Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » $$$ Impressions of "Broken Bow" and "Enterprise" $$$ (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: $$$ Impressions of "Broken Bow" and "Enterprise" $$$
Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Obi Juan:
I am going to have to dig out the videos, because I swear it was said.

By all means. I assure you the search will be futile, but it's always fun to rewatch original series episodes.

For what it's worth, I think the myth originated with "Journey to Babel." Because Sarek disapproved of Spock's decision to join Starfleet, fans may have misinterpreted that to mean that Vulcans don't usually join Starfleet in general. In fact, it actually referred to Sarek's preference that Spock attend the Science Academy. But it's easy to see how pre-VCR fans might think otherwise... and that could grow very quickly through word of mouth.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um.. the guys on the website have made up a lot of shit.. a lot of it that will be or could be proven untrue.. i wouldnt trust it any more than the stuff that Okuda made up for the Chronology. Just because he works for Paramount doesnt mean that everything he makes up is canon (or is even plausible!)

For the record, i think that two of the older novels that could be considered canon are The Motion Picture novelization by Roddenberry and Vulcan's Glory by D.C.Fontana (the TOS staffer who crafted the Vulcans as a race in writing 'Journey to Babel' and 'Amok Time'), Since the two of them are much more important to Trek's history than those jokers B&B. Fontana's book is set during Spocks first mission on the Enterprise under Captain Pike and features a half-dozen Vulcan crewmembers of varying degrees of seniority. But its a book not filmed canon, so i cant force it down anyones throat.

[ September 28, 2001: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know whether Spock was supposed to be the first Vulcan in Starfleet, and I don't really care. I have my own supicions about how this "Temporal Cold-War" may alleviate many of the inconsistencies people are posting...

But enough Felderkarb about Vulcan primacy, back to the episode;
First the good: Liked the technology/sets/props a lot. The acting was pretty darned good and certainly above and beyond, say, "Encounter at Farpoint". The Suliban are going to be fun bad guys, and I loved that Tony "Tiny" Lister was playing a Klingon. The crew shows a lot promise both in terms of characters and actors. I like Scott Bakula a lot, but I am still having a hard time buying his character as a kind of a hard-ass. He just seems like such a nice guy. I don't know if the gel scene really needed to be in there, but I'm glad there was dialog happening (funny, but I do seem to be having trouble remembering exactly what that dialogue was...). The scene did seem a little too much. Maybe I'll like her better when the show gets its legs, but so far T'Pol is no 7of9 in my book.

And I'm sorry if you like it, but that title song really must go. It is sub-wretched. Cheapens the whole thing. "Dawson's Nebula" and all that...

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mother: "Tiring."

Me: "There is something missing."

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has the actor who played Phlox appeared anywhere else in Trek? He sounded strangely familiar.

I'm still upset over the opening theme. It doesn't sound Star Trek! Reminds me more of those music videos they put together at Trek conventions. Give me a full orchestra any day.

The plot was okay, though I should probably watch it again since I got distracted several times during the show. I thought the females and Phlox had pretty strong characters, but the other guys are rather bland, though that's probably temporary. And that thing with Archer about not being afraid of the wind was kind of forced.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tora Ziyal:
And that thing with Archer about not being afraid of the wind was kind of forced.

"Captain's Log, supplemental. Henceforth, baked beans, burritos, & curry are forbidden from being served aboard ship. Most esPECially all together."

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John Billingsley hasn't been in Trek before, but you might have seen him in something else. According to the IMDb, he's been in quite a few things before. More than any of the other cast members aside from Bakula...
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I finally saw the show tonight, and the "afraid of the wind" thing was just silly. When Archer says it to Mayweather, I mean. Of course they shouldn't be afraid of the wind. But no-one was talking about the wind. He was talking about an ion storm. And, a minute earlier, Archer and Tucker had just talked about how much repair the hull needed.

Afraid of the wind? No. Afraid of ion storms? Yes.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure Ms. Sato is scared of just about everything

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Well, yes. But, in this case, she would be justified. :-)
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps