Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Why are we so mad keen on Trek ships? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Why are we so mad keen on Trek ships?
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I've even seen nonsense declaring that a Star Destroyer can, in fact, destroy a star."

In much the same way, I expect, as a theoretical "star cruiser" can cruise a star. Or a theoretical "star frigate" can do to stars whatever it is that frigates do.

"Names like Avarice, Corruptor, Virulence, Malice, Assassin..."

They really should have stuck with the probate theme they began with "Executor". They could have had "Administrator", "Inheritor", "Testator"...

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
In much the same way, I expect, as a theoretical "star cruiser" can cruise a star. Or a theoretical "star frigate" can do to stars whatever it is that frigates do.
They can frig it, presumably.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And if it's a lot of stars, does it become a cluster frig?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ooooh, messy.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
They really should have stuck with the probate theme they began with "Executor". They could have had "Administrator", "Inheritor", "Testator"...

Don't forget Contestor...crewed solely by people who think they deserve a better posting.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Lurker Emeritus
Member # 1888

- posted      Profile for Lurker Emeritus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh god what has happened to my poor innocent little thread?

This experiment has gone out of control. I'm hitting the big red button!

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you do that, I'll blow up the ship...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As long as he doesn't touch the Mysterious Red Button, we're OK.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
As long as he doesn't touch the Mysterious Red Button, we're OK.

Ooh... Whatsit do?

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Irishman
Member # 1188

- posted      Profile for Irishman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's several things:

Rules, specifically laid out by Matt Jefferies and Gene Roddenberry.

Also, the fact that the ships from Trek are by and large miniscule compared to Star Wars capital ships makes it easier to go crazy on the Trek ones. When was the last time you saw a fan-produced set of deck plans for a Star Destroyer?

Finally, it's our galaxy, our future. We can use our imaginations to connect the ever-changing world of today with the future world of Trek. It's easier to invest onesself in a world one knows.

--------------------
This is just fun...it's not life...keep this in mind and we'll all enjoy it much more

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh huh... I swear to god if someone goes and actually builds the USS Enterprise, I'll kill him, his family, and his little dog too...

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well didn't that guy build a space plane and call the VSS Enterprise?
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wank.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh what is with you and that word?
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

I calls 'em like I sees 'em.

--Jonah

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps