Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » 3-D and 2-D Star Maps (Page 6)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  12  13  14   
Author Topic: 3-D and 2-D Star Maps
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
quote:
Any idea where that disputed world would be exactly?
On the second fold-out page at the end...

Since both the Sheliak and Federation colonists seem to have come a long way, it does make sense for Tau Cygni to be out in the sticks. And the Sheliak can well be a mighty empire three times the size of the UFP, as long as they are sufficiently distant.

I've never thought of the Tzenkethi as Kzinti, really. The Patriarchy of the Charts is where the felinoids live, plain and simple - although no doubt they have aggressively colonized the neighborhood. The Caitians are quite distant relatives, and live in completely different direction...

As for the Kzinti having a "patriarchy" in the first place, blame Niven. That's pretty much the "official" name for their excuse for a society.

Timo Saloniemi

Hmmmm... that explains a lot. Did the "Patriarchy" ever get a mention anywhere besides TAS?

Hopefully, the upcoming book will make the Tzenkethi unique (though hopefully also not typical humanoids with nose/forehead deformaties).

I've got a (Excelsor sized) Shelliak cruiser in the works just now, (as I've been challenging my fellow modelers to come up with alien Trek ship designs instead of endless Federation variants) so mabye I will give them a bit of space out in the unknown region the Breen hail from.

Herb: it's just a very odd name for an alien species. I know all about universal translators and all that jive, but some terms sound too earth-centric in their origins.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What, like "empire"?

What do you want them to be called? The Kzinti Ziggityboo? The Kzinti Qkghfdrjbf?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ziggityboo! No one is going to take their warcries seriously.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:

Ziggityboo... a truncated form of the ancient Kzinti word Ziggitybootylicious.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:

Because giant cat-men in bright pink spacesuits would be taken seriously otherwise, right?

It just seems that they went out of their way to avoid using the same descriptive term for any two empires where possible (aside from the Klingons and Romulans, of course- their "Empire" designations are TOS canon).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are the almost final versions of my 100-lightyear-diameter flat and perspective maps centered on Sol. As before I haven't put in any Trek names other than Vulcan, Andor, and Tellar in their old fandom locations. The other stars have their real names, and all stars are in their true locations. I hope to assign Trek names to the systems were now believe to be habitable (indicated by white borders, large white names, and thick connecting lines) but I'm too tired for that now.

These maps are a bit jaggy and suffer from some line drop outs, but I output them as 72-dpi gifs, which is the only resolution and format I could use and still be within Photobucket file limits.
Perspective (588 kb)
Flat map (772 kb)

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You, sir, are either insane or insanely talented/motivated. Presently I'm leaning towards the latter. They are beautiful. Well done.
Kobi
Member # 1360

- posted      Profile for Kobi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah they are really cool! And huge...

--------------------
Visit Andorian's office, with new section all about Kzinti!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You, sir, have just provided the ultimate proof to me and my co-workers (writing this from work on my break) that I am not the geekiest Star Trek fan alive. My sincere thanks. [Big Grin] [Razz]

Still, that's awesome work. And I can provide some suggestions on labeling the planets if you want...

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aha! Finally, online evidence that stopping the Borg at Wolf 359 makes no real sense. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well - (ok I know your comment was meant in jest) lets look at it with a critical eye.

-Wolf 359 sounds cool.

-We don't know if the vessel they encountered at system J25 was the same vessel that was heading for Earth in BOBW. It may have been on the otherside of the Federation from the Galactic core.

-The Transwarp conduit the borg vessel maybe used only had a terminus out past Jouret IV (I think that's the planet Picard mentioned in BOBW).

-Maybe massing a large chunk of Starfleet and Federation tech at an ?uninhabited? system was an attempt to slow the cube down.

-I know it's voyager but I think in Infinite Regress one of Seven's "personalities" said that a mother was rendezvousing with her son at Wolf359 - why there? There may have been a key station at Wolf359 that we never saw and the Borg slowed down to assimilate it. That's when the Federation/Starfleet pounced?

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if I am insane (maybe). This project started off small, but I seriously underestimated the amount of work involved. Since I had already started, I just decided to keep going. However, I've abandoned plans to expand the map to a radius of 100 ly. Now I can get on with my life.

As far as labeling planets, you guys can have at it. Trying to reconcile onscreen references to real stars is not something I look forward to. I'm not that much of a geek!

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Yes. Yes, you are.
This will haunt you.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Masao - you know what you have to do next... some sort of flash/cgi rotatable 3d version.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

The Flat Map is a broken link.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  12  13  14   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps