Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Star Trek: The Next Regeneration (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Star Trek: The Next Regeneration
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently Paramount commissioned a little test project to test the feasibility of updating the visual effects of TOS for the early 21st century... I'm not sure if I'd like to see this as an actual production � the 60's effects certainly have their charm � but HOT DAMN, THAT LOOKS AWESOME!

Thoughts?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To provide the obligatory needle for your balloon, I'm sure that we've talked about this before (though I don't remember if there was actual video the last time around), but my first attempts at searching don't seem to turn anything up.

On edit: Aha, I think.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I remember that people have discussed the possibility before (here as well, and more recently than 1999, which was before my time here)... I just wasn't aware that they'd actually gone and DONE it. And I'd certainly never seen the actual footage.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait! Is that even from Paramount? I don't see anything in the credits that indicate it is. Yet the guy who did this sure did his homework though, especially on the Constellation. I only regrent that there weren't more shots of the Planet Killer or even a scene where the ships fight it.
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I remember talking about this before, because I remember making a comment that Paramount should focus more on making ENTERPRISE a better show instead of tweaking an old show that doesn't need to be tweaked.

That said, I agree that the effects look good. However, didn't the guys who made Red Dwarf decide to go back & fix their effects, to lukewarm response?

Unless there were really cool space battles reminiscent of DS9 (which I don't recall TOS ever having), there's really no reason to do this.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

quote:
Unless there were really cool space battles reminiscent of DS9 (which I don't recall TOS ever having), there's really no reason to do this.
Well, there's obviously some kick-ass action in "The Doomsday Machine" (which is the linked clip, for those who haven't looked yet). "The Ultimate Computer" could be jazzed up. "Balance of Terror," "Errand of Mercy," "The Enterprise Incident," among others... And that's just the space battles. They could do other cool effects like the flying brain parasites or the giant space amoeba, too.

Hell, maybe they could've CGI'd in some ridged foreheads for all the Klingons. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But then that would invalidate "Trials and Tribble-ations"...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was rather impressed with the shot where Kirk walks infront of the viewscreen, but I didn't like that it showed the screen as a flat image rather than giving it depth.
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
"The Ultimate Computer" could be jazzed up.
That's a perfect example. However, they would almost definitely not do what I would like. Lemme explain...

Question: Why is every other Federation starship in TOS (besides the Constellation) represented by stock footage of the Enterprise? Because TPTB either didn't have the money or the desire to build new models to represent and actual "Star Fleet" made up of ship designs other than the Constitution class.

Now, with updating the FX for "The Ultimate Computer," you could have three totally different vessels representing the three Connies in that ep. (And a new freighter design to represent the Woden/Botany Bay model) Would we all love that? YES!!! ('cause it's Paramount, so it's canon, so to speak). Would that be what they'd do? Probably not. They'd just have the same exact scenes, but in CGI. Big deal.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This has definately been discussed before - I've seen this before and I usually get all my stuff through here.

I think it looks really good. The planet killer was actually scary when it first appeared on screen and turned towards the Enterprise.

They definately have to keep the original feel - but just make it less... crappy. [Smile]

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say this is the real deal commissioned by Paramount as it's done by Daren Dochterman or however you spell his hame.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember seeing this back in '03. I was mildly impressed, but I remember thinking it still needed work. After the job they did on TMP, I'd love to see what Foundation could do to TOS. Digitally match the film grain, proper colour filters, etc.

And give the bloody Constellation a different registry! I'll sacrifice continuity for consistency. Damned Desilu visual effects department couldn't spring for a second model kit... *grumble* I'd be happy with 1717, or 1710. Or heck. Do a little bit of redubbing, the reverse of TNG's "The Battle", and make her the Constitution -- 1700!

Now where'd I put my Nomex long johns...?

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:

One potential space battle was in "Errand of Mercy" between Starfleet and the Klingons - although each squared up against each other - neither could fire a weapon.
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
That said, I agree that the effects look good. However, didn't the guys who made Red Dwarf decide to go back & fix their effects, to lukewarm response?

Yeah, although that was in part due to the somewhat less than convincing nature of mid-90s CGI (at least on Red Dwarf's budget) compared to the original model shots. They also went back and changed some of the dialogue, as well as the design of the ship. All the DVD releases are of the original version AFAIK, although series VIII uses the CGI version of the Dwarf.
Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the new CG would be interesting to see in Balance Of Terror ..

Dunno if Paramount would invest the $$ tho' in something like this.. TOS in syndication is still popular in its current form; why fix something that isn't broken..

Could it bring some Trek fan back to rehash the old ones again? Maybe.. I still record them and watch them daily .. but i would certainly love to see them 'refurbished'.

--------------------
o::{====> Alshrim Dax <====}::o

~ Cry Havoc - and let slip the dogs of war!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps