Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Ships of the Line Wall Calendar, Take II (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Ships of the Line Wall Calendar, Take II
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want pics of what you are all seeing in the calendar!!!

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I've seen is whats been posted here.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vice-Admiral Michael T. Colorge:
I want pics of what you are all seeing in the calendar!!!

Then sell one of your BMWs and go and buy it.

quote:
Originally posted by Dat:
And the images were multiple TOS shuttles were used, they bear the wrong markings. They all have NCC-1701/2 Galileo. So the Galileo was shuttle 2 and the Enterprise had multiple shuttle 2s all with the same name.

Well, the Enterprise had at least two Galileo's, so it's possible that the painting team really was that stupid and labelled all their shuttles "Galileo". Contracter's, I'll bet.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Boh:
On the hand image they may have forgotten the ship was labled Defiant.

Must be a silly SOTL tradition... every year there seems to be a ship with lazy re-naming work.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay kiddies- I got my calander today and can go down the whole strange mess with ya (scans to be posted this weeekend if anyone wants to host them-Starship Freak did last year, but he was lost returning some ring to Moordor or something so...)

****SPOILERS***

Cover: Pretty nice shot of Enterprise arriving at a K-7 type station (though the station is a hell of a lot larger that K-7 was).
There are three TOS era Workbees sheparding the ship in.
My gripe is that there are three DY-100 ships cluttering up the nice piece. Should these still be in service at all in TOS? I doubt it.

January: The Enterprise is flanking the giant (goofy) Feasears starship/planet/whatever.
The piece looks nice because of the lighting of the Feaseraus' sphere things on the Enterprise.
The TOS model they're using has two small red lights on either side of the bridge dome that I dont think are accurate- I could easily be wrong on this though as TOS is not my forte'.
The same CGI model is used for all the TOS ships in the calander- even the Constelation which should have a diffrent shaped bridge because the TOS prop guys used a inaccurate AMT model for that ship instead of damaging the big shooting model.

Febuary: TOS Romulan Bird of Prey's floating over what looks like the Romulan capital (complete with senate building at the center).
Looks good to me except that the capital on on the water in TNG/Nemisis, and here it rests on a grassy plain on one side- this could just be a matter of a new perspective for us or the capital might undergo flooding later or whatever, so i'm not really concerned this is an error. The RBOP's look nice with their accurate blue nacelle caps, but the city looks lifeless- no people visible at all and various sized statuary make the city seem about 50' across.

March: Apollo's hand grabs the Enterprise. This is one of my least favorite TOS episodes, and the calander nicely changes the lame TOS effect of the "hand" into a energy construct instead of some actor's hand matted in. Good details on the Enterprise's impulse engines and neck.

April: This is the one showcasing the "NCC-1000" and yes, the registry is very visible, but no- there is no ship's name.
The ship is allright close up- the bridge is a nice mod- it has a squared-off section at the rear like the Refit. Strange things on this ship are that the black markings at the saucer's rim near the running lights are shown to be raised, segmented strips and that the ship has no obvious impulse engines. They could be on the ventral side somehow though...
The only issue I have with the design is the nacelles: they look like hot dogs: they thicken at their center and thin out towards the front and rear.
The station in the piece really distracts- it looks like they went out of their way to make a TOS version of the Particle Fountain from TNG.
The piece is mich nicer with the station cropped out.

May: This month depicts the M-5 directed destruction of a few TOS ships. It looks fantastic with one exception- there are giant girders everywhere! It looks like Enterprise destroyed a shipyard with a bunch of ships in port.
Bueatiful damage to the Lexington (missing a third of her saucer and a nacelle!), the Hood (NCC-1703) is missing half a nacelle and a chunk o' saucer and had lovely burning phaser-burned trenches. A third connie is not too damaged in the background- there are several shuttles moving from the viewer's perspectibe towards the damaged ships so this might represent an after-episode cleanup operation.
There look to be a severed Oberth nacelle in with the debris, but I'm ignoring that because it could not possibly be there...

June: the TOS Enterprise arrived in the TMP drydock- it's titled "Last flight of Galielo".
The piece looks nice and has a great shot of the Enterprise's shuttlebay interior. My only gripe is that there are rows of shuttlepods lined up for some reason and they all look mis-scaled.
That could just be a matter of depth perception in space (making excuse here) but some more pods farther away from the viewer's POV would have established their dinkiness nicely.

Centerfold: "Repairs at the Rim of Starlight" depicts repair work to the Enterprise's nacelle at some spacebound faciliy. it's a nice image showing guys in TOS spacesuits interacting with the Galielo shuttles (TWO of them!) which is hauling a basketload of (presumably) parts.

July: an artsy shot of the shuttle McAuliffe (from the Farragut) flying over some water in a canyon. Pretty boring, really,- not the worst in the calander, nor the best.

August: Enterprise and Lexington square off at insanely close range over some planet with two K'Tingas and some strange klingon ship that looks like it was never finished being built.
All the klingon ships look like they are FAR more advanced than their TOS opponents.
Gripes- the closest K'Tinga shows a random scribbling all over it's hull that is probably supposed to make it look more detailed but it looks like ass- on the command pod in particular) and the Enterprise and Lexington are firing photon torpedos at ships less than 100 meters away, while in low orbit of a planet.
Get out the anti-radiation shots, McCoy!

September: shows the Planetkiller charing the saucer on the Constelation. I like this image a lot, though TOS purists will find fault with the subtle aztec patten visible on the Constelation's saucer where the beam illuminates it. Looks cool to me though- we never see a TOS ship in bright light and Doomsday Machine is my favorite TOS episode so...

October: This is the most visually moving image in the calander- the refitting of the TOS Connie into the Refit of the TMP era. Workbees, cargo trains, shuttlepods and shuttlecraft all flit about the ship as a (sorta) Oberth like ship hauls in a Refit nacelle. The orbital office complex is nicely shown in the far distance.
I have two gripes with this image: FIrstly, it shows the implausibility that the TOS and TMP Enterprises could be the same ship- it's obvious they are replacing everything a piece at a time. Secondly, the nacelle pylon is located waaaay too far forward on the secondary hull- this bugs me but your mileage may vary.

November: Where to even begin? It's a good execution of a horribly bad idea. The TOS Enterprise is (again) fighting a TMP-era K'Tinga but the suacer is detached from the secondary hull and both sctions are firing on the K'Tinga! The saucer is firing it's typical blue phasers at the K'Tinga's command pod and the secondary hull is firing torpedos!
...the fuck?!?
How can the secondary hull...torpedos..
The Enterprise's saucer and secondary hull have several chunks shot out of them, and the interiors are nicely visible, but that's all I can say for this month- even the K'Tinga is inaccurate.
Meh.

December: This is a painting by John eaves, and while not as senses-addling as November's image, it looks pretty amaturish compared with the execution of the others- it looks like a painting that would grace a captain's ready room- not meant to be realistic at all with it's SEVEN WORLDS crammed in next to the Enterprise.

Still, I'd say that ten out of thirteen images are nice in this calander and I'm not disapointed at all.
A few of these might make nice posters all by themselves, really.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Jason, I have returned from the dark throne, in the land of Mordor where the shadows are...

I can host them, no problem, pm me and I�ll give you an email-adress.

As to the DY-100:s, they could be the unmanned freighters of the Woden-kind actually, so, why not?

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
August: Enterprise and Lexington square off at insanely close range over some planet with two K'Tingas and some strange klingon ship that looks like it was never finished being built.

I forget where I read this since I haven't seen the calendar myself, but someone pointed out that the "strange" ship is the Klingon cruiser Eaves designed for ENT's "Unexpected", but they couldn't use it because they ran out of time or budget or something.

B.J.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://flare.solareclipse.net/ultimatebb.php/topic/3/1782.html#000000
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
November: Where to even begin? It's a good execution of a horribly bad idea. The TOS Enterprise is (again) fighting a TMP-era K'Tinga but the suacer is detached from the secondary hull and both sctions are firing on the K'Tinga! The saucer is firing it's typical blue phasers at the K'Tinga's command pod and the secondary hull is firing torpedos!
...the fuck?!?
How can the secondary hull...torpedos..
The Enterprise's saucer and secondary hull have several chunks shot out of them, and the interiors are nicely visible, but that's all I can say for this month- even the K'Tinga is inaccurate.
Meh.

So I'm not the only one who hates it.

You know I wished they did have some of these pics converted to posters since there's so much detail in them.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by B.J.:
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:

I forget where I read this since I haven't seen the calendar myself, but someone pointed out that the "strange" ship is the Klingon cruiser Eaves designed for ENT's "Unexpected", but they couldn't use it because they ran out of time or budget or something.

B.J.

The command pod is pretty cool- it's the rest of the ship that looks like it's still being built- lots of visible support structures and what look like pulley's and cables holding the boom straight.

Starship Freak, I'll be sending you those files tomorrow (I forgot the calander at home today).
Welcome back from Mordor. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jason Abbadon:

Hey, today is October 22nd, and we haven't seen those pics yet... Any chance you could get those files to Starship Freak so we can all stare in amazement at the scans?

--------------------
Sheridan: "Well, as answers go, short, to the point, utterly useless and totally consistant with what I've come to expect from a Vorlon..."
Kosh: "Good."
Sheridan: "I REALLY hate it when you do that..."

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I'm kinda delayed on that- I did indeed scan everything but it got backed up onto CD (due to re-installing stuff at work) and between work nad this hurricane shutting us down tomorrow night, I have not gotten back to them.

It'll happen though.....soon! Really! Swear!

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, there's pics from the calendar on SF's site already. Look in the Connie, Klingon, and Romulan sections. Hunt around a bit for the rest.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SF?

--------------------
Sheridan: "Well, as answers go, short, to the point, utterly useless and totally consistant with what I've come to expect from a Vorlon..."
Sheridan: "I REALLY hate it when you do that..."

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starship Freak.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps