Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » $$$ Impressions of "Broken Bow" and "Enterprise" $$$ (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: $$$ Impressions of "Broken Bow" and "Enterprise" $$$
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved it as well. I would give it a 91%. As for the gel scene, although its not very much like trek, as a straight guy I can appretiate a... very nice.. female body..

I cant wait for next week!

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Next week:
No one can wait for first contact...
We are boarding the vessel...
*scream*
What could be inside? The UPN archives?

I too, have taken back what I first said about Enterprise, about the Akira and other things.

--------------------
Meh

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alshrim Dax:
The Enterprise takes a pounding ... without shields... WE have to remember that weapons in this century aren't the weapons they are in TOS ..

We also have to remember that every time the ship goes itno battle, Archer says "polarize the hull plating" for a reason. For all intents and purposes, Enterprise has shields, they're just integrated with the hull itself.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it was okay.

My friends who were much more casual viewers (remember that wider audience base we were always talking about?) thought it was okay.

The writing was somewhat wooden. Bakula's acting was great and his writing was above par with everybody else. I fear we may end up getting many many shows focusing on a single person to the exclusion of others again.

Blalock was good, definetely emotional, but I liked where Archer would catch her in the act. All the Vulcans seemed perpetually pissed off at humans. Not the kind of relationship that you think humans would tolerate for a hundred years. They were most likely just pissed off for that particular event, but we should've gotten some better scenes regarding the status quo relationship of human/Vulcans.

Other characters were excellent and would be outstanding if the writing was better. Billingsly did a fantastic job, but his makeup still irks me as being too human. They've done extensive regular character make up before (Worf, Data, Neelix, etc.) that would go a long way for him.

Sets were very nice. I like the entire of the Akiraprize. Though Trek AG shouldn't produce a sweet spot, I'll let that nitpick go for the time being. Special effects were incredible.

I like the ship out of context with the other series. I'm willing and able to watch this show and not get mad about the ship, but my feelings about it's creativity and lineage remain unchanged.

Overall, there was nothing special about the plot. No great premise was set up really. Klingon first contact didn't turn out as horribly as we were lead to believe. We only get the vaguest of notions about the EFG. And at least I got the impression that they weren't interested in Archer/Akiraprize at all. "We don't want to involve the humans. Not yet anyway." The sentence and its tone make it abundantly clear that they are after somebody else. And story wise, where is the fun in that?

I laughed:

At the gel scene. Just because it was completely ludicrous.

At Phlox's line where he sounded exactly like those guys from Galaxy Quest.

The worst thing besides the gel scene:

The couple of flashback scenes with Archer as a kid w/ his father and the model spaceplane. Once again: Star Trek + children = crap. Thankfully, there were very few of such scenes.

Conclusion:

The writing needs to get better, but there is a lot of potential. If the writing were to get on par with TNG or (dare I even suggest it as a possibility) DS9, then we would have one outstanding show.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only complaint I have is the "Gel scene", that brought them down to the level of Black Scorpion", but only for the duration of the scene. I was pleasently surprised by the rest of the episode.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Though Trek AG shouldn't produce a sweet spot...

Why?

OnToMars
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's just the way I see it, and I should've specified as much. If you have another opinion, good. But I'm not about to get into an argument about it here. Start a thread in Starships and Tech if you're so inclined.

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a question. I mean, we've got no idea whether 22nd century gravity generation technology is anything like the stuff described in the TNG tech manual. For instance, the dialogue seemed to suggest a single source for it, rather than the Galaxy's (and presumably many other ships') distributed system. Seeing as how they don't have tractor beams, a single large gravity generator might be all they can manage.

Though Archer's toy certainly seemed to be using antigravity. But maybe the sons of very important engineers get perks (perhaps Vulcan in origin?) that the poor children of doctors and lawyers and meat vendors don't.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The gel scene was ridiculous.
The scene was two officers os a ship arguing, or at least debating opinions. The director obviously didnt want the audience to listen though.. several times they cut to close ups of Jolene's body while Tucker was talking. How did this help to advance the story? If Tucker had been checking her out, it would fit the flow of the moment. But he wasnt, aside from the parts where he had to touch her, he was interacting with her verbally and intellectually as they spoke, and not paying attention to her body. The close up of her stomach particularly, just completely detracted from the flavor of the scene, which should have been a little hostile.

Only towards the end of the scene did the dialogue start to synchronize with the action, like T'Pol's parting shots being while she was rubbing him down. That was actually effective to portraying their interaction, having her take the dominant role in the discussion while she took the dominant role in the act of violating his personal space.
But this was after her rubdown was complete. I'd be interested to know whos decision it was to cut the the closeups of her body.. editor? director? producer? studio? network? whoever did it screwed up someone elses well done scene

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

OnToMars
Member # 621

[Son of a bitch...]

[ September 28, 2001: Message edited by: Stingray ]

--------------------

OnToMars
Member # 621

Personally, I love how they had to rub gel on each others' spots that they could've easily reached themselves. Like the waistline and abdomen.

--------------------

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad you two agree on that.

Did anyone notice how they reshot 3 days of Jolene's scenes with the new wig.. the ready room scene seemed to cut back and forth like crazy.

--------------------

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, Kosh... Since I'm assuming you and I were watching the same channel last night, let me ask you a question. Were you getting the same problems watching Enterprise (volume really low for the first half-hour, really obnoxious video problems the last hour or so, etc) that I was?

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

capped
Member # 709

I lost video as T'Pol and Tucker were arriving for their scene on the surface. It degraded into pixels and was replaced by a green scan line, indicating it was interruption before broadcast, and not airborne interference but something digital from their feed. thats on a UPN broadcast affiliate in New England

--------------------

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy Shit! God Damn this was so unexpected for this series. This was definitely something that has so much potential that it could get as popular as Star Trek TNG.

I liked:
Everything, I liked the beginning, the opening shots in the farm, and opening credits. That was different from the rest, in terms of no ship wooshing by, or beauty shots of the ship, just flash back scenes from 'real' life and First Contact.

I hated:
The Gel scene, there was no reason why there had to be a gel scene. That made an almost perfect episode (for once) into a almost Voyager/Shit episode. The writers could definitely rewrote that differently. I guess next episode wil have her taking a bubble bath right?

Characters:
Archer: He obviously is a natural Trek captain. I think the writers will wirte alot of episodes between Archer and T'Pol. (sounds familiar?)

T'Pol: To me she's just there for a new 7 of 9 but this time she will be through the entire series. I think she needs to be more Vulcan because she seems to be alittle 'human'.

Dr. Phlox: He seems to be a mix of the Doctor from Voyager, the people from Galaxy Quest and Neelix. I think he is the comedy relief.

Mayweather: I have no clue what the future for this guy will be.

Tucker: I have no clue, I think he gets pregnant later in the series right?

Sato: I think she's a bit afraid of ships.

Reed: For some reason I think he and the Doctor will be the ones battling each other like Quark and Odo.

If each episode is like the one last night, then we got a winner and a replacement for the TNG crew for the movies.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps