Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Why are we so mad keen on Trek ships? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Why are we so mad keen on Trek ships?
HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Treknophile:
As I see it, Star Trek has (to date) created the most complete and internally self-consistant technological base/worlds/society seen in fiction. A true fan can not only immerse himself (through the power of suspended dis-belief), he can go a step farther and create new works within this framework called the Star Trek Universe, and if he was paying attention it will ring true.

I think the being mad keen on Trek ships is a direct offshoot of this very point.

Star Trek was the first series to create a cohesive universe. No other show or series up to the point of Star Trek created such a universe that made sense, was consistent and worked well with the rest of the whole. Most other series were set on present-day earth and the few science fiction series (that weren't anthologies) didn't pay attention to the details for a back-story or a rest of the universe (Lost in Space, for example).

TOS was the first series to inspire imagination along the lines of "I wonder what the rest of their universe is like. Surely there must be other star ships, etc..."

I was drawing other Star Trek ships besides the Enterprise when I was a kid. At that time I only had TOS and the first two movies to go by.

STII was the first Star Trek to introduce a new design. After that, I came to expect a new designed starship with each movie (Grissom, Excelsior, etc...)

Throw in the Internet in the late 90s and the explosion of art and CGI software now available and it's no wonder we've reached this point where we're all so gaga over cool starships. Technology has finally reached a point where we can draw and design cool starships with ease, and then spread those designs all over the world.

Nothing exists in a vacuum. Our lust for sexy ships is a result of modern media, the internet, advanced affordable computers and software and our desire to fill in the tapestry of the Star Trek universe.

Lurker Emeritus
Member # 1888

- posted      Profile for Lurker Emeritus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting answers and ideas. Cheers. I am a little bit more enlightened [Wink]
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I swear, I feel like you're studying us under a microscope... Nagillum? Is that you?

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Lurker Emeritus
Member # 1888

- posted      Profile for Lurker Emeritus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am preparing my next question which will be in the form of an experiment. This experiment shouldn't take more than a third of the forum members. Maybe half [Wink]
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay as long as none of the main characters are killed. [Wink]
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lurker Emeritus:
Why is it that Star Trek appears to generate twice the interest of it's next nearest rival among individuals whom I shall loosely term sci-fi-ship-spotting-anoraks?

I think it is because Trek ships actually LOOK and FEEL like they could be real ships that one could board and touch and travel and explore in!

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lurker Emeritus:
What is it about Trek ships, designs, registry numbers, histories and so on that so enthralls and occupies the spare time of your average Trekkie?

Maybe it's some kind of obsessive compulsive disorder?

quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
Because Matt Jeffries hit one out of the park with his design for the Enterprise, and we technogeeks want to explore every facet of that ship. No other universe that I know of has quite the same combination of elements. I love the Yamato and the SDF-1, but there isn't as much of the hint of a larger fleet structure to grok in either of those properties. Star Wars has a lot of neat ships, but the approach is more haphazard and random, which implies a lot more work if you want to wring consistency out of it. If more Star Destroyers were explicitly named and numbered, we might have a contest on here to see who could finish a full ship registry first. [Big Grin]

--Jonah

Star Destroyer Names List

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now there's a chickenshit non-canon fanboy list if ever there was one!

I loves the effort though! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How is it a fanboy list to document all the Star Destroyers named in the various SW print media over the years? A fanboy list -- at least in my book -- would be if he made up a whole bunch of macho names himself.

Now, granted, a lot of the authors of those various print media made up a bunch of macho names themselves, but Curtis Saxon didn't add or edit. And he definitely didn't do the "aw, come ON!!" approach I took when weeding out the stupider names various SW authors have some up with over the years.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stupider names like what?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

Well, Tim Zahn and Kevin Anderson kinda irked me with their Terran mythological references (Chimaera, Gorgon, etc.) -- not to mention the sheer idiocy of the four Star Destroyers in Admiral Daala's detachment being called a "fleet", when the Executor and the twenty or so Star Destroyers with it were merely a "squadron"... And the New Republic getting all scared about that "fleet", too. [Razz]

But a lot of games and comics and whatnot gave us a lot of Star Destroyer names that were, like... "We r TeH EmPyUr! We R Teh EeeeViL11!!!1". Names like Avarice, Corruptor, Virulence, Malice, Assassin...

--Jonah

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, it's not...exactly a "fanboy" list, but (as pointed out) a LOT of SW print stuff is...dreck.

Worse still- many true fanboys are bouyed by the notion that (somehow) all of it is canon and "real" in the SW universe (even the "double-decker" ISD from the Marvel comics).
I've even seen nonsense declaring that a Star Destroyer can, in fact, destroy a star.
Riiight.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

I always took that as melodramatic herperbole on the part of the Empire's propeganda department.

--Jonah

--------------------

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although there must be something in it - a beurocratic organisation like the Empire must have a trade description act.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

Yeah, look at what they named that big space station of theirs...

--Jonah

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps