Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Star Trek Online, is anyone playing? (Page 6)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Star Trek Online, is anyone playing?
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been hearing STO might become free to play in the near future. Good news for people who haven't joined, bad news for those who have been paying.
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cancelled my subscription to STO long ago. If it becomes free-to-play, I might just start playing again.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mars Needs Women:
I've been hearing STO might become free to play in the near future. Good news for people who haven't joined, bad news for those who have been paying.

I shouldn't think so. Typically when MMOs go F2P the existing paying members get something a long the lines of a platinum membership status for pretty much the same content while the free players get a nerfed version of the game.

Personally a couple hours messing around with the demo when it came out left me very disinterested in the whole affair. I think I'm just not built for MMORPGs.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think if you know a bunch of others who are playing then it can be fun, but if not then I find it a rather lonely experience, and leveling up can turn into a chore.

Luckily, for my wallet and my social life, I didn't find STO at all interesting, as the design work just seemed like a mess of overlapping styles (and almost offensively ugly ships) and the gameplay wasn't anything at all out of the ordinary.

Might get into EVE or the Star Wars one though. :/

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Josh
Member # 1884

- posted      Profile for Josh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I played at launch for a month and then revisited the game back in June. It has improved significantly in it's breath of content and Trekness.

At launch the game was just run and gun. It's opened up quite a bit with diplomatic missions and a plethora of things drawn from the various series and movies.

The developers seem to know what they are doing and have a sense of humour. When Earth's starbase received a significant redesign, the in-game explanation is that Q decided to do it for fun.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had an on again, off again relationship with STO. Maxed out my Fed and Klingon characters, but now there isn't much to do out there. I'll occaisionally drop in to view new content and see if I can snag that very rare bridge officer, but other than that, nothing else.

I've heard that transferring to F2P usually is the sounding of the death knell for MMORPGs. The less people put money into a product, the less work is done on the product itself. You have to wonder why WoW is still the #1 RPG out there, and they still charge monthly subscriptions.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DDO seems to be doing well, though i admit its harder for me to find groups around my level (since folks are either lvl20s, TR's that seem to know how to lvl much faster than i do, or F2P noobs playing disposable lowbie toons for favor only). update 11 will be out this week i think so there will be glut of Artificers and no rogues probably LOL

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://startrek.com/article/star-trek-online-boldly-goesundefined-free

LOL... [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Teh PW
Member # 1203

quote:
Originally posted by Krenim:
I cancelled my subscription to STO long ago. If it becomes free-to-play, I might just start playing again.

-
http://trekmovie.com/2012/01/04/star-trek-online-free-to-play-available-early-for-returning-players/

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pensive's Wetness:

http://trekmovie.com/2012/01/04/star-trek-online-free-to-play-available-early-for-returning-players/

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll probably check that out later today.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder how the Old Republic MMO is doing. Heard a lot of good things.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People at my work play it- they're very happy, but then, they were WoW players before so...

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I play it. It's pretty dope. Although I'm sure my nostalgia for SWG is the main motivating factor behind my enjoyment of it. Tis a shame, I don't think I'll pick STO back up again.

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started STO. It's OK for a time waster but by the time you get a character topped out with all the high end stuff....there's not much to do with them so you start back over with a new character.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Teh PW
Member # 1203

well, they have monkied a lot of the game content in time for F2P. They did up the skills to ensure folks put at least some points into ground-based skills (space specing with zero ground skills seemed to be very common for some folks). Crafting is harder for Epic loot (ing only purchaseable using dilithium ore as well as scan ing + schematics), common content for the Klingons (or least some reason why i see Ridgeheads crusing Fed Space)... oh, the Micromanaging that is Duty Officers (OMG the awesome LOL)
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps