh.net/uploads/341/NCC-1000b.jpg

http://flareupload.pleh.net/uploads/341/NCC-1000c.jpg

http://flareupload.pleh.net/uploads/341/D6.jpg

http://flareupload.pleh.net/uploads/341/Oberthtug.jpg

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like the Odanta class sold through Starshipmodeler.com.
I dont care for that space station though- the windows look uneven and too large for the design.

I dig that Oberth variant- it seems the pylons are graspers of some kind- mabye the Oberth's pod is swappable after all.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The sad thing is, NCC-1000 does look better than NX-01 (at least it doesn't look like clone of Akira with bottom chopped off...

And Jason, judging from size of the nacelle this Oberth-tug is much more smaller than actual Oberth. But yeah, the space station looks weird - kinda like giant space moth-repellent [Smile]

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, the oberth-tug, and I�m going with your idea here Jason, kind of reminds me of that weird looking ship inside spacedock. Remember the one? Blueish cargo-carrier looking thing? I always thought that the ship had an oberth-looking saucer. Could the artist for this calender have been that smart?

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's what I was thinking, actually.
Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sort of like NCC-1000. Not as nice as the original E but I still like it.

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it possible the name is on the other side? It doesn't look like an 0 at the end, but its hard to tell.
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heck, from this angle, it's not even clear whether this is NCC-1000 or something like NCC-1086. Which is good for those who want to add this design to a fandom timeline that already features a NCC-1000 of a different design...

Looks like this is the exact Constitution saucer - same shape, diameter, judging by rim detail and bridge relative size - with add-ons and different engines, rather than just a generally similar hull.

It's growing on me, definitely. (AAAGGGHH! Get it off! Get it off!)

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only similarities between that defected Oberth and the Cargo ship from spacedock is the dome and the small nacelles placed at the front. It has an underslung carriage - and the nacelles are different.
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Might be a new build saucer. The rim windows are different so that at least would have had to be rebuilt. It looks like the rim is less tapered anyway. It also looks like its got a different deflector grid (more refit like)
MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I'm tired of ships that look like someone's stuffed a secondary hull into the saucer like a pita bread. Weak!

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps