Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Federation cartography model

Author Topic: Federation cartography model
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THis is a map of the internet I found on Wikipedia. The nature of it has me thinking that this could in fact be the best model for the cartogrpahy of the Federation we've ever seen.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reminds me a bit of the map that Masao made a while back...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I should also amend my statement. It is in fatc a map of about 40,000 nodes representing a mere 2% fo Das Intarweb.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This thread links to Masao's (beautiful) map.

I still have a problem with nodal maps for astrogation, mostly that the lines between nodes A) obscure a lot of the map and B) imply that the route from point A to point G-seventeen-stroke-9 follows the branches when really you could point your starship directly and get there. It does help quite a bit with perspective however.

Shik
Member # 343

Of course you can POINT it that way...the question remains, though, are you still in Federation space if you do so.

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, if you accept the theory of "subspace highways" (or whatever), then the shortest distance is not a straight line, either.

Anyone remember the old pseudo-technical description of Andromeda's slipstream travel? I think that would apply even more to this type of map.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding territorial claims, I'm quite certain that the Federation would take issue with a Breen cruiser parked a few lightyears off the route between Sol and Vulcan. Obviously on the scale of interstellar empires strict border enforcement would be next to impossible. Although the very concept would likely be in question, for treaty purposes, it might be convenient to consider "controlled space" as extending a certain number of parsecs in all directions around a given star system.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps