Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Transporterroom, Bridge, Helm station (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Transporterroom, Bridge, Helm station
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.dailytrek.de/archiv/99849074465682.shtml

I'm not sure, if I like the helm station.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. I like. I like very much.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The design of the helm station is certainly unusual. The convex control surface, the steering wheel, and just the asymmetric design of it is certainly odd. However, I think it'll grow on me eventually.

That's really the first big and clear picture I've seen of the bridge. I really like it, I must say. It has a lot of unusual design elements that make it kinda cool to sit and look at. You've got a ring of big control consoles with physical buttons, levers, sliders, knobs, etc that give a nice feel. The color are a nice combination of the metalic silver of the consoles with the tan-gray of the walls and elevated floor sections. There's also a nice use of pastels on the wall-mounted controls. I like the handrails and support handgrips lining the elevated bridge section and built into the supports and consoles. I'm not sure if it's a set element or a design element, but are those track lights on the bridge ceiling?

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I don't like (and I do like it, BTW) is the little grill thingies that look like they're off a coffee maker or hamburger grill. If anybody can put up the pic, they're at the top right of the helm console pic. Up and just a little left of the handrail that's on the very right side of the pic.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The details are nice, but the bridge as a whole is even much less imaginative than I feared. It has neither the expected "industrial" look, nor is the layout in any way different than on later ships. The sensor thingy hanging from the ceiling, the shapes of the various stand-alone stations and of the railings, the deepened floor. The production designers just continued where they stopped. Eveything is much as on Starfleet ships 200 years later. This could be well the bridge of a sister ship of Voyager if one doesn't look a bit closer.
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The bridge has a bit of a cluttered look to it, not something you'd expect from a modern Starfleet vessel, but the general feel and design elements make it look perfect for this ship in the 22nd century. It 'feels' just right, I like it. The one slight drawback is this picture:

http://www.startrekweb.net/dailytrek/enterprise_konsole.jpg

The appearance of these monitors look a little too present day for what one may imagine for a starship 150 years from now, but that's the only minor nit.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From TV Guide
"The bridge includes a navigation table and a console [helm] made from a discarded audio mixer from a recording studio; the 1950's-esque joystick, gearshift knobs and steering wheel are a mix of Porshe parts and scrap from Hughes aircraft." (Pg. 29)

I could say a word or two of nastiness on this sentence and its implications. Instead, I will say nothing.

Tech Sergeant Chen
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Tech Sergeant Chen         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody notice the panel on the lower right corner of the helm? Looks an awful lot like Kirk's TOS armrest. Wouldn't be surprised if Okuda labeled it the same as an in-joke. The rows of rocker switches recall the original helm.

Speaking of helm, is that the term they'll be using? Are they finally dumping "conn"?

But wait, what's this? The transporter platform is all new? Is this the end of a tradition? They always said with pride that parts of the TOS transporter pads were reused in every Trek transporter since (with the possible exception of the nontraditional DS9).

And I really like the picture of the weapons control station at the bottom of the page. When I designed a ship for a friend several years ago, I did much the same thing for bridge controls. Lots of physicality and variety, a 6-axis control stick like the Spaceball for rotation and translation (almost identical to the one shown here), and no smooth Okudagrams. Wow, GMTA!

--------------------
Never give up. Never surrender.

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the bridge looks fine, not to modern , infact one can say it look a bit to "today" for my tastes but I dont really see that as being a make or break point for the show.

On another note... I'm having some serious doubts about this image.

http://www.startrekweb.net/dailytrek/enterprise_konsole.jpg

It doesnt look like it fits enterprise. Infact I have a hunch that this is an image from Starship Troopers , if you notice the shoulders on the uniform of the guy down at the left are grey like the uniforms in Starship Troopers and the ship on that monitor looks ALOT like the ships in Starship Troopers.

Thanks to our friends at Babel Fish and Altavista I have this translation of the text on the site next to the image.

quote:
Intermediary way was sent us by a reader of our page a further picture of the Enterprise. It shows a console, which is probably for the controlling of the weapons responsible.
Cordial thanks at Alex Leiner for this picture!

Hmm Weapons Console ... now if you look down in the right hand corner you will see a hand with a nice nail polish job , now this could be confirmation of Reeds sexual preferance ... j/k

It looks more to me like the ending scene from Starship Troopers where Denise Richard's character gains command of a cruiser. That would be Denise Richard's hand.

Hmm , its happening again I'm becoming a minutae freak! This can only get worse as September Nears :/

--------------------
My Mother never found the irony in calling me a son of a bitch

Tech Sergeant Chen
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Tech Sergeant Chen         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, consider me fooled. Never watched Starship Troopers all the way through. Just too dull and gory for me.

The monitors should have tipped me off. Troopers was made years ago when these were state of the art. I expect Enterprise sets, if they use any CRT screens, would use FD Trinitron or Diamondtron NF tubes with absolutely flat faces. Assuming they don't use active matrix LCDs.

[ August 22, 2001: Message edited by: Tech Sergeant Chen ]

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually they use plasma screens , $7000 plasma screens , they went all out on this one

I spotted it right off the bat , I saw Starship Troopers a few times (3 times to be exact over a streak of boring Saturday afternoons).

I'm so convinced the creators and production staff of that movie are all closet Nazi's , all the uniforms in that movie look like left SS uniforms , I mean Doogie Howzers character actually wore a TRUE SS uniform , not to mention that SS Skull was everywhere.

[ August 22, 2001: Message edited by: Obese Penguin ]

--------------------
My Mother never found the irony in calling me a son of a bitch

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, looked at my DVD and it's definately from Starshiptroopers (or Berman is as a great fan of STT as of the Akira-Design).

[ August 22, 2001: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To quote from another thread, "I think we have a winner."
Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Speaking of helm, is that the term they'll be using? Are they finally dumping "conn"?

I hope so. If not then we'll throw "conn" onto the growing pile of "It changed by TOS and then changed back again."

--------------------
"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It?s us. Only us."
Rorschach

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just watched "Return To Tomorrow" yesterday and I could have swore that Kirk told Sulu to take the conn when he and Spock went down to Sargon's planet...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps