Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Opening Sequence (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Opening Sequence
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good lord. Those are as bad as "Threshold" set to Kid Rock music.

One minor point, though... Courage did come back to Star Trek, considering he orchestrated for Goldsmith on the last two films.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Our ship's the Ennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnterprise!"

Lovely.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"This way, Gene is listed as co-author and recieved half the royalties every time the theme was played. This is also why Courage never returned to Star Trek and they arent allowed to use his music in new productions (it would have been nice in Trials and Tribbleations)."

I don't know what Star Trek you're watching, but they played the original TOS fanfare in pretty much every episode of TNG. And in Trials and Tribbleations (how can you miss it? It plays when the original Enterprise first appears on teh viewscreen).

Or do you mean the second part of the music? Call me crazy, but I can here it at several points in TMP. It is also played in TVH when we first see the Enterprise-A in flight.

So, er, wrong. Wronger than a very wrong person whose just been proved wrong. By Omega.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, that's really wrong.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Psy is right, the theme is all over the place. I wish they used it more though.

You know, I really wish they used the alternate main title theme from TNG for Enterprise. Thats a good song.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quite.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I claim no knowledge of this issue, but there's a difference between using his old music, which is presumably the property of Paramount, and making new stuff. Or did I read that completely wrong?
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The opening fanfare has continued to be used throughout TNG too.. but the 'theme' for TOS (the music played during the credits, not before the voiceover) has not been used in its complete form beyond the movies, a couple of which did include a brief sample of it (about 6 or 7 notes woven into the score).

In Trials and Tribbleations they played a similar sounding theme, but with altered notes so it wasnt the same piece of music. Maybe we can try to grab some .wavs or .mp3s to compare here. Admittedly, music isnt my strong point, but still think this is what i recognized when i was listening.

And its on record in 'Inside Star Trek' That Alexander Courage was pissed and refused to return for more Star Trek work during the series

[ September 11, 2001: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well if Gene was the (official) co-writer for the main suite, then courage probably can't stop them from using it (assuming they have the consent of the Roddenberry estate). But other portions of the TOS soundtrack may be solely owned by Courage.

--------------------
"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It?s us. Only us."
Rorschach

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure how half of a musical piece can be subject to different rights than the second part. Especially since Gene wrote the lyrics to the second part, which would make that part "his", as oppossed to the fanfare.

"And its on record in 'Inside Star Trek' That Alexander Courage was pissed and refused to return for more Star Trek work during the series"

Except, as stated above, he did. He arranged FC and Insurrection. Or by "series", do you mean "TOS"?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thats exactly what i meant, seeing as that book was solely about the original series..

--------------------

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im watching the end of Star Trek 3 right now. I just heard the fanfare complete within the score. 28 notes i belive.
capped
Member # 709

the fanfare? or the theme...

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Counting on my hands, and ignoring the extended chords at the beginning, the opening fanfare "theme" is either 8 or 10 notes (the last two aren't always played). The rest of the TOS theme is 32 notes.

--------------------

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
"This way, Gene is listed as co-author and recieved half the royalties every time the theme was played. This is also why Courage never returned to Star Trek and they arent allowed to use his music in new productions (it would have been nice in Trials and Tribbleations)."

I think some people are confusing the TOS opening title with the indidental music created for the series. The Enterprise fanfare heard in many episodes (deh dah dah, deh dah dah dah DAAA) is different, and I suspect doesn't doesn't kick anything back to the Roddenberry estate. They could have used that...or the original Tribbles incidental music...but no, they did another dull DS9 score. Oy...

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps