Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Opening Sequence (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Opening Sequence
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alexander Courage's theme was heard in Emissary... it says so on the Soundtrack.

Infact I was watching the Voyager episode "Shattered" last night - and in the scene where Tuvok dies - you hear the Star Trek Theme...

Can someone explain that part of the timeline? In that part where Tuvok dies - is that supposed to be Chakotay's present!?! Or is it a scene we have yet to see in the future... or is it set during "Year of Hell"?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At his point, I'm willing to admit i'm wrong about that, but i still think there are cases wher they wanted to use it and couldnt. And Alexander Courage still gets credited when they play the fanfare, which he composed independent of the theme
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After finally seeing the sequence on a TV...

I like the opening video... even shows the Pheonix but that music has to go.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What makes a good title sequence? I DL'ed an online version and, well, I don't know. Sure, I was completely bored with the standard space visuals/ponderous theme that characterised all the other recent Treks.

Right now I'm watching a lot of comedy on the Paramount Comedy Channel (imagine that). It's quite interesting to watch how styles of credit sequences seem to come and go, especially on shows like (picking some out of the air here, one or two might never have changed at all) Mad About You, Just Shoot Me, Spin City, Becker . . . one thing they have in common is they're relatively short, most wait to list the stars until the post-credits action has started.

Now, the Enterprise credits are 1 minute 20 seconds long. Can't say how that compares with previous Treks, but it sure seems longer. Wouldn't be surprised if they change them a couple of seasons in. I like the visuals, I like the actor's-names-only fading in and out, the song still sucks yet seems to fit somehow.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I DLed the song last night (anyone who likes Rod Stewart and was on a fileshare must have wondered what the hell was going on last night, with the same song being DLed 10 times as much!)

The lyrics wicked describe the situation.. i think its a supreme pick, even if i dont like it being associated with a Star Trek show.

quote:
It's been a long road getting from there to here
It's been a long time, but my time is finally near
and I can feel the change in the wind right now
Nothing's in my way
and they're not gonna hold me down no more
No they're not gonna hold me down

Cause I've got faith of the heart I'm going where my heart will take me
I've got faith to believe I can do anything
I've got strength of the soul and no one's gonna bend or break me
I can reach any star, I've got faith, I've got I've got I've got faith....faith of the heart

It's been a long night trying to find my way
Been through the darkness, now I've finally had my day
and I will see my dream come alive at last I will touch the sky
And they're not gonna hold me down no more no they're not gonna change my mind

I can reach any star, I've got faith, I've got I've got I've got faith....faith of the heart

I'm going where the winds so cold, to see the darkest days
But now the winds are free...only winds have changed
I've been to the fire and I've been to the rain
But I'll be fine cause I've got faith, faith of the heart

I can reach any star, I've got , I've got I've got I've got faith....faith of the heart
faith of the heart I'm going where my heart will take me
I've got faith to believe and no one's gonna bend or break
I can reach any star, cause I've got faith, cause I've got faith, faith of the heart

It's been a long road....

Approriate: 'Long road getting here'.. and was Rod singing about the Vulcans when he said 'theyre not gonna hold me down no more'? and the whole 'and I will see my dream come alive at last I will touch the sky' seemed to describe Archer's path to the ship. Plus they actually put all that 'wind' stuff in dialogue. Its so very appropriate for the first episode, but i think they could think about changing it later.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lee: Surely Frasier is the suprmeme example of the short titles? (Which is interesting when compared to Cheers' titles. Sure Frasier are nice and "sophisticated", but a good theme tune can do wonders for a TV show. EVERYONE knows the Cheers theme.)

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Worst song ever.
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The uber-short titles phenomena has really only taken hold of half-hour sitcoms, though. It makes sense... when you're dealing with 21 minutes of programming, you don't want to waste a minute on credits. For a similar reason, an epilogue scene will usually be run under the closing credits.

However, I can't think of an hourlong drama with shortshort credits.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Law & Order." MASSIVE cut, almost in half from the original theme.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grosse Pointe had really long credits. Maybe because the show is crap.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps