Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » $$$ Impressions of "Broken Bow" and "Enterprise" $$$ (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: $$$ Impressions of "Broken Bow" and "Enterprise" $$$
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'replacement'.. not my style.. i had fun though.

I was a little sketched by the way Phlox went into that Galaxy Quest riff.. i wonder if it was on purpose? Still at least he isnt Neelix.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phlox is a competant Zoidberg. I think that's a good thing.
Commander Dan
Member # 558

- posted      Profile for Commander Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I watched, and I marginally enjoyed. After mulling it over for 24 hours, here is my take on the premiere of Enterprise:

The Good,

Scott Bakula’s performance. Definitely the best part of the show. I was happy when I heard Bakula was on board as captain and I am even happier now after seeing Archer on-screen.

Homages to TOS. Communicators and their sounds. The bridge “scanner” used by T’Pol. Ship wide intercoms.

The shuttlecraft design. One of few designs in Enterprise that actually has some visual believability as far as existing before the TOS era.

The “uneasiness” the crew has with the transporters. I rather like this aspect of the show.

Archer’s Dog. My wife and I are “dog people,” as we call ourselves, so I liked the dog! The pooch can stay!

The Bad,

The Story. While I found the plot itself “average,” the episode as a whole “felt” (at least to me) as if it had been thrown together somewhat haphazardly, with little regard to detail or continuity. It didn’t seem to “flow” very well.

“Technobabble.” Too much gibberish for my tastes.

The “Temporal Cold War” plot device. Pretty pathetic. It would have been much better to simply focus on the “disastrous first contact with the Klingon(s).”

The disastrous first contact with the Klingon(s). While I agree that “first contact” did not go so well, it seemed to fall short of being the “disastrous” event that I had envisioned.

The Music: I am a musician by trade, so this is a big deal to me. I certainly do not care for the “pop-song” theme, but I do not necessary find it that offensive. No offense to composer Dennis McCarthy, but I really wish that B&B would have considered some new talent so we could get out of that “Voyager/DS9 feeling” that continued to lurk in the background of Enterprise.

Not enough Homages. While I applaud the homages that do exist, I still think that more are warranted. I would have liked to have seen TOS style rank stripes, the “tracer” below the main view screen, rectangular windows, and/or more TOS-like panels and readouts (similar, not exact), just to name a few.

The ship interior. Not too bad, really; but a little bit too “busy” (I thought) for pre-TOS.

The Ugly,

I was immediately disenfranchised when the first images of the “Akiraprise” were released. Still, I originally thought it was a fairly “neat” design, though quite unoriginal and certainly not believable as a ship that predates the TOS Enterprise. After watching Enterprise, I can honestly say that I now like the Akiraprise even LESS.

Klingon Warbirds? Is no one at Paramount doing their homework?

A space-age shotgun? How hokey is that?

Warp Travel. I found myself immediately questioning how and why they were able to travel so quickly from Earth to the Klingon Homeworld. Not to mention their little excursion to Rigel.

The “gel” scene.

I still have issues with continuity…

Overall Thoughts,

I really feel that this show is walking on thin ice, and I just can’t seem to get around that feeling.

Isn’t Spock supposed to be the first Vulcan in Starfleet? Yeah, yeah, I know… This isn’t the FEDERATION Starfleet, it’s EARTH’s Starfleet. And T’Pol isn’t really even a member of Earth’s Starfleet, she is just “tagging along” for tickles and grins.

And what about the “Akiraprise” itself? Obviously this is a pretty big deal with humans just beginning to venture out into the great unknown of space, yet we have only now learned of the NX-01? There has never been ANY previous mention of this “Starship Enterprise,” and in fact, the NCC-1701 has always been referred to as the “first” Starship Enterprise.

Right, right… I got it, EARTH Starfleet versus the FEDERATION Starfleet. Sure… Like I said, Thin ice…

B&B could have avoided SOME of this controversy simply by naming the ship something OTHER than Enterprise (Akiraprise, perhaps?). It just seems that the more Trek that B&B produces, that many more “rationalizations” must be conceived amongst the fans in order to “preserve” continuity.

Is Enterprise just a TV show? Sure… But the problem is, it is based on something that has become MORE than “just a TV show. How many books and articles have been written on the mythos and fandom of Star Trek, not to mention how Star Trek has embedded itself into our 20th Century (and 21st) culture.

TPTB have a certain responsibility to make the show somewhat “believable,” even in Sci-Fi. Because this is a PREQUEL, this should occur on TWO fronts. First, the stories, characters, and events should be believable within the context of Enterprise. Second, the stories, characters, and events should be believable in the context that they occurred BEFORE The Original Series.

This is where I have a MAJOR problem with the Akiraprise. I see it, yet I do not really believe that this is a ship that could have existed before the TOS Enterprise. Even Wednesday night, I had to kick myself a couple of times through the course of the episode to remind myself that this is supposed to be happening BEFORE The Original Series.

I will continue to watch and see how the show turns out. To be fair, I will have to see at least a season (maybe more) in order to really judge the show appropriately. I can say this, however: I never got that “tingly feeling” (sometimes referred to as the “chill factor”) while watching the premiere of Enterprise. In actuality, it has been a long, long time since I last had that feeling while watching Star Trek…

Dan

[ September 27, 2001: Message edited by: Commander Dan ]

--------------------
“My experience with Rick Berman is, you know, he does not understand what he's doing, he does not understand science fiction.”
-- Andrew Probert

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Isn’t Spock supposed to be the first Vulcan in Starfleet?

No, not really.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, because he was stated to be the first Vulcan in the original series, which isn't canon anymore. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Technically, T'Pol isn't Starfleet! She's a chaperone!

--------------------
o::{====> Alshrim Dax <====}::o

~ Cry Havoc - and let slip the dogs of war!

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nobody EVER said Spock was the first Vulcan in Starfleet.. that idea was started in a couple of novels

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait a minute, you absolutely sure about that?! I mean, it's one of the biggest contradictions in original-series Trek, that how can Spock be the first Vulcan in Starfleet when the Intrepid has an all-Vulcan crew. Now you're telling us that one half of that contradiction is actually non-canon? Or is this typical TOS-hating Retcon, that Spock CAN'T be the first Vulcan in Starfleet because T'Pol is?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

I don't believe anyone has ever been able to find anything in TOS that proves or even suggests that Spock was the first. But I'll keep looking. In the meantime, by all means, let's keep believing as much fandom crap as possible to make sure this series fails.
Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poet:
Wait a minute, you absolutely sure about that?! I mean, it's one of the biggest contradictions in original-series Trek, that how can Spock be the first Vulcan in Starfleet when the Intrepid has an all-Vulcan crew. Now you're telling us that one half of that contradiction is actually non-canon?

Is this news? Spock was never stated to be the first Vulcan in Starfleet in any filmed Star Trek episode or movie. Go ahead, watch them all, it's nowhere to be found. I though everyone knew that by this point...

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually... I read this from www.startrek.com in Spock's Bio
quote:

Because the young Vulcan chose to join Starfleet, he and Sarek opened an 18-year rift over Sarek's hope his son would attend the Vulcan Science Academy. Spock was the first Vulcan to enlist in the Federation Starfleet, serving aboard the U.S.S. Enterprise under Captain Christopher Pike as a lieutenant, and later for James T. Kirk

http://www.startrek.com/library/individ.asp?ID=112508

Read it an weap boys and girls!!

But it clearly states FEDERATION STARFLEET!....

--------------------

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alshrim Dax:
Read it an weap boys and girls!!

What relevance does a quote from a Web site have with regards to the fact that, canonically, there was no mention of Spock being the first Vulcan to join Starfleet. Did I miss some ceremony in which the writers of the official Star Trek Web site gained the power to have their statements carry even the slightest authority?

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

Umm. Ya!! The site is run by Paramount!! Who owns the rights to Star Trek!!! I'd say they have an authority on Star Trek. Just reporting what's there man ... nothing more..

It's also in the encyclopedia if I'm not mistaken... I'll go home and check it for sure!

--------------------

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am going to have to dig out the videos, because I swear it was said. It may have been slightly different though, like "first vulcan Starfleet officer" or "first vulcan through the academy." And we have already filled up numerous threads arguing/explaining how that comment does not necessarily contradict the fact that there were starships fully staffed by vulcans during the period of TOS (Vulcan membership in the Federation could have been provisional, with the Vulcan military not being absorbed into Starfleet until after Spock had attended the academy.

Of course the first vulcan in Starfleet line didn't seem to make much sense at the time it was said and I wouldn't really mind if it was ignored.

quote:
No offense to composer Dennis McCarthy, but I really wish that B&B would have considered some new talent so we could get out of that “Voyager/DS9 feeling” that continued to lurk in the background of Enterprise.

I couldn't agree with you more. I didn't like the score at all. It really gave the show a DS9/Voyager feeling that it otherwise wouldn't have had (and that detracted from the mood they were trying to create).

--------------------
"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It?s us. Only us."
Rorschach

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Umm. Ya!! The site is run by Paramount!! Who owns the rights to Star Trek!!! I'd say they have an authority on Star Trek. Just reporting what's there man ... nothing more..
It's also in the encyclopedia if I'm not mistaken... I'll go home and check it for sure!

Said or shown onscreen = canon.

Stated in script or series bible, written by the Okuda's, posted on the official website, stated by Braga, Berman, Pillar, Roddenberry, and God but not said or shown onscreen = noncanon

[ September 28, 2001: Message edited by: Obi Juan ]

--------------------
"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It?s us. Only us."
Rorschach

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps