Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Transporterroom, Bridge, Helm station (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Transporterroom, Bridge, Helm station
Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kirk meant "con" (with one "N"), not CONN. Con is a nautical term that means to direct the steering or course of (a vessel). CONN (or just conn) is a variant of "con" but in Star Trek, seems mainly to be used when someone takes the helm (or flight controller position). Meanwhile, con (last heard in TOS, I believe) has been used as a way to say you have control of the ship/bridge, etc. and not just the helm.

[ August 23, 2001: Message edited by: Ace ]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chris,

You confusion comes from that you expect "Conn" to refer to the helm/navigation station. It is also used to refer to "taking command." Kirk was not instructing Sulu to jump at the pilot's seat, but to take command of the Enterprise.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ouch. My head hurts.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't believe I didn't recognise this console picture from Starship Troopers. If you look at the monitor near the top you can see a greenish image of the Rodger Young starship. For God's sakes, I was had big time here. D'oh

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just noticed... Look at the chair for Sato's station on the right of the big bridge picture. Specifically, the foot of the chair. No wheels! No high-tech feet! Hell, most office chairs look better than that!

If anything, it seems to resemble the chairs from the E-nil. Folks, I think we've found the LINK.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OT: Who the heck was Rodger Young?

/OT: Diane Duane named a Starfleet battleship after him, too, in "The Wounded Sky".

Timo Saloniemi

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
OT: Who the heck was Rodger Young?

He was a US-soldier:
http://www.wegrokit.com/rybio.htm

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The battleship was probably an homage to Heinlein. I've used it myself. I think I even named an Oberth as the USS New Frontiers.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the record, "con" and "conn" are just variations of the same word. They both mean "to steer a ship".
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the Technical Manual, 'Conn' is a term which is short for 'Flight Control'. So Conn in this respect I assume is simply taken from the word 'control'. So 'to steer a ship'? technically speaking yes. But it's more of a physical post, or station, so when someone says, "take the Conn" it basically means 'take the flight control' - or 'take the helm'.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the bridge and the helm station. It looks like the helm station has a little 'astrogator' to the right.
And look at the science console: Spock's viewer is back!

I just hope this bridge has good sound fx!

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno.. I actually don't like the single forward station concept. Thorugh TOS unto the 2250s, all starship bridges had dedicated helm and navigation stations. Now, Mayweather apparently gets to drive this ship all himself? Talk about belittling Chekov.

Mark

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there could be a seperate Nav station elsewhere on the bridge ... just because it's not right next to the helm post doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

True, there could be a navigation sub-station somewhereo n the bridge - the navigator doesn't HAVE to look at the viewscreen.

Actually, I'm only more concerned about the Captain's view of the main screen... Like the Defiant, the Pre-E helm console is fairly close to the CO chair, and only one step "down". Archer is going to spend seven years commanding the Pre-E while staring at the back of Mayweather's head. OTOH, the main screen could be gargantuan, and the view no worse than at a movie theatre...

Mark

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, you guys either don't pay ANY fucking attention or have the memory capacities of LINT. There's a navigation table on the bridge reminiscnet of the one designed for 2010.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps